October 24, 2014, 10:00:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coleman pop-up roof weather seal  (Read 2845 times)
hughnormus
Kindlin' Collector

« on: May 12, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »

We just bought our first popup, 1998 Coleman Destiny Series - Mesa.  My question is with the Roof Seal that sits on the bottom edge of the roof and seals to the box when the roof is all the way down.  So this is a continuous piece of seal that starts in the middle of the backside of the camper and wraps all the way around to the same location.  However, there is a 3" gap where they meet.  The previous owner, who owned it for one year, told me that is the way it's supposed to be.  Is this correct?  Or should they meet and create a full seal around the whole room?  Thanks!
BruceDeuce
Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

Mine doesnt seal per say. It just goes all the way down and seems to be sufficient. Im sure some of the Veterans of this forum will have a better answer!

1987 Sun Valley
Central N.J.
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:47:47 PM »

However, there is a 3" gap where they meet.  The previous owner, who owned it for one year, told me that is the way it's supposed to be.  Is this correct?

Nonsense ... of course that seal should go all the way around.  This is a 15 yr old camper so what's happened is the rubber has contracted with age, leaving that gap you see.  If the seal otherwise seems to be in reasonably good shape I'd leave it and try to invent a DIY solution to fill in that gap which if left as is will only allow rain water to penetrate to the inside of the camper where it can cause untold damage to the interior. Dead

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 05:33:33 PM »

An 98 Mesa came originally with an ABS roof. That gap occurs when a ABS roof is sagging. The roof spreads out and pulls the gasket apart. Have you checked the roof to see how much sag it has. I would think that after 15 years the gasket needs replacement. Check eBay for cheaper replacement gaskets.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
austinado16
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »

Welcome to PUX!!

Many times, when the weather-stripping has shrunk like yours, you can simply use finesse and pull it back into position.  "Finesse" might be simply pulling on it, or you might need to undo a few feet of it from the roof, pull on it, and re-attach, or, you might even use a heat gun or hair blow drier to get it warm/hot, and soft again, and then stretch it.

If the ABS roof is bowed, you can probably still stretch the seal. 

Otherwise, there's probably enough overhang on the roof that the gap really isn't a problem, even in the rain.

If it bugs you, automotive weather stripping is sold off bulk rolls, and you can buy something that's very similar, and glue in place with a product called 3M Weatherstrip Adheasive, or even some black silicone.  Your local autobody repair supply places will have books that show all the different sizes and shapes, and they may even have some varieties in stock.  You might even be able to find the real stuff if you hunt online.
b2220128
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 07:05:24 PM »

My Niagara had a small gap in the seal when I got it and a much larger one by the time I sold it.  I was looking for a short length of bulb seal but the sale went through before I could get several small things fixed.   I stowed my camper slightly nose high and never had water infiltration in the back. 

Tom Texas

2014 FR Rockwood A122S  Chalet/Aliner Pickup Grey '08 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

'02 Fleetwood Niagara
austinado16
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »

...  I stowed my camper slightly nose high and never had water infiltration in the back. 

Exactly.  The water runs off so fast, that there's little chance of ingress.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: