October 25, 2014, 03:29:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coleman NXT 100 Grill  (Read 7440 times)
EagleFixer
Chocks-a-lot

« on: March 01, 2013, 11:59:39 AM »

Hi All,
While browsing in Cabela's yesterday, I came across a Coleman NXT 100 grill.  It's similar to the RoadTrip grill but a bit bigger and looks, to me, a bit sturdier.  I wasn't able to find any info on it on the web but was able to find a little on the 300 model on Coleman site.  The differences are where the 100 has a single burner and flame control knob, the 300 offers dual burners and flame control knobs, dual side tables, and backlighting on the control knobs.  It also appears the 100 is sold only through Cabela's.  Do any of you have experience with these grills?  I'd really like to find some firsthand user reviews.  Thanks.

California Eagle Fixer (USAF Ret) '69 Cool
Idaho Chick '68 Wink
Idaho Spaz '97 Evil
Idaho Booger '07 Blush
Chevrolet Suburban LT 1/2 Ton '05  SUV Blue
Kodiak Cub '07  Hybrid Bronze

"When all else fails , try following directions Big Smile."
Family of Four
Chocks-a-lot

Lapeer, Mi

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »

Hi EagleFixer,
I do not have any experience with these grills but do have experience with the Webber Q series grills. I have had my Weber Q for 3 years now and still love it. It is a awesome little grill I even use it at home now. I know this is not what you were looking for but thought it would give you another option. Cheers BEER!

Michigan
DH '76
DW'76
DS'01
DD'03
03' Utah  PopUp Green
05'Travel Star 21SSO   Hybrid
2009 KZ Sportsmen 321BH  TravTrl Long Blue Pickup Blue    
2010 Ford F 150 Crew 4x4 5.4L Equal-i-zer WDH & Ford Factory brake control

"It is not so important to know everything as to appreciate what we learn"
TimK
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:12:21 AM »

Coleman has been revamping their Road Trip Grills ever since they first came out. The original (which I have) was large and sturdy, but also heavy, which many people objected to. It has 2 burners with separate controls, and three burner "tops", or cooking surfaces: the pot/pan holder, the grill, and the griddle. Each burner can be configured independently so, for example, you could be cooking hot dogs or hamburgers on the grill on one side and a pot of baked beans on the other side; or, if all you're doing is grilling for a crown, you could have grills on both burners. It's got a small shelf on each side, and a grease-and-gunk collection tray that you fill with water (simple and effective). The multiple burner configurations have enabled us to eliminate many pots and pans from what we need to pack.

The 100 looks like a pared-down version: one burner (as shown, it's got a split-top grill, but there is no mention of other cooktops) and one shelf. It's got an integral thermometer, which is a nice feature mine doesn't have. It folds rather compactly and tolls along on it's own set of two wheels. Also, the blurb says it is designed to run off the small propane bottles; I guess their main concern is "small and light". I would imagine, one could use a large propane tank with the right hose connection. I guess that compactness is Coleman's main concern.

The 200 is simply the 100's larger brother: 2 burners (single small propane bottle), and 2 shelves. Again, grills only.

The Legacy is closer to what I have, but the leg/stand system is less secure.

(I tried Coleman's own website, but got results searching for the NXT 100. It must be made for only Cabela's.)

I think you need to evaluate your in-camp cooking needs and preferences and look at how well each grill type meets your style of camp cooking.

Tim Knecht
Emmaus, PA
2013 Viking Epic 2107
2012 Subaru Forester

Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most animals.
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »

While browsing in Cabela's yesterday, I came across a Coleman NXT 100 grill.

Not that you asked but at those NXT prices you could easily buy a Weber Q100, Q120, Q200, or Q220 ... all superb performers in the portable propane grill class and which many of us who own them can heartily recommend.  My own Q100 cooked 1200+ meals over the course of 8 years here at the house and camping, then I sold it for 1/2 what I paid for it, bought a Q120 for camping and because I didn't want to spend the $$$ for a Weber Genesis for use here at the house we also bought a Q220 which lives here on the deck and is used an average of 3x a week.  All great grills. Tongue

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
EagleFixer
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »

The 100 that I saw at Cabela's gives you the option to swap out the grills with griddles.  I'm assuming this is also a feature on the 300.  I've looked at the RoadTrips and Webers but they seem a little small to me.  I'm looking to replace the RVQ.  It was great with the PUP but because of the location of the outside propane connection on the hybrid and it's size, it's not an option anymore.  I like to use indirect cooking while grilling and I've heard that's not an option with the RoadTrips because you can't close the lid while cooking.  From what I've seen on the Webers as you move up in size so does the price, substantially.  Thanks for the replies and keep 'em coming. 

Idaho Chick '68 Wink
Idaho Spaz '97 Evil
Idaho Booger '07 Blush

Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »

I've looked at the RoadTrips and Webers but they seem a little small to me.

From what I've seen on the Webers as you move up in size so does the price, substantially.

Small?  We're a family of four and have been grilling on a Q100 & Q120 for ten years now, both at home and when camping, and haven't found the smallest Q's 189 sq in cooking surface "small".  Some do cook for more people and prefer the larger Q200 / Q220 which offers a 280 sq in cooking surface but I've never found a grill this large necessary nor worth carting around for camping.  As for price the Q100 is $149 US at Home Depot and just $50 more for the much larger Q200.  With a porcelain coated cast iron grill the Weber Q doesn't require a high output burner and therefore uses a minimal amount of gas ... with a burner rating of just 8500 BTU a Q100 / Q120 could run full tilt for 2.5 hrs on a single 16.4 oz canister. Tongue

Oz Mods Gallery

Family of Four
Chocks-a-lot

Lapeer, Mi

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 06:43:47 PM »

I also have a family of four and cook with the Weber Q 1oo and have never had a problem. As a matter of fact I have cooked hamburgers and hot dogs for 6 people one meal. I do not use the little propane canisters, I bought a Marshell Extend-A-Flow Propane Kit RV Camper and tied in into my camper propane tank.  Like I said I even use it for our home grill. IMO you cant beat it. Best grill I have ever owned. And they do make bigger ones like OZ said.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 06:53:11 PM by Family of Four » Logged

Michigan
DH '76
DW'76
DS'01
DD'03
03' Utah  PopUp Green
05'Travel Star 21SSO   Hybrid
2009 KZ Sportsmen 321BH  TravTrl Long Blue Pickup Blue    
2010 Ford F 150 Crew 4x4 5.4L Equal-i-zer WDH & Ford Factory brake control

"It is not so important to know everything as to appreciate what we learn"
EagleFixer
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:22:20 PM »

All I'm glad the Weber works for you but it doesn't work for me.  I was looking for experiences with the NXT.  The NXT uses the 1 lb. bottles so I don't think that's high pressure.  It has over 300 square inches of cooking area with a porcelain coated grill.  With my military discount and a gift card, I paid less than $200. The Weber 200 was $250 at Cabela's.  Also, unlike the Weber, the wheels/stand are built in and not a seperate accessory. I'm probably gonna give it a try tomorrow with a couple of ribeyes. Not knocking the Weber and had it in my sights until I stumbled on the NXT.

Idaho Chick '68 Wink
Idaho Spaz '97 Evil
Idaho Booger '07 Blush

mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 07:54:22 PM »

The NXT uses the 1 lb. bottles so I don't think that's high pressure.

the 1lb bottle are high pressure. Whether or not the device is high pressure depends on the regulator in the device.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »

All I'm glad the Weber works for you but it doesn't work for me.

An interesting conclusion if you've never owned one.

The NXT uses the 1 lb. bottles so I don't think that's high pressure.

16.4 oz canisters are high pressure, just as are 5 lb, 10 lb, 20 lb, etc tanks.

The Weber 200 was $250 at Cabela's.

And as I already pointed out just $199 at Home Depot.

Also, unlike the Weber, the wheels/stand are built in and not a seperate accessory.

And when camping simpler is better as there's just that much less to drag around ... I park my Q on the campsite picnic table so I have no need for a stand.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Wink

Oz Mods Gallery

Chad_Coleman
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 06:39:51 PM »

Hi EagleFixer,

My name is Chad and I am the Global Category Manager at Coleman for Grilling. I am glad you are interested in the NXT 100. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. The NXT family has been my project for the last 2 years, and I know it inside and out. In short here are the differences:

NXT100
15,000 BTUs
1 Burner
1 Painted Steel Table
Gray Porcelain Coated Lid

NXT 200
20,000 BTUs
2 Burners with Heat Core Technology (This is an added port on each of the burners to give intensity to where a pot would sit.)
2 Stainless Steel Tables
Black Porcelain Coated Lid

NXT 300
20,000 BTU
2 Burners with Heat Core Technology (This is an added port on each of the burners to give intensity to where a pot would sit.)
2 Painted Steel Tables
Red Porcelain Coated Lid
Blue Control Panel Accent Lighting

All 3 models can use the pot support, cast iron griddle, cast iron grill grate. You can mix and match the cooking surfaces. All items should be up on Coleman.com now.

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have! If you have already picked an NXT 100, thank you. I would love your feedback.

All the best, and happy/safe grilling!
EagleFixer
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »

Chad,
Thanks for the info.  I wound up getting the 300 and I have to say so far I'm thoroughly impressed.  Haven't taken it out on the road yet but so far it's exactly what I was looking for.  I've done several steaks and chops on it and all came out quite well.  I'm planning to pick up the pot support and from the looks of it, it may replace my Camp Chef 3-burner stove as the 300 is lighter and more mobile.  With the built in stand/wheels I don't have to purchase a separate stand.  For those of you looking for something a bit bigger than the Weber Q, I highly recommend the NXT 300.

Idaho Chick '68 Wink
Idaho Spaz '97 Evil
Idaho Booger '07 Blush

EagleFixer
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »

Oh yeah.  I must have gotten the 500 because I got everything mentioned on the 300 plus the black lid from the 200... Wink

Idaho Chick '68 Wink
Idaho Spaz '97 Evil
Idaho Booger '07 Blush

tplife
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:44:27 AM »

Consumer Reports top-rated the Charbroil Infrared, and we have one.  There is a portable model, Charbroil Grill2Go X200.  Once you switch over to infrared, there's no turning back.  Your food cooks 20% faster, there are no hotspots, and because the flame is separated from the food (radiation grills your food) much more moisture is retained than regular BBQs.  Downside is longer preheat, but the faster cooking makes the time a wash vs. old-school BBQs. We've had the Coleman Road Trip grill and it's poor construction, uneven heat distribution and need to constantly move the food around the hotspots made us convert it to an emergency stove burner.  We even found one like-new in a campground trash can, and we know why.  The Weber Tabletop (we have one) Gas Grill has stood up well for us for years and we are on our 2nd one currently.  We hope to switch to a Q series portable as family has a Q200 and it is also highly rated by Consumer Reports.  We love our Coleman stoves, lanterns, and coolers, but have consistently found their other products to be the lowest rung of imported junk - great for one-time campers but not acceptable for quality gear that lasts.  Their coolers even include a note to leave the meltwater in the cooler, which any physics student will tell you is bad advice indeed...unless you're an ice salesman.  Martini

Charbroil Grill2Go X200:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:47:31 AM by tplife » Logged

San Diego County, CA

2011 Prius
Torklift EcoHitch 2" Receiver
Firestone RideRite air suspension
Thule Transporter Combi
Optima Blue-Top AGM Portable Power
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: