April 24, 2014, 12:25:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Something from nothing  (Read 8795 times)
austinado16
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 04:53:25 PM »

^^Ooh, good finds you guys!^^

Our clawfoot tub in the guest bath was a water trough in a cow pasture.  As such, the feet were long gone.  No feet is a problem with clawfoots, because the feet are special to the tub....not that each tub has it's own feet, but that it's almost impossible to find feet that fit a tub that doesn't have any.  Fortunately, I'd remember seeing 4 feet on a shelf in an antique store 30mi away.  Tossed the tub in the bed of the truck, drove up there and sure enough...perfect match.  Impossible find!  Ran the tub over to the powder coaters, and the rest is history.
Spirit Deer
Sr. Moderator
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2012, 06:54:10 AM »

I just love stories like that!  That's kinda how things went with my DO tables, bits and pieces from here and there.

We're gonna be watching GW's bag and purse section like hawks now.  The store wants $20 for a carry case for Fred's new e reader, and I'm not willing to pay that.  Bet I can find something just as nice for a whole lot less!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:55:35 AM by Spirit Deer » Logged

Rae, Fred, and Sugar

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)

Join us at the 2014 Go Big or Stay Home Mid-Con Rally at Yellowstone!
luvourjayco
Back-er-in-er

Niagara Falls, ON

« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2012, 11:45:38 AM »

I made a case for my ereader from a notepad holder from the dollar store.  put 4 velcro dots on the back of my reader with the corresponding pieces onto the case.  Works like the $30 ones they wanted at Chapters.

The thing I used was a notepad holder that folded over like a book with a slot for a pen in the middle and slots on the opposite side for business cards and such cost me $1.00 total as I had the velcro in the crafting bin.  In the end I wound up with a nice note pad too as well as the cover that makes slipping my reader into my purse very easy and safe!

2000 Jayco Designer

pulled by a 1999 Dodge  Pickup Blue 2500
Spirit Deer
Sr. Moderator
PUX is my life

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2012, 01:20:50 PM »

Good job!  I love re-purposing stories, too.

We bought a very nice slip case with the reader.  It was also on clearance.  Now I'm looking for a padded case that will hold the cords and stand, plus the reader, for travel and storage.

Rae, Fred, and Sugar

luvourjayco
Back-er-in-er

Niagara Falls, ON

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2012, 04:30:17 PM »

All those cords are stored in my briefcase for my laptop so I am fortunate to not have to think about that one.

2000 Jayco Designer

pulled by a 1999 Dodge  Pickup Blue 2500
scoutermom
Chocks-a-lot

1973 Starmaster 6 pushing a 1999 Chevy AstroVan

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 06:21:16 AM »

both my campers were bargains - bought to be inexpensive and for me to do some refurbishing to make them comfortable.  the first only needed some roof sideboards repaired.  The friend of a friend who sold it to me said I could have the camper for $200 if I would do the work and save him he chore of doing it. he had even already bought the lumber and materials and threw them in.  My son and I had many happy years in that little camper, and i eventually sold it to another young couple with a child - for $200.

My 2nd camper was older and bigger, and was probably not as much of a 'deal' as it has needed way more work and $ than I originally suspected when I bought it off E-bay for $400.   I've put alot of work into it, and lots of materials, sweat and money. Still, it's given me alot of joy, including the sense of accomplishment in the various repairs and upgrades.

I have long been a strong advocate of conservationism, and the idea of reduce, reuse, recycle and refurbish.  In addition I have a love of old and well used/ loved items.  I like things with a history to them; a story to tell.

I  have a maple chest of drawers I picked up free off a curb - that just happens to match the bedroom set that was given to my parents as a wedding present! I refinished all the pieces to match my bedframe.  I have any number of furniture pieces i have picked up that way - some I've kept, some I've used awhile or sold at a garage sale.  One is a maple card table - another curbside find - an Ethan Allen!  the top folds in half back over itself and pivots on it's base, making the table, when stored, 1/2 it's size. the pivot top hides a small space underneath that can hold your cards, score pads, pens and game pieces.  I've always meant to refinish it, too - as it's pretty gummed up on the top from heavy use - but the thing is so darn useful, I can never stop using it long enough to strip it!

One favorite is an old kitchen chair ( another maple piece) I picked up off a curb to use with my old student desk from my high school days.  At the time, I needed a chair for my son to use the desk in his room... he was 3 or 4 and VERY into dinosaurs.  I painted the chair blue, painted a stream and clouds on it and user transfer paper to trace dinosaurs from his coloring books onto the chair creating a scene.  We then 'colored' the dinosaurs in bright, wild colors and coated the whole thing in clear varnish.  Jon's almost 22 now -and while we've had all kinds of orpahned chairs thru the house over the years, THAT one he won't give up!

I like maple furniture -  and they don't make it anymore.  it's a nice hard wood, fine grained, takes a stain well so it can be stained to match almost any type of wood.  Oak is too rough and heavy,(and it slivers!) and pine is too soft. Most old furniture has better joints and workmanship, and if it breaks it's more likely to be repairable. you can't cut dovetail joints in most oak - it's too rough grained!

here's one of my more recent camping projects -
A dutch oven cooking table made out of an old medical walker (lightweight, folds flat and can hold 350 lbs!) and the broiler drawer to a non-working gas stove my son was taking to the local recycler .  the drawer has a built-in windbreak, can hold two 12" DO's, and it's enameled finish can take heat and not rust. The broiler pan makes a good stand for my coal chimney or even another DO if needed!

Spirit Deer
Sr. Moderator
PUX is my life

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »

Great ideas and finds!  I love the DO table. 

Rae, Fred, and Sugar

Kiwi Camper
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:17 AM »

I would love to see pictures of the DO table.  Sounds great!

Melany
Brentwood, TN
2007 - Ford Expedition (Roxy)
2013 - Rockwood Roo 23SS -(Freddie Roo)
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »

I love that DO table..... A little on the morbid side but quite functional. I;ll bet it's a fun conversational piece too..... you know.... neighbors stop & stare, then strike up a conversation. I love it!!!!!

I made a similar table from a HF folding table but it's a bit much to pack and it's cumbersome. That thing is totally awesome......... (even if it is a little morbid).

On the other hand, if anyone gets a sprained ankle.... you're ready.... double duty.... Big Smile

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
austinado16
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 08:26:57 PM »

Laura, the DO Table is a treat!!  Nice work
scoutermom
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »

not so morbid, wavery - right down the street from our local thrift shop is the local rehab center..... my mom was there last year, and they INSISTED she use a walker while she was there recovering from her illness ( she's 87).  They thought she would be weak and frail - they don't know MY mom! LOL!  The majority of patients there aren't elders - they're folks with knee replacements and sports injuries - walkers abound and many of them end up in the thrift shop - at about $3 each.  I got mine free ( from a friend who had a relative who'd been there for replacement knees) and luckily I got it just before mom got sick - so she could have used it once she got home, but she stubbornly refused.  Medicare will provide  a new walker about every 2? or 3 yrs? I think - thus the reason so many are around in garages, etc.
ForestCreature
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 04:14:57 AM »

Great table ! I was going to use a walker to make one too. But then I got a camp chef DO table
as a birthday gift. I still have the walker tho.

Marcy
2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS

2003 Fleetwood Wilderness 27 H
98 Aliner LXE   Chalet/Aliner

Our Pics
Spirit Deer
Sr. Moderator
PUX is my life

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 05:31:03 AM »

I was going to make one from a walker, too, but ended up getting rid of it when I found other parts I liked.  I have three tables now so probably don't need more.

Rae, Fred, and Sugar

wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 07:52:18 AM »

OMG...... I just realized that the leg lengths are independently adjustable..... Perfect for setting up on uneven ground....... I've gotta have one.

We have an assisted living building across the street from us and I see people out there walking with those all the time..... OOOOOOPS!!!! There's one now...... gotta go......
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:54:34 AM by wavery » Logged

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
scoutermom
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 03:59:49 AM »

ROTFL! Wavery, I can just piocture you out there trying to snatch some poor old lady's walker......

Because of my boys constant metal recycling rounds ( the last few summers when ALL of us were unemployed - that was our gas money and it PAYS - esp with a metal recycler center  right here in town!) We have picked up all kinds of medical equipment.  it is PURE aluminum, and therefore is accepted by recyclers at the highest $ rate per lb.

Because of medical standards, it's also some of the best QUALITY workmanship you'd want to see - bath seats, toilet arm supports, grab bars, crutches, walkers - smooth finishes, no burrs or rough edges and stonger and sturdier than anything you can buy.  My mom has an old bath seat they picked up in her garage by the back door - it's adjusted to a height that fits her perfectly and gives her a sturdy place to put on and remove her 'outdoor' shoes. Before that, I used it while gardening.  They are balanced to take stress, adjustable to various heights, can take heavy cleaning (and water) - Minimal weight rating on anything medical is usually 250 lbs, and many are 350 or more.   if you can get over the 'eewww' factor of knowing someone else used it (and bleach or comet and a scrub brush go a long way) there's nothng wrong with making use of them. Also, many end up on the curb practically new, because someone only needed it for a short while, (surgery, accident recovery) and insurance or medicare will often pay for another if you have another medical issue later.  That was something I discovered when my mom was hospitalized and in rehab for almost 2 months last year.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: