October 30, 2014, 07:54:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Aliner size question - 15 vs 18 feet  (Read 4866 times)
kdhook
Kindlin' Collector

« on: July 26, 2011, 09:21:34 AM »

Starting to look for a used Aliner but debating between 15 or 18 foot versions. TV is fine for either. What about getting into tighter sites. Been looking at a good deal on an 18 but also thinking that the 15 might be easier to store. Any thoughts?
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »

It may depend how they're figuring the lengths in a listing.  Sometimes they include the hitch, which makes a fifteen-foot box an eighteen-foot trailer.  I don't think Aliner makes an 18-foot box, but I could be mistaken.

Our pop up is twenty feet long in travel mode, including hitch.  We've seen very few sites we wouldn't have been able to use.  We camp mostly in state and national parks, so private parks with smaller sites might be different.  I don't think I'd worry about fitting an eighteen-footer into most sites, or finding a site that it would fit.  And if you're looking at reservations  online in public parks, most give info about the length of sites.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
KristinU
Back-er-in-er

Connecticut

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »

Kdhook is talking hitch to bumper lengths.  Ours was a 15' Scout, and I'm with Rae, there's not a single place that we camped in 3 years with it that an extra 3 feet would have kept us from fitting in.  However, I don't think our garage would have allowed the additional 3'...so if you plan to store at home and use the garage, I'd go measure.

Happy shopping!

Cheers!
Kristin

2012 Gulf Stream Visa 23BHD TravTlr Black
2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax  Pickup Red
My camping party: me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), baby DK9 ('11)
Nights Camped:
2012: 32
2011: 40 (hooray, broke the 21 night streak - almost doubled it!)
2010: 21 (no, not a typo!)
2009: 21
2008: 21
www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
www.alineradventures.blogspot.com
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:03:56 AM »

Starting to look for a used Aliner but debating between 15 or 18 foot versions. TV is fine for either. What about getting into tighter sites. Been looking at a good deal on an 18 but also thinking that the 15 might be easier to store. Any thoughts?

Trailer length insofar as being able to store it inside a garage or other tight space is certainly an important consideration whether you're talking one that's 18' long or 35' long.  However, I find the concern over a mere extra 3' of trailer length and perhaps not being able to get the camper on to a campsite rather humorous since I've recently just been taken to task on another thread over my comment that I've found I can easily locate my 24' travel trailer (26' 9" coupler to bumper) on pretty well any campsite we choose and certainly any site we've ever been on before with our previous popups!  Given that, getting a small Aliner, be it 15' or 18', on to pretty well any campsite would be child's play. Clown Wink  I'd say go for the longer Aliner if it will fit where you want to store it when not in use and forget about whether it'll fit on a campsite.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
jon595
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »

I purchased an Aliner Ranger back in February.  My family and I (wife and 8 month old) have been out for a total of 9 nights so far (3 trips).  Below are the Aliner models they currently sell.

Aliner Alite - 8 ft box (?) only a bed inside
Aliner Scout, Ranger, Classic - 12ft box - total camper length of about 15ft.
Aliner Expedition - 15ft box - total camper length of about 18ft

How many people do you camp with?  That would be my first question to you.  My wife and I love our Ranger so far.  It's a bit tight for us now, but that's because we have a baby and a 'Pack N Play' crib set up all the time on the dinette side. Once our daughter sleeps in the regular bed, the camper will open up much more.

I would not want any more people/pets in the camper at this point.  We're perfectly fine with what we have, as we don't really stay in our camper besides to sleep in and during storms.  So that's another thing to consider.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Chalet/Aliner 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i towing a 2011 Aliner Ranger.
ranger774
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:12:57 AM »

How does that Outback do towing that Aliner Ranger???  Chalet/Aliner
beemerphile1
Parking Heckler

NE Ohio

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:18:21 AM »

...Below are the Aliner models they currently sell.

Aliner Alite - 8 ft box (?) only a bed inside
Aliner Scout, Ranger, Classic - 12ft box - total camper length of about 15ft.
Aliner Expedition - 15ft box - total camper length of about 18ft...

You missed one at least.  The Sport falls between the Alite and Classic.

To the OP, if the TV is capable buy the larger one.  Eighteen feet is still considered very small.  In addition to my Aliner I have a 24' travel trailer which is considered small in the world of RVs.  Some people pull 40' trailers and even bigger.

Tim
32 nights camped in 2014
30 nights camped in 2013
33 nights camped in 2012
36 nights camped in 2011

Momma said; "If you argue with a fool, it makes it hard to tell which one is the fool".

2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L towing 2009 Aliner Sport  Chalet/AlinerCar Blue
1998 Ford E150 towing 2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900 TravTrl Long Blue Van Blue
1996 BMW R1100GS
2005 Trek Madone
1994 Burley tandem
jon595
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:18:35 PM »

You missed one at least.  The Sport falls between the Alite and Classic.

You are correct.  The sport model has a 9.5ft box and total length of about 13ft. 

I'd check the Aliner website: http://www.aliner.com/campers to see exactly what the floorplans are like. 

My Outback is a 2010 2.5i (4 cylinder) with a 6-speed manual gearbox.  I've had no problems towing at all.  We have some big hills around us too.  Going up I need to drop a gear, but it never is that bad.  I have a brake controller (Tekonsha Primus IQ) and electric brakes on the trailer to make going down a bit safer.  I've been getting about 24mpg towing. 

To the OP, if the TV is capable buy the larger one.  Eighteen feet is still considered very small.  In addition to my Aliner I have a 24' travel trailer which is considered small in the world of RVs.  Some people pull 40' trailers and even bigger. 

I'd get something bigger if you think you need it or want it.  I personally enjoy having a small trailer that is easy to tow and move around.  My family is only in there for sleeping and if it's pouring down rain (light stuff we stay under the canopy or awning).  I'd figure out what you want and what you need before jumping in.

(Sorry for the long post...)

Chalet/Aliner 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i towing a 2011 Aliner Ranger.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: