April 23, 2014, 07:13:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coleman Parts ( Screen Door Handle )  (Read 2835 times)
bassinbubba
Wheel Chocker

« on: November 14, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »

While I was winterizing yesterday I went to open my screen door and part of the handle broke off. I had my wife go the camper place down the street that was a coleman dealer and they don't have the parts. Any idea or links that you can go to for Coleman Parts? Thanks
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »

usually you can use a standard screen door handle set with a little modification.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
gec66
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 11:24:22 AM »

I bought one off e-bay last spring.  Pretty sure it was a knock-off, but it worked fine.  Here is one of the current listings for $9.74 + shipping.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/JR-Products-10795-Coleman-Screen-Door-Latch-/270847382160?hash=item3f0fc31290&item=270847382160&pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

2007 Honda Odyssey
2004 Fleetwood Bayside
Prodigy P2
Reese 400 Single Bar WDH
bassinbubba
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 12:06:41 PM »

Thanks exactly what I need
gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »

Awesome. I need one too. Since the ebay listing had the manufacturer and the part number, I found it on amazon. Price is a little higher, but shipping is less. Seems like JR Products makes most of the hardware for my camper, and Amazon sells it all!

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-10795-Coleman-Screen/dp/B0031P6B3Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1321381795&sr=1-3

South Carolina    PopUp Blue Pickup White  
'96 Coleman Niagara; '02 Ford Ranger
RhinoDave
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 06:29:07 PM »

After replacing mine twice and having them both become too hard to use (had to push the button really hard), I switched to a standard handle that I bought at a garage sale for a buck. I used the inside part of the Coleman latch and the outside portion of the standard handle. It's much easier to open and use this way.
bassinbubba
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 07:35:50 PM »

Thats a nice modification
Cheyenne06
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »

Before anyone does the big screen door handle mod it might be a good idea to verify it won't dig into your ceiling when the door is stored and pop'd down. I'm sure it varies from model to model, but that would never work on mine.

The design of an 06 Fleetwood Cheyenne is actually so bad that the front bed bow - when its laid down flat on the bed - actually passes directly underneath the middle of the lever handle (that is on the inside of the door that we can't see in Rhino's pics above) and the lever sits on the bow when the top is down! If you leave blankets on the bed, or if you lock the door handle so it can't be depressed as it sits on top of the bed bow it destroys the handle during travel. Someone at Fleetwood messed up the design and if the storage spot for the door was just an inch farther back (or forward) all would be well.  I know that has nothing to do with the replacement latch parts (of which I bought a few before I figured out what was destroying the handle! They are all nearly the same but seem to vary in spring strength from one source to another) but just a warning to measure and look carefully before thinking you can add a physically bigger handle. Glad it works for others. Wish it would for me! I'd have an impression of that handle permanently in my ceiling.
RhinoDave
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »

Checking the height clearance while stowed is good advice and I should have mentioned the close clearance. With my new Alumilite roof (installed Feb 2010) the tolerance is only about a 1/4" when stowed and I had to make sure the metal push pin for the latch was shortened enough to allow some slack in the button so it would compress freely if it contacted the roof during transit (big bumps, roof flex, etc.). Unlike the previous poster, my bed bow does not hit the latch assembly but does contact the door assembly. I added some padded tape on the bed bow where it makes contact.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: