August 21, 2014, 05:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I set up the awning for my pop up?  (Read 3766 times)
CamperJK
Kindlin' Collector

« on: August 17, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »

Just bought a used 2002 Jayco popup and have no idea how to set up the awning.  Not sure if I have all the poles.  Can anyone tell me in "Dummy" terms how many poles I should have and what they should look like.  Then "dumb down" even more and explain how to set the awning up?  I would add a picture of the poles I have, but don't know how!
austinado16
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »

Welcome to PUX CamperJK!!

I'm not a Jayco guy but I'll give you a generic set up.

With the roof still low enough to reach the awning, unzip the bag and roll the awning out fully.

There will be "rafter poles" usually, maybe 3 of them, depending on how long the awning is.  They may have a rubber or plastic cap at one end, and that end just butts up agains the side of the roof, usually with the awning bag hanging down between the butt end of the rafter poles and the side of the roof.

So you put that but end against the side wall of the roof, and then the other end of the rafter poles may have a spike that pokes into the metal bar, out at the very end of the awning.  The rafter poles my be spring loaded in the middle so they sort of tension the awning and keep it tight.

Some awnings have support poles that angle back toward the camper, and clip into brackets that are permanently mounted either on the top of the camper box, or somewhere down lower, on the camper box wall. Check to see what you have.  Your support poles will engage these clips, and then go up to that metal bar at the end of the awning. 

There may be a way that the rafter poles poke through the support poles, and then the rafter poles poke into the end bar.  Again, you'll have to see what you've got.

You may also just have support poles that go to the ground, and they may just have a metal ring at the end so that you can spike them into the ground with a tent stake.

Ultimately, you sort of build the awning with the roof only slightly raised, and then you raise the roof and attach the support poles to the camper, or to the ground, and then finally, tie off with a rope if need be.

One word of caution.  At the slightest hint of bad weather, take the awning down and put it away.  Wind of almost any speed will quickly destroy the awning, flip it up over the roof and punch holes through the roof, and make the awning so out of control that you won't be able to put it away.  You'll want to avoid that scenario!
Rocksy
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »

Just want to elaborate on the 'one note of caution', from a very recent "found out the hard way"!  I never could figure out why when I saw camper awnings they were never straight from left to right, one side always seemed to be at a different height.  The thought occured to me that people must just be in a hurry, or their poles just became unadjusted.  Wrong.  A few weeks back we did a little backyard campout, and I made sure my left and right sides were even heights.  The front was dropped lower than the back so I was pretty sure I had 'run off' angle.  Wrong again.  During the night there was a sudden downpour - really hard, and came on really quick with no winds, just heavy rain, straight down.  The awning seemed to be holding up, however I hadn't realized that the sagging vinyl was not allowing the water to flow over the fron rail, and the velcro anchors on the sides weren't letting the water over the sides either.  Consequently all the water pooled up in the middle of the awning, and eventually the front bar snapped right in half from the weight of the water.  The downpour lasted only about 20 minutes total, but the damage was great.  We were able to get two pieces of channel that fit into the front bar to make the repair, but it was a hard lesson to learn.  Luckily the awning itself wasn't ruined, but as I also learned, you can't just buy the awning frame without the awning - which is pretty expensive.  From now on my awning is "crooked" like everyone elses!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:45:27 AM by Rocksy » Logged
Briconz
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:35:16 PM »

Austinado, has good info.
 awning types do vary, for instance; our current PUP has all the poles attached and rolled up in the awning bag,(much easier)
 our old PUP had a similar set up to what Austinado described, we had a pole(3 pieces I think) that went thru a loop at the end of the awning parallel with the camper(this would also have 3 holes that need to face the camper)

Then there were 3 spring loaded poles(2 pcs ea with a pin at one end) that went from the camper to the 3 pc pole in the awning, and 3 poles (2 pcs ea) with eyes on the end which were a twist lock type for height adjustment.
The poles with the pin would go thru the eye and then into holes on the pole parallel with the camper

It's easy to get the parts mixed up and is confusing, esp. if you are missing parts

some hints for this type might be the loops for stakes at the bottom of the upright eye poles
  and some might be aluminum others steel, the eye and pin poles on ours were alum. the awning end poles were steel like 3/4" conduit with a pc of 1/2" connecting them together in the center

As far as posting pics (which would help us a lot) you need to have them uploaded to a photo hosting site like photobucket then copy the "forum link" into your post

hope this helps

'01 Suburban 2500 4x4 6.0l
'88 Blazer 4x4 5.7l
'08 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
'83 Jeep CJ-7
'08 Starcraft 34RT
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: