October 21, 2014, 08:45:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1994 Jayco 1206 Roof Rot Repair project  (Read 16728 times)
fboyles
Handle Cranker

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »

NICE work! Eagerly waiting for your next update.

2011 Toyota Sienna
2002 GMC Envoy 4X4
1999 Viking 2485ST Popup
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 01:11:50 PM »

Set the roof back on to the lifter posts.

Aaah.  looking better already.

I put plastic cups on the lifting posts to reduce damage to the roof while I lined up each bolt.

I noticed some sag between the edge of the roof and where the AC sits on top.

The white foam board inside of the wood frame inside of the roof sandwich has released from the frame board and sank down.  In the picture I have it braced from the bottom to bring it back up to level.  Also re-attached thumb with a band aid. Angry

I lowered the roof with the brace in place to bring the foam board back up to level with the roof sandwich frame board.

I got some long sided angle iron and was able to screw up into the sandwich board's wood frame, and the foam board is supported by the angle iron.  The pressure from the roof with the AC on it may be too much and push out the side board.  I'll have to play with this some more after I get the AC back on.

1994 Jayco 1206
austinado16
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 05:48:35 PM »

Excellent progress!!
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 06:46:19 AM »

Started putting the trim back on.  Trim is backed with new butyl tape.

The original vinyl screw covers were too brittle and broke apart removing them.  A roll of this stuff was about $20 for 100 feet.

Installed the vent cover. It is also lined with butyl tape.

Here is one of the corners.  I still have to install the latches and tighten up the roof support bolts.

A shot of the front side trim back on now.

Got the AC back on.

Tonight I plan on doing the center trim and maybe also getting the interior lights and wiring back in. 

I tried to power on the AC but it would not come on.  I was not receiving any voltage from the power outlet that the AC plugs into.  I'm wondering if there is some kind of relay that prevents it from coming on. I'll worry about it more if it still doesn't work after I get the rest of the wiring back in.

1994 Jayco 1206
austinado16
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 07:14:51 AM »

Looks great.  Thanks for posting more detailed photos.
knobbyhead
Back-er-in-er

The Sea Shore NJ

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »

About the A/C.  my 95 jayco has a switch that is activated when the pop up is closed so no electricity goes to the lights of the PU.  This switch probably works the a/c unit.  If this switch is triggered the a/c won't run.  I would also check to make sure not fuses are triggered on your converter. 

Bob

DW - Trish
1995 Jayco J1006
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Volvo 240

dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »

I was assuming that kill switch was the culprit.  I checked the main fuses and breakers and they were all still closed.  after I get the wiring, and that switch, back in place I'll try it again.

1994 Jayco 1206
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »

Yup, it is an ABS roof on my Natchez, I will keep looking, where did you see it on ebay? I don't see anything this morning.

There's 2 sellers on this page:

Ebay Sellers

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »

put the interior lights and wiring back in.  AC fired right up.

Installed the center seam cover and new vinyl insert.  The old caulk WILL NOT come off.  must be some kind of construction adhesive.  No big deal.  I'll just go over it tomorrow.

Center seam and AC cover are on.

Progress, progress, progress.....

1994 Jayco 1206
austinado16
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »

You sir, are a man on a mission.  Way to power it out!!  And the best thing about it, you can't tell it was ever done! 
seekingcamp
Handle Cranker

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 04:08:55 AM »

Love seeing the progress.  Keep up the good work and you'll be camping again soon! Thanks for sharing with us.

2004 Honda Odyssey
2002 Fleetwood/Coleman Bayside
DW DS DS
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 11:13:14 AM »

About the A/C.  my 95 jayco has a switch that is activated when the pop up is closed so no electricity goes to the lights of the PU.  This switch probably works the a/c unit.  If this switch is triggered the a/c won't run.  I would also check to make sure not fuses are triggered on your converter. 

The wiring consists of two lamps, two additional outlets where you can plug in extra lamps, and the kill switch to keep the lights from working when in the down position.  The lights are hooked up in parallel(if one lamp burns out, the other will still work) and the two additional outlets which appear to be in series.  I tested the kill switch and it does kill the lights when closed.  I almost expected the AC to also not work when this switch was depressed, but it still works fine regardless of the kill switch state.  I guess the circuit must ground at some point which could allow a relay or something to control the power to the AC is plugged into.

Either way, it works and I am one step closer to being a happy camper again.

1994 Jayco 1206
austinado16
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 01:55:19 PM »

The kill switch is just interupting the 12v feed to the lights, and other 12v items to keep them from running when the lid is down.  So the heater won't work, nor should the water pump, if you had those features.
Kampin Kurt
Chocks-a-lot

League City, Texas

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 08:41:49 PM »

Appreciate your postings in a big way, dnoltensmeyer -- I'm sure to be following your lead on my '95 Jayco before too much longer, may be my winter project.

Can't wait!

(liar)

Cheers, Kurt Texas USA

'95 Jayco Eagle 10 ST
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 11:28:28 AM »

The kill switch is just interupting the 12v feed to the lights, and other 12v items to keep them from running when the lid is down.  So the heater won't work, nor should the water pump, if you had those features.

Good to know about the water pump.

Since the switch had long since rotted off of the side wall it would never engage to cut off power.  Instead of fixing the switch(maybe they didn't know about it) they installed a toggle switch to disable the water pump.  The switch was mounted low down by floor.  I'm guessing they had trouble with things hitting the switch so they taped it down with one of those giant band-aids.  Gross.

After I get the roof kill switch re-mounted and tested against the water pump. I'll gladly be removing the toggle switch.

1994 Jayco 1206
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: