July 30, 2014, 09:11:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorhome...to Travel Trailer...to Pop-Up  (Read 4563 times)
chiefd
Parking Heckler

Abingdon MD

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »

It's hard to appreciate the issue untill you've lived it a while.  It is true, the issue isn't so much the mechanics of folding or unfolding the trailer.  That's really no big deal.

For us, the set-up time issues have to do with primarily two issues;
1)  The lack of integral inside storage in the pup for things like the plates, utensils, and other stuff that live in the camper, but in plastic totes or plastic drawers that ride in the floor.   They have to be moved out of the way for set-up, then repositioned onto the counter top.
2) The lack of access to the inside when loading up at home.  We can't put the fridge stuff in the pup untill after it's set-up. We can't put the dry-good food and snacks in the pup. We can't make the beds if they were stripped after the last trip.  We can't load the clothes.  All of this stuff has to be loaded either into the TV or jamed into the pup on the floor near the small door while we are hooking up... then moved out of the way for set-up, then put away for camp, then reverse when leaving.

..... and yes, I am dreaming about moving in the opposite direction as the OP, to a TT.

Good points and it speaks to checking floorplans.  All of our plates, dishes, silverware, napkins etc are stored away in the cabinets where we use them throughout the camping trip.  They reside in those spaces all of the times.  So there is no moving stuff to open and close the PUP. 

As far as clutter is concened it is about vertical storage for food and oher items so we have shelving that collapses on itself when stored.  When opened on top of the counter the top shelf is around 6 foot high.  Ample storage for 5 of us for food, snacks, etc.

Again check floorplans and imagine how you will store items and where and how you will want to live in the space.  We do keep our plates, pans etc by the sink and stove while towels, rags additional blankets are kept by one of the beds in a cabinet.

Good luck in your search.  as manualman said rent one and see if its really what you want

Paul (DH) 55
Laurie (DW) 58
2008 Pathfinder
2013 4 Runner
2006 Rockwood 2514G  PopUp Grey

"I only drink beer on days that end in Y"

Our Camping Pics and Mods

Nights Camped 07 - 25
Nights Camped 08 - 28
Nights camped 09 - 35
Nights camped 10 - 29
Nights camped 11 - 20
Nights camped 12 - 23
Nights camped 13 - 23
Nights camped 14 - 0 scheduled 20 so far
Beartooth
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 06:30:39 AM »

I'm supprised the stuff I manage to get into the tent trailer and the box of the truck. The other option that has helped for me is my front storage rack or as some other tent trailers have the closable front storage compartment. The weight of the stuff you stash on or in the front compartment wouldn't hinder the avalanche bad at all.  Everything from mountain bikes and coolers to chainsaw an axe and skis go on my front deck.(bottom line anything that comes to your mind)  Different each time depending on what kind of outing I'm going on.  Even with the closable front storage tent trailers the xtra stuff is protected from the elements unlike the rack I've got.  If it's xtra storage you need one of these options could be good to go for you.  By the way I'm liking the decision you've chosen. Welcome back to old school!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:39:36 AM by Beartooth » Logged
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2012, 10:24:23 AM »

Over the last 40+ years, I've gone both directions and seem to be starting over again.

'69-70...8' Nimrod PU "Tent" trailer
'70-72...8' slide in "6-Pack" camper in '65 1/2T Chevy PU.
'73-77...11.5' slide in camper in '73 1T Dually Chevy PU
'78-'82...'78 28' GMC Class A motorhome.
'83-2000. 45' Passport ketch sailboat......no wheels but just a gloried 45' long 14' wide camper.
'04-'06... 12' '02 Coleman Tacoma PU
'07-09... 20' '98 TrailManor
'10-12... 20' '04 Trailmanor
Somewhere in the future........ ~25' TT

I'm seeing a trend re-emerging here, only this time I'll end up with my ashes IN the water instead of living ON the water. Approve
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:37:38 AM by wavery » Logged

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
Coley
Handle Cranker

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »

I suppose that you could just skip this step and go straight to a tent.  Cheesy

It's funny to see a fellow Fredericksburg(ian?) on here.

We just picked up a used Quicksilver--that's about as minimalist as you get and still have wheels.

2010 Quicksilver 10.0 behind a 2012 Odyssey with a few kids in the back
nhlakes
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 05:35:52 AM »

Over the last 30+ years we went from backpacking, to canoe camping, to a hybrid, to small tent camping (via motorcycle), and now a Quicksilver tent trailer.  As stated above simplicity is what we were after these days.

You won't spend much time moving stuff around if you don't bring much stuff. ;)

Now that our boys are grown, we don't need much space (or stuff) for weekend jaunts.  The QS 10 has more space and storage than we need and is a breeze to setup.

2011 Outback pulling a 2010 QuickSilver 10.0
JungleJim
Chocks-a-lot

I'm watching you from my campsite...

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:59 PM »

Go West,

So do you still have the Chevy Avalanche? Will this be your tow vehicle?

You mentioned storage and gas prices as reason for the switch. Even though you will get better mpg towing a popup with the Chevy Avalanche, it won't be a great increase. And a lot of members here recommend something large like the Chevy Avalanche to tow even the smallest of popups  Wink

Have you looked at the weights of some of the modern popups? They're not much lower than a TT.

If storage is your main reason, then a popup will meet that goal.

PopUp Grey  SUV Green
2011 Quicksilver 10.0
Go West
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »

Thank you for all of the "welcomes" and the suggestions in getting started with my pop-up purchase.  The advice to rent a PUP as a try-out, and to study floor plans with an eye toward function and storage - all great suggestions to make sure I "buy my second PUP first." 

Besides air conditioning, my only other desires would be a propane-fired furnace and hot water heater. I'm reading up on all the other features -- the pro's and con's of having the on-board toilet and shower, for example.  For my needs, with no young children along, I 'm leaning against those features.  I'm considering units with slide-outs, just for the extra space on those bad-weather days when we'll be happily "stuck" in the pup.  As the Avalanche will pull most any pop-up, my only consideration there is "more weight = more gas."

I'm hoping to find a lightly used model, but for now am wide-open to what the market has to offer.  My son and I also backpack (we did several days on the Appalachian Trail last year) so I want at least a few creature comforts when we go RV-camping.  Before I decide on anything, I will be doing a lot of reading here first!

Between Trips
Off Duty Moderator
PUX is my life

North Texas

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »

Have you looked at the weights of some of the modern popups? They're not much lower than a TT.

Weight isn't so much a factor as is the full height of a TT working like a parachute against his Avalanche that will make the difference in MPG. The Av probably won't even know the popup is back there.

USA  2007 KZ Spree 320BHS  TravTrl Long Black SUV Grey  2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L PSD  Texas
 PopUp Green 1976 Starcraft Starmaster 8     September 11     1999 Keystone Cabana 1700  Hybrid
photo gallery
D-mo
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 07:04:11 PM »

I will probably get lynched for this .. but here it goes anyways. 
From a Tow trailer to a PUP is large step down.
You will now deal with raising and colapsing your trailer, moving stuff in and out of your tent trailer, and issues when it rains.  Having owned 2 PUPs in the past and now an Aframe, I would suggest an Aframe to minimize setup, onboard storage and weather issues.  These units are not for everyone, but if you are only two ... they can make a nice home for the holidays, and are extremely easy to setup and tow.  And apart from what everyone believes .. they do hold alot of stuff .. if nessessary.

d-mo

D-mo
2008 Nissan Frontier 4x4
2011 Rockwood A122 hardside
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:52 PM »

As the Avalanche will pull most any pop-up, my only consideration there is "more weight = more gas."

There'll be so little difference in your Av's fuel mileage whether you're towing a 2000 lb popup or one that grosses out at 4000 lbs that the difference you'd notice in fuel mileage returns would be marginal at best.  Towing a fully loaded 4000 lb hybrid with my 2006 Silverado I typically averaged 11 mpg, these days I tow a 5500 lb fully loaded travel trailer with my 2005 Avalanche (same engine, same transmission, same axle ratio) and typically average 10.6 mpg ... or in other words hardly any difference at all.  Towing a low profile trailer like a popup will of course yield much better overall fuel mileage returns because the wind resistance created by a popup will be so much less than with a full height trailer but any difference in weight will make so little difference as to be insignificant.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
manualman
Parking Heckler

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 12:04:42 PM »

On the other hand, staying with a sub 3,500# popup WOULD allow a broader range of choices for your NEXT tow vehicle when that day comes.  You might appreciate that is gas is $6 / gallon by then!   Shocked

'12 Honda Odyssey (w/ an 03 in reserve!)
05 Fleetwood Allegiance (aka Sun Valley)
w/ 350mini & Prodigy
regis101
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 12:39:57 PM »

I can have the PUP up in <15 minutes.  The other 45 is setting up camp.  I usually bring too much stuff and a third of it stays in the TV.

I was camping this past weekend and stayed until Monday.  On Sunday, I was able to kick back and watch the other 90% pack up for the noon check out time.  Everything from diesel pushers to tenters.  All age groups.  Saw a TrailManor in action close up.  Everybody spent the better part of an hour doing their thing.  Plus one has to think about the things to do at home.  What about the unpacking time.  Some have to take their rig back to the storage yard.  It's all about time and how it's managed.  I was alone on Sunday night.  The wife had work and the kidz had skool.
When the fire was about spent, I took some time to stage everything near the PUP, back into their respective tubs.  The inside was pretty well cleaned up. One more log onto the fire and one more class of wine and my day was over.
Come Monday morning, I was hitched up in thirty minutes.
YMMV

Peace,
Me, wifey, two kidz
2010 Palomino Y-4100
'98 E150 Club Wagon
JungleJim
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »

Weight isn't so much a factor as is the full height of a TT working like a parachute against his Avalanche that will make the difference in MPG. The Av probably won't even know the popup is back there.

Absolutely agree. That's why I asked if he was still planning on towing with the Avalanche.
 I thought maybe the reason for going to a popup was to be able to tow it with another type of vehicle.

PopUp Grey  SUV Green
2011 Quicksilver 10.0
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »

......................You might appreciate that is gas is $6 / gallon by then!   Shocked
My bet is........ gas will be ~$3 a gallon by November elections.  Wink

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
JungleJim
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 07:36:45 PM »

......................You might appreciate that is gas is $6 / gallon by then!   Shocked
My bet is........ gas will be ~$3 a gallon by November elections.  Wink

I think Wavery is right!!!

PopUp Grey  SUV Green
2011 Quicksilver 10.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: