November 27, 2014, 08:51:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: snapped main lift cable  (Read 1994 times)
wahoohick
Handle Cranker

"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

« on: September 09, 2011, 05:50:51 AM »

Hi.I went out to check to see if we had any water damage to our PU from the hurricane and when I started the electric lift, the darn cable broke. I looked underneath to see maybe something might have blew up in there. Didn't see anything. And no, I had released all 4 clasp before hand so that wasn't the cause. I haven't had any issues with the lift system before. Funny, it snaps right after the hurricane came thru. I'm scratching my head on this one. What I'd like to know if this is a doable repair for myself or should a dealer fix it? My PU is a 2006 Rockwood Freedom 2280. Any suggestions or has anyone done this repair before with success?
Thanks

Wahoohick
  PopUp Green  Pickup Grey Toyota
 Virginia

Bobby & Juanita, 1 furry child
2006 Rockwood Freedom 2280
2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax

Life is short...lets go camping
blw2
Back-er-in-er

Jacksonville, FL

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:00:23 AM »

Yikes!
Mine is about that same age..... I wonder if I should start crossing my fingers and holding my breath when I lift the roof!
I know this doesn't answer your question, but could you notice anything about the failure point.... did the cable look like it had been kinked?  Any corrosion?

Brad
DW Julie
DS, '05
DD, '08
DD, '11
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers
wahoohick
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »

Yikes!
Mine is about that same age..... I wonder if I should start crossing my fingers and holding my breath when I lift the roof!
I know this doesn't answer your question, but could you notice anything about the failure point.... did the cable look like it had been kinked?  Any corrosion?
blw, Thanks for responding. I have several friends who own PUs and their cables never have snapped. The hubby kept the cable and pulley lubed real good. He said the cable looked fine, no rust or corrosion. It wasn't kinked either. I just don't know what the heck happened to make it snap. I'm thinking maybe a small piece of limb blew into the pulley? Found a dealer up the road; is working on it now. He'll be able to tell us what was the cause. Maybe something is wrong with the pulley to cause it to snap? There's a lot of questions I have. For $175 a hr. labor, he better well find the problem.  Don't want the situation to happen when we're somewhere setting up, that's for sure!

Wahoohick

Virginia

wahoohick
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »

Hello again friends, The Tech called me this afternoon. He said that with the kind of electric lift that is on our PU,(everyone he has seen and dealt with), is going to cause snapped cables from now on out. Something about it has some kind of splinters in the pulley(there's a tech name for it),causes wear in the cable and it snaps, over time it is an issue with that kind of lift. Basicaly it's worn out.  Sad He said if we continue to use the lift, we would be facing a snapped cable again. So, we're gonna go with the install of the manuel crank instead. The Tech said it should only take about 10 to 12 cranks to get the top up or down. I think we should come out of this only spending around $300 after it all said and done. All I know, I hope it doesn't happen again!
Wahoohick
 Virginia

blw2
Back-er-in-er

Jacksonville, FL

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:59:22 AM »

Sorry to hear that you had to "downgrade"..... I used to think i didn't need an electric lift.  Then more lately, I have been thinking that it sure would be nice to have..... But I have been reading about issues with switches and other failures, and now your problem..... Now I am back to my original preference for keeping it simple.
It's really not that big of a deal to crank it up and down by hand....
Glad you got it resolved.

Brad
DW Julie
DS, '05
DD, '08
DD, '11
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers
BBQguru
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:03:38 PM »

Wahoohick - I have no experience with electric lift systems. NONE. But I have experience with service providers that have little integrity. Sorry man but when I hear from any service provider that my factory installed option is worthless but you can buy something new that we can install, I MAKE THEM SHOW ME BEFORE agreeing to the modification EVERYTIME.

If I were in your shoes I would personally drive down to the shop and ask to be shown, ON THE SPOT, these "pulley splinters" before you pull the trigger on the downgraded crank mechanism. I understand the life expectancy of moving parts can be relatively low, but your PUP is only 5 years old and now they tell you that your electric lift system is useless. For God's sake don't call them and tell them you're coming to see it, just go there and demand to be shown the culprit.

I'd also call Rockwood/Forest River customer service and see if this is a common problem before I visit your shop. AND search this forum for similar issues. If there truly is such a thing, maybe there is a recall that to have fixed correctly would cost you little money or even nothing.

Me - DH
Better half - DW
2 - great little DS's
and Abby the holy terrier

2005 Toyota Sienna Toyota
1987 Coleman Shenandoah

PopUp Gold Van Grey

USA Ohio  Jolly Roger
azpopup17
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »

I have the powerwinch electric lift on mine (2007 SC 3612) with the Goshen lift system that most non Coleman and Jayco campers have.  I ordered the manual winch, handle, and new cable from Goshen for $82 (shipping included).  I do not trust the electric lift since it occasionally cuts out when raising the roof (trips breaker) and according to Goshen it puts additional wear on the cable due to it being wound more tight on the narrower sprocket.  My main cable has some minor fraying so I will be replacing it.

TV-2003 Silverado 1/2T Z71
PU-2007 SC Centennial 3612
Briconz
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »

Wahoohick, if you decide to go manual I'll buy your electric lift PM me.

From another post I read that the electric lift is hard on cables, however I can not see a manual lift cable lasting forever either its the nature of what it does.

'01 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.0l
'88 Blazer 4x4 5.7l
'08 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
'83 Jeep CJ-7
'08 Starcraft 34RT
wahoohick
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:12:45 AM »

Wahoohick, if you decide to go manual I'll buy your electric lift PM me.

From another post I read that the electric lift is hard on cables, however I can not see a manual lift cable lasting forever either its the nature of what it does.

Thanks for all the replies!  Yes, I did ask to see the lift and yes the pulley had those things on it. It wasn't any good, so I know you wouldn't want it! Found out that another dealers' shop worked on it way before we got the PU (we're the third owner), screwed it up, big time, by not installing the cable correctly and basicaly screwed the lift and pulley up. It was a mess. Stupid  A_ _ _ _! After all that, downgrading is not all that bad. :) And yes, electric lifts are harder on cables.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: