I bought my first popup this Summer. A 1994 Jayco 1206.
We took it camping a few times and noticed that we probably had a roof rot problem.
First we noticed that the roof latches were a little loose and would not tighten up.
Also, we had a flaky mess in the shower and in each corner of the camper every time we set it up.
So we realized we had a real problem and knew that a roof rebuild was on the agenda this winter after the camping season was over. We got a reminder on the way home from our last trip when the latches released on the highway and the camper started to pop up going down the road! Lashed it down and got it home.
So today is the first day of the rebuild!
I worked up the nerve to look up under the tent and see what kind of damage I was looking at.
Here is the goodness that I found!
OK, so I have my work cut out for me. Today is time change day so it is a nice extra long Sunday to get started.
First I popped off the AC Cover.
Here is the AC from the inside.
Removed the cover and disconnected the power wires.
Removed the bolts holding the inside parts to the outside parts and removed the inside parts (try to keep up with my technical terms)
I lifted off the AC and placed it aside.
Got all the screws and parts together and wrapped it up till it is time to go back on.
With the AC out, it was time to start clearing this thing out.
Took out all the curtains, valence, and disconnected the overhead lights
Next I took the tent down from the roof.
I took the tent out completely to store inside while I was working on the roof. I'm starting to regret that, not sure how easy it will go back in.
Another shot of the rot.
Wrapped up the camper while I work on the roof.
My awesome wife was good enough to help me move the roof into the garage.
I started to remove all of the trim. The screw covers were really brittle and broke apart as I took them out. I'll have to find replacements for them.
Trim pieces off. Flipped it over and start taking off the bottom lip. Most of the screws pulled right out. Their threads were mostly rusted off.
The front end board was pretty much wasted. It came off easiest with a wire brush.
Took some advice from anther roof project and used a product called goof off to release the glue. Thank you!
The back end board was in a little better shape, enough that I could get some measurements off of it. The front board just disintegrated.
Both Ends off and cleaned up.
Got all the aluminum off the side boards and managed to salvage the back end board. Still in pretty bad shape, but should be good enough to duplicate.
Thankfully the top board did not get any rot.
Tomorrow I'll have to go to the store and buy the wood and new screws.