September 22, 2014, 08:11:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sixnall Bike Rack Review  (Read 5174 times)
Onlookingvega
Handle Cranker

Milwaukee, WI, exploring land of cheese & beyond

« on: October 23, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »

Our bikes go with us on almost all trips. I was looking for a system that allowed us to carry the bikes without drilling into the roof of our PUP. After much research, I decided on the Sixnall bike rack. We were actually on a camping trip heading to Green Bay and I saw a sign advertising the Sixnall bike rack by the interstate..so I called. Come to find out, they are manufactured in Osh Gosh, just a few miles from where I was. Jim, the owner was very courteous on the phone. He went out of his way to meet me after hours. I met him at the building and he offered me a 4 bike floor model. I gladly accepted. I bought this in August, but wanted to get some trips under my belt with it before my review. 5 trips and hundreds of miles later..I'm a happy camper. So here we go:

Cons: I don't have AC on the roof. If you want to open the vent, you have to remove the entire rack. It is not heavy and I lift it alone. I believe it is around 30 pounds. If I only need to crack the vent or leave it closed, I leave the rack on the roof. If you have AC, you can order it so that the laterals allow room for it.  The straps do stretch after the first rain, not a big deal. Just watch and tighten as necessary. I do not tighten it to the max b/c I don't want to dent any molding or bend the awning poles.

Pros: I love this thing, really. It is light, easy to take on and off. If I take it off, I set it on the ground and it serves as a nice rack to keep bikes organized on the site. I moved the swing arms easily for my kids' bikes by drilling holes in the laterals. I can move it for slight adjustments on tongue weight. I don't have to remove any wheels on the bikes. The laterals can be adjusted if necessary. My kids' bikes have smaller tires but my Trek jump bike has very thick tires and this rack can accomodate both. It has secured the bikes on our travels very nicely. I did buy some extra toggle bungies, it came with 4.

As for assembly, I cannot help there. As mentioned before, I bought a floor model. But I'm am positive Jim would assist you in any way possible. Superb customer service.

And since you guys love photos...here you are;

This is a photo I took to show you the swingarms and feet. The feet are adjustable vertically so if you have a bow in your roof, the rack can still sit level. The swingarms can be ordered at 2 different lengths to fit a variety of tire sizes.

Here is a photo of my dual hitch receiver.  I have a Yakima hitch 4-bike carrier that fits on the top receiver( my Packers cover is on it in this picture). So if we have to transport the bikes once we get to the site, we load them on the Yakima. The bottom of the Yakima does hit the trailer tongue jack, so for now I throw it in the back of my SUV. I'll be switching out the trailer tongue in the future so I can carry it on the dual receiver.

And here is basically how the setup looks. The white straps can be cleaned with a bleach solution.

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try to answer. Or I can take additional pics if anybody wants to see any other components. Happy Trails  Cheesy

*edited to add*  When I store the PUP for the winter, the rack will hang in the garage with the bikes neatly attached to it. Nice way to organize the bikes over the winter.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:02:33 PM by Onlookingvega » Logged

PopUp Gold Pickup Green
2004 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
2009 GMC Yukon
1999 Flagstaff
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:48:37 PM »

Thx. for the review. I need to figure a way to carry 4 bikes for our family. That's definitely a possibility.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
travellite
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:33:20 PM »

can you fit a long wheelbase recumbent on it?

John L.
1994 Coleman Destiny Roanoke,1998 Dodge Grand Caravan
Rules work only when their intended environment is as predicted
Beacher
Parking Heckler

Sunny Southern California - USA

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:57:53 PM »

Some late model popups have very soft metal at the bottom edge of the PopUp's box.  The sheet metal isn't really backed up by any structural member.  If the Sixnail strap system is used, it will result in bowing in and/or bending the sheet metal at the bottom edges of the PopUp on these models.

Back in 2004 at the grand Canyon I saw a brand new Starcraft pull into the campsite with four bikes on the rack, nice!  However, it had really bent sheetmetal where the straps went under to the frame of the PopUp.

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman - GTE Niagara  ... For $ale
2014 Thor - Hurricane 34E
Onlookingvega
Handle Cranker

Milwaukee, WI, exploring land of cheese & beyond

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »

can you fit a long wheelbase recumbent on it?
I don't have personal experience with recumbent bikes. But if you go to their website and click on "photo 2", there is a picture of one. I'd call and send in measurements. http://www.sixnall.com/pop-up-camper-bike-rack-2.php

PopUp Gold Pickup Green
2004 Dodge Ram Quad 4x4
2009 GMC Yukon
1999 Flagstaff
depotter1@att.net
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 05:31:27 PM »

I would love to see more pictures, do you have them on a photo sharing site?  We are thinking about this rack, but I am nervous about strapping over he awning.  Do you think you could strap it front to rear instead of side to side? 

Thanks!  Val

PS I wish you could make the pics on the sixnall website big enough to see the detail of the thing, I'd like to see more before dropping that kind of money on it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: