September 30, 2014, 02:09:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: roof winch toggle switch  (Read 1279 times)
jeffr
Handle Cranker

« on: September 10, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »

It was stuck and I tried to get it to work for me.  I made it move, after putting way too much force on it and snapping it.  I need to replace this before next weeks trip.  Any ideas where to get one quickly?  Camping World?

mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:59:57 AM »

Exactly what kind of switch is it? Looks like a momentary contact SPDT switch. You will not have any problems finding it on Ebay, except for the time factor. Otherwise, I would look through the electric section at your local auto shop. A center off SPDT switch could be used for a temporary replacement until you get a momentary contact switch.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 05:30:58 AM »

Check NAPA.  We got one there recently.  Cost was about $12.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
jeffr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 08:18:18 PM »

Ok,  this is what I have.  I thought I could just unscrew the old one and screw the new one in.  But I guess the wiring is different.  How do I wire this now? I'm not good with wiring at all.  I can't even tell what this diagram on the switch is.  On the bottom photo the far right set of wires are the hot ones coming from the battery.  Any help would be great!  Smiley

K9Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 09:03:26 PM »

What make/model system do you have?

Where did you buy the switch? 

I can help you, but I need just a tad more info before I tell you which way to hook up the wires

PS:  The ABCDEF on the old switch more than likely (99%) matches up with the 123456 on your new one... label the wires next time and you can switch them easily... or switch them one at a time so not to get things messed up.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:08:50 PM by Flester1 » Logged
K9Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »

Ok, here goes:

Looking at the bottom of the switch with it in the following orientation:

X X

X X

X X

It should be:

To Black Motor Wire                   To Lower Limit Switch Wire

Negative Wire from Battery         Positive wire from Battery

To RED motor wire                     To Upper Limit Switch

Does that sound right... anyone?

Here is a link to a manual for the Powerwinch Model P55000

www.popupportal.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=3124
jeffr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »

It is a Rockwood 1910.  I thought I did have it lined up the same way, our at least I thought, but wouldn't work.
SkipD
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 06:42:05 AM »

It is REALLY IMPORTANT that you match up not only the contact set arrangement but the current capacity of the switch.  If you try to use a switch that is not rated for the expected current, you'll burn up the switch and maybe more if the switch gets too badly overheated.

Skip & Cindy  USA  Wisconsin
KA9DDN and KA9PZG
2001 Coleman Santa Fe
2002 GMC Envoy  PopUp Green  SUV White
K9Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 06:51:40 AM »

It is a Rockwood 1910.  I thought I did have it lined up the same way, our at least I thought, but wouldn't work.

What is the winch/lift model???
Brewster
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 02:01:36 PM »

I know this is a little off topic and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but that switch makes me nervous as he!!.   I'm afraid one of the kids is going to start pushing it at camp or when the roof is latched.  I'm thinking of replacing it with a keyed switch.   Any thoughts?

12 Banshee SV1
07 Toyota Tacoma
Nights camping 2012.     25
SkipD
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »

I know this is a little off topic and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but that switch makes me nervous as he!!.   I'm afraid one of the kids is going to start pushing it at camp or when the roof is latched.  I'm thinking of replacing it with a keyed switch.   Any thoughts?
That would be a very good idea.  You could also use a keyed interlock switch along with an easier-to-use switch for the actual control.

Skip & Cindy  USA  Wisconsin
KA9DDN and KA9PZG
2001 Coleman Santa Fe
2002 GMC Envoy  PopUp Green  SUV White
jeffr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 03:22:20 PM »

After I raise the roof I take off the cable so no one can accident touch it.  I bought the switch from orielly auto parts.  Its a higher amp rating but that's ok, right?
K9Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »

After I raise the roof I take off the cable so no one can accident touch it.  I bought the switch from orielly auto parts.  Its a higher amp rating but that's ok, right?

A higher amp rating won't hurt anything, so long as the fuses in place are the appropriate size.  Did you get it working? 
jeffr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 05:53:10 PM »

I'm not at home right now to try, but I'm anxious to put this thing together. 
K9Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »

Attempt to find out what model winch/lift you have.  That will save making a mistake when wiring the switch up. 

Did you see the "diagram" that I posted earlier with the wire locations?  That is for a specific model, but I'm 99% sure that if you run the appropriate wires to those poles on the switch, you will be fine. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: