September 19, 2014, 11:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TV battery DEAD  (Read 593 times)
laurencestarr
Handle Cranker

« on: July 01, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »

After our first camping trip in our new PU, I tried to do everything reccomended by the folks here.  DW and I backed the PU into the driveway, pulled the leads off of the PU battery (so that the co detector would not kill it) and thought we were ready for the next weeks camping trip.  I left the TV connected to the PU since we were going out camping the next Friday.  That was Sunday afternoon.

The following Friday I went to take the TV and the PU to the store to get ice and a few groceries and the TV battery was DEAD !!!!!!!  The power lock would not work and no cab lights when I did get the door open.  DW was very upset.  Here we had a brand new (our first) PU and the TV was dead.

I did disconnect the PU battery so the propane/co detector would not kill it (something I learned here), I did not disconnect the TV from the PU.  The propane/co detector killed the TV battery thru the charging line.  DUH !

Now I always disconnect the TV electrical from the PU when I stop for more than an hour or so. 

Just some fair warning for any other newbies out there...............

[

2013 Flagstaff Classic 625D
2006 Chevy Silverado
Me....... 1958
DW...... 1964
DS 1 .... 1984
DS 2 .... 1986
Atlanta, Ga.
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:07:50 AM »

The CO detector draws around 0.05A on most campers. That's around 1.2ah a day..... 8.4ah week or ~36ah a month. There may be other parasitic loads in your camper as well but I would bet that they are less than .1A total. Your TV has it's own parasitic loads and could be more than the camper.

This should not be a significant issue with your TV unless the battery in your TV is undercharged, old and or weak. If you started the TV a few times while maneuvering the PU, left a door open etc, the battery could well have been at 50% capacity when you left it.

I had an 06 Silverado and we often let it sit for a month or more because we only used that vehicle as a TV. If I left it sit for a month, I knew to put the battery charger on it over night before even attempting to start it.

I guess what I am saying is that if you ever do that again, I would simply recommend charging the TV battery over night before leaving it for a week and you should be fine. You could also leave the trailer unplugged.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
beemerphile1
Parking Heckler

NE Ohio

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:41:05 AM »

I always wire the tow vehicle using a continuous duty solenoid in the power line.  When the ignition is off the power line is off and there is no chance of drain.

Tim
19 nights camped in 2014
30 nights camped in 2013
33 nights camped in 2012
36 nights camped in 2011

Momma said; "If you argue with a fool, it makes it hard to tell which one is the fool".

2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L towing 2009 Aliner Sport  Chalet/AlinerCar Blue
1998 Ford E150 towing 2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900 TravTrl Long Blue Van Blue
1996 BMW R1100GS
2005 Trek Madone
1994 Burley tandem
austinado16
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:43:59 AM »

We've seen a number of members here drain, and sometimes ruin PUP batteries in just a week or 2 with the LP/CO/Smoke Det drawing on the camper, so I'm not surprised. 

Although I've been a victim of the overhead reading lights (4 separate ones) being left "on" in the 'burb, and that's cost me at least one battery.

Hope you didn't permanently damage either battery.  Good rule not to leave the PUP hooked up.
Tenttrailer
Parking Heckler

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »

Did you have the the fridge set to 12V?   If so it will draw about 6-8 amps per hour.

Otherwise something other then the propane detector drained the battery.   

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 11:49:08 AM by Tenttrailer » Logged

Trailmanor pulling a Toyota Sienna

Art & Joyce - - Columbus, OH via MI, PA, NY, IN

Nights camped too many to count - - - Camped 31/50 states & Canada.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: