December 22, 2014, 06:05:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 95 Jayco Leaky Roof -- Problem Solved  (Read 2779 times)
Kampin Kurt
Chocks-a-lot

League City, Texas

« on: October 09, 2011, 11:11:49 AM »

Hope y'all can stand another leaky roof post! I have terrible luck with searches, have already spent a couple hours trying to find what I want/need, sigh. Dead

My 1995 Jayco Eagle 10ST has developed a leak in the top, which isn't any great shocker, I guess. But one of the things I need to figure out is how to determine where the water's getting in? It's dripping out the center seam of the interior ceiling, in the rear 'cuz I set the rear lower as AC condensate low point.

I've gently but firmly pounded the roof inside and out with my fist trying to feel whatever I can feel as to what's inside, and to check for any softness that might indicate my worst dread - internal rot - and only hit solid feeling structure so that's good I guess? The exterior center and side seams don't show any obvious problem spots, although it's old and needs to be "freshened up". I suspect the roof-mount A/C is my culprit, but have little idea how to check it, and less how to fix it. But I'm a quick learner! Smile

I would assume this subject has been covered extensively, and that tons of resources are already available, but I just can't find it -- so can anybody point me in the right direction? Thanks a million!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:35:55 PM by Kampin Kurt » Logged

Cheers, Kurt Texas USA

'95 Jayco Eagle 10 ST
Kampin Kurt
Chocks-a-lot

League City, Texas

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:00:58 PM »

Okay, I'm calling BS on this one. I'm supposed to be packing for a 5-week trip starting bright and early tomorrow. It hasn't rained here in Texas since last March. But now all of a sudden it's raining. And my camper's leaking. Oh well, mustn't complain, I'll just dash out and throw a tarp over it for now, and everything will get repaired properly in due time.

So I just went out to see how things are coming along, and guess what? The water's dripping out the center seam inside again. It had stopped utterly when we had a break in the rain, and I jostled it to try to get any remaining water out, and nothing. But now that it's raining again, the leak has resumed at a rate of about one drop every 2-3 seconds.

How can it DO that with a tarp over it Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh?

Fortunately, the only cushion that got soaked was the rear mattress, which I do not use. It can dry out in the garage while I'm gone ..... if I ever get gone. Eight Ball

Cheers, Kurt Texas USA

'95 Jayco Eagle 10 ST
knobbyhead
Back-er-in-er

The Sea Shore NJ

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »

I have a 95 jayco and i just went through the same thing as you.   It only leaked when it rained :) !!!   

All kidding aside, It was leaking inside the PU at the center seam near the front of the popup.  I thought it was the a/c too.  But when I carefully looked at the caulking; I noticed that it was very old and loose at the end of the camper near the center seam.  I have tape over the center seam so I knew it wasn't from the center seam.  I pulled out all the old caulk and replaced it.  It was actually went a lot faster than I thought.  It has rain since and has not leaked since the repair.

I am not sure how the water is getting in with the tarp on it.         

Bob

DW - Trish
1995 Jayco J1006
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Volvo 240

austinado16
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »

You can make quick work of the old caulk in all the of the roof seams, using a dental pick.  NAPA sells a 4 pick kit for $11 and they have little black screwdriver type handles which makes them easy to use.  Re-caulk all of the seams between the roof skin and the roof trim pieces, using Dicor Self-Leveling RV caulk, or if you don't feel like finding that, the clear, or white LEXAL caulk is excellent, and typically found at your local hardware stores.

Redo all of those seams, and also, replace the white vinyl trim strip that inserts into the center trim of the roof.  It's sold in 25' rolls.

Ultimately, you may also have to remove the A/C unit and replace it's gasket, check for a plugged drain, etc.
Kampin Kurt
Chocks-a-lot

League City, Texas

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »

Follow-up: Tightening the 4 bolts that secure the A/C to the roof a turn or two cured the problem. Just had to mash the big thick foam gasket a little more. Dry as a bone inside once again.

Cheers, Kurt Texas USA

'95 Jayco Eagle 10 ST
austinado16
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:54:06 PM »

Nice. You gotta love the simple/free fixes.
Kampin Kurt
Chocks-a-lot

League City, Texas

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »

Almost seems like this ought to be a sticky or something. I mean, it's tantamount to someone asking "did you make sure it's plugged in?", and getting "DOH!" for a reply. Like of those first-things-to-check deals.

But yeah --> Nice. You gotta love the simple/free fixes. <-- You bet! Cool

Cheers, Kurt Texas USA

'95 Jayco Eagle 10 ST
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: