September 20, 2014, 01:56:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1994 Jayco 1206 Roof Rot Repair project  (Read 16280 times)
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« on: November 06, 2011, 05:04:46 PM »

Hello,

I bought my first popup this Summer.  A 1994 Jayco 1206. 

We took it camping a few times and noticed that we probably had a roof rot problem.

First we noticed that the roof latches were a little loose and would not tighten up.

Also, we had a flaky mess in the shower and in each corner of the camper every time we set it up.

So we realized we had a real problem and knew that a roof rebuild was on the agenda this winter after the camping season was over.  We got a reminder on the way home from our last trip when the latches released on the highway and the camper started to pop up going down the road!  Lashed it down and got it home.

So today is the first day of the rebuild!

I worked up the nerve to look up under the tent and see what kind of damage I was looking at.

Here is the goodness that I found!

OK, so I have my work cut out for me.  Today is time change day so it is a nice extra long Sunday to get started.
First I popped off the AC Cover.

Here is the AC from the inside.

Removed the cover and disconnected the power wires.

Removed the bolts holding the inside parts to the outside parts and removed the inside parts (try to keep up with my technical terms) Wink

I lifted off the AC and placed it aside.

Got all the screws and parts together and wrapped it up till it is time to go back on.

With the AC out, it was time to start clearing this thing out.

Took out all the curtains, valence, and disconnected the overhead lights

Next I took the tent down from the roof.

I took the tent out completely to store inside while I was working on the roof.  I'm starting to regret that, not sure how easy it will go back in.

Another shot of the rot.

Wrapped up the camper while I work on the roof.

My awesome wife was good enough to help me move the roof into the garage.

I started to remove all of the trim.  The screw covers were really brittle and broke apart as I took them out.  I'll have to find replacements for them.

Trim pieces off.  Flipped it over and start taking off the bottom lip.  Most of the screws pulled right out.  Their threads were mostly rusted off.

The front end board was pretty much wasted.  It came off easiest with a wire brush.

Took some advice from anther roof project and used a product called goof off to release the glue.  Thank you!

The back end board was in a little better shape, enough that I could get some measurements off of it.  The front board just disintegrated.

Both Ends off and cleaned up.

Got all the aluminum off the side boards and managed to salvage the back end board.  Still in pretty bad shape, but should be good enough to duplicate.

Thankfully the top board did not get any rot.

Tomorrow I'll have to go to the store and buy the wood and new screws.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 05:07:05 PM by dnoltensmeyer » Logged

1994 Jayco 1206
beautiful dawn
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:24:21 PM »

Awsome job, keep up the good work.
Brian
Back-er-in-er

Redondo Beach, CA

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:16:44 PM »

Great Pics! Good detailed writing, can't wait to see the progress you make.

I would like to ask one favor tho. Please consider not re-installing the roof a/c. I have dealt with a lot of Pups and have seen many that were ruined by the roof a/c. You will have the rest of the winter and spring to search this forum and find many less destructive ways to keep your camper cool.

Many of us use Portable A/C units, many use window units (with braces to support them) either thru a screen or resealable canvas flaps. Either of these solutions will do the job (if properly sized) with the advantages of

1) being able to stay home and save the extra towing weight, when not needed

2) Not having to mount a moisture generator on the roof you just rebuilt for moisture damage.

3) Using the 14"x14" opening you have left for a roof vent or a 12V Fantastic Fan, really great for fresh air Big Smile

Good Luck,
Brian

BEER!California      DH-61
Illinois   DW-66
California DS-87
Texas DS-93
Texas DD-96
Texas DS-98
Texas DD-01
Ozzie the camping Basset
Big Smile    YES it's 5!
 SUV Red Nissan 2008 Nissan Pathfinder
 PopUp Grey 2010 Palomino Banshee B-2
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »

It finally stopped raining and I was able to pick up some plywood.

I traced out what I could of the old boards and was able to duplicate them.

Tonight I will apply waterproofing and start pulling out staples and cleaning off trim pieces.

1994 Jayco 1206
austinado16
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:52:15 AM »

Way to take that roof to the holy city!!  Excellent write up and you have now made the pilgramige that is required of all true PUP owners.

Can't wait for more pictures, and of course, to see the end result.

BTW, I've had excellent results with PL400 construction adheasive, and Dicor RV roof caulk.  I put the side and end panels on with a combination of air staples and 1-1/2" galvanized sheet rock screws via a screw gun.  With the edges glued with the PL400 prior to stapling and screws, it makes for a rock solid assembly.

Now.....would somebody get this man THE t-shirt?
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 07:16:01 PM »

Put on two coats of waterproofing and pulled about a million staples out of the trim and roof sandwich.

1994 Jayco 1206
dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »

Got the boards attached.  Really windy Fall day as you can see.

Part of the side board sheathing got torn out so I started making a patch.

There, that ought to do it.

Started gluing up the front.  Used gorilla glue.

Much easier on my back having it up off the floor.

Spending the time in between glue drying removing more and more butyl and old caulk.

I also realized my roof gasket was due for replacement.  I found a source for it online.  .50 per foot for 40 feet is $20.  Not bad.  Cheapest shipping method is $20.20 for UPS ground. WTH?!?!?  Let me know if anyone else has a good source for this stuff who doesn't use gold nuggets as packing material.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 08:12:36 PM by dnoltensmeyer » Logged

1994 Jayco 1206
seekingcamp
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »

Enjoying watching your progress!

2004 Honda Odyssey
2002 Fleetwood/Coleman Bayside
DW DS DS
takeachance
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »

What is the source you found for the roof gasket?  I just redid the roof on my coleman and need a new gasket and the cheapest I have found is $300

dnoltensmeyer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 07:57:28 PM »

Roof Seal.

$300!?!?.  Maybe I should pay my $20 in shipping and count myself lucky.

http://www.canvasreplacements.com/product_info.php/cPath/30_300/products_id/473?osCsid=f42c02bbe7dd56c1d9e4cfe16be09ad9
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:58:42 PM by dnoltensmeyer » Logged

1994 Jayco 1206
takeachance
Handle Cranker

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 08:11:36 PM »

They make you pay for 100Ft whether you need it or not, I will try your source.  Thanks!

austinado16
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 08:28:39 PM »

Canvas replacements are good people.  Use them as often as you can!  Infact, since you're there and paying shipping, order some other stuff.

I'm guessing that 40' of that stuff is pretty heavy, and with UPS/FedEx running at about $1.25/lb for residential delivery, the $20 is a fair price.

Right now, California is busting both of these company's b@lls by forcing them to get rid of all their diesel fleet trucks.  So new gasoline engined trucks are being driven in from the factory in the midwest.  Guess how much fuel a gas UPS truck uses as compared to the diesel rig, and how long that gas engine is going to last.

Can't even imagine what shipping rates and fuel surcharges are going to climb to.
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 03:55:13 AM »

I just redid the roof on my coleman and need a new gasket and the cheapest I have found is $300

If that is a ABS roof then the seal being discussed here will not work. $300 from a former dealer is about the right price. It's normally about $7-8 a foot. Look at eBay, there are several sellers there that are cheaper.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
takeachance
Handle Cranker

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 07:57:23 AM »

Yup, it is an ABS roof on my Natchez, I will keep looking, where did you see it on ebay? I don't see anything this morning.

austinado16
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 09:45:54 AM »

Is there a reason why that "incorrect" seal can't be glued to the underside of the ABS roof using 3M weatherstrip adheasive, like what's done in automotive restorations?  Or is it the wrong type of material?  Or it's designed to slide into a channel, so it doesn't really glue that well?

I'm asking because I don't know, not because I'm being a smart a$$.

Can the version used on the Coleman roof be similarly sourced in the automotive weatherstrip world?  ie, if it's just a D shape in cross section, you might find something almost identical.  There are probably a ton of online sources, but your local autobody supply places, will have binders full of page after page of different cross sections of weatherstrip, as it's used so much in restoration work.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: