October 30, 2014, 09:29:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1986 Palomino Hardside questions  (Read 5249 times)
Starys
Handle Cranker

« on: July 14, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »

I spotted this one on cl.  I am not familiar at all with hardsides.  This isn't the only one I have seen.  What are the pros and cons to this type of pup?  I googled them but didn't find much info.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/rvs/2493686488.html

I would love to call this guy.  If anyone remembers my earlier thread this is the guy that is the magicjack customer and couldn't hear a thing I was saying.  If he wasn't over an hour away I would just go jump in my van and take a look.
Miller Tyme
Parking Heckler

Past Mid-Con Rally Wagonmaster from Wisconsin

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »

The ad has already been deleted.
Being that it was an '86, means that it had lift arms, instead of the crank system. Lift arms were on the '76 through '90 model years, with the crank up system from '91 to 2004, and 2006-2009. The main problem with the lift arm system is the assist springs get weak from use and age. Palomino may have them in stock, but there are replacements available. I don't have the website, but members here with fold-a-walls(their official name) may chime in.
Think of them as smaller hybrid trailers, with "solid" walls and canvas bunk ends. Other than the walls, they're just like any pop-up, so you have to look at the problem areas(roof, tires, etc) There is a trick to setting up and tearing down, but not much different, if even faster than any other pop-up. Just make sure the walls are locked into position before pulling the bunk ends out, I guess would be the big one.

They were produced in 4 different sizes(8, 10, 12, 14 ft. boxes), with the most common being the 12 and 14 ft. models. As I'm really only familiar with the older models, depending on the year, these were the model designations-
8 ft--CXL, SXL (Colt or Stallion)
10 ft.--SXL (Stallion)
12 Ft.--MXL (Mustang)
14 Ft.--TXL (Thoroughbred)

HTH Cool

Jim and Sandy
 '98 Dutchmen 1006  PopUp Grey Pickup Red '98 Chevrolet Silverado

BEER! Survivor of the 2008 Mid-Con Rally-Lake of the Ozarks, MO.BEER!
BEER! Survivor of the 2009 Mid-Con Rally-BWCA, Ely, MN. BEER!
BEER! Wagonmaster and Survivor of the 2010 Mid-Con Rally-Mark Twain Lake, MO BEER!
BEER! Co-Wagonmaster and Survivor of the 2012 Mid-Con Rally-Lake Wissota SP, WI BEER!
WhichWay?
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:24:50 PM »

I have a 2004 Palomino Mustang hardside 8148xl. As the Miller Tyme mentioned, hard-sides are more insulated (good in PA for spring/fall camping) and typically a little bigger than tent sided models. We are very happy with ours.

Pros:
The hard sides are far more noise resistant, especially with the a/c running.
The hard sides don't flap and rarely (if ever) leak on the sides themselves.
Warmer in the cold weather and cooler in the summer.
The door stays shut.
Hard sides allow you to put pictures on the walls (or, in my case, a shaving mirror above the sink).
The mini-blinds are nice....no zippers to fool with for privacy.
I personally think they are better in the wind 'cause there is less flapping.
Better - if minimally - security. There is no velcro by the door.

Cons:
Two small clips "lock" the sides open on mine. One is a square "S" piece of alum, the other a simple window lock. So far no problems but I do tend to worry that one day one of these will buckle.
Putting the top down one must be extra careful to fold the tent rather than ball it up. A poorly folded tent can result in a broken window, bent wall or torn canvas. We are careful and have never had a problem.
I wouldn't ever try to close on a memory foam bunk topper. The sides lay on the bunks.

Beyond that, I can't think of too many differences between a hard side and a soft side. We pull in, get level, drop the stabs, unbuckle, flip the switch (elec. lift), watch carefully, lock the sides, open the bunks, and hit the pool just as fast as our experienced soft sided friends. Some of our soft sided friends say the hard sides make them feel a bit closed in when they visit. But....they make exactly the same observation when visiting our fixed side & hybrid cousins.

As for Palomino itself-
We did have a leak at the rear of the camper where one of the trim pieces seprated from the aluminum skin. This was not a difficult repair a piece of plywood, some exterior grade glue and more caulk fixed it just fine.
Both of the Elxir-25 (sp?) converters we have had were junk. We went with the WFCO-25 and no more problems.
Our camper tows great behind our Toyota Sequoia with no sway or WDH necessary. The trailer's UVR is ~3,000 GVWR 3,544. We don't pay overmuch attention to where stuff goes just generally put our hoard of gold bars and dutch ovens more towards the front (which is pretty easy considering most of the larger storage areas are in the front).
We eventually removed the sliding plastic box thing from the front storage compartment and tossed it in the trash. Haven't missed it at all.
Our Pal has storage for the "tools" (i.e. the STAB crank, etc.) on the door which doesn't work. We just throw them in the front.
Palomino sometimes gets a bad rap for overall quality but that has not been my experience at all. Just follow the manual's service intervals and maintain things overall and they last for years (except the %$$% Elixer converters!)

Starys
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 04:48:13 AM »

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if I even wanted to consider them while I hunt for a PUP.  Now I know that I will. 
Greywuff
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »

I have a 2000 Palomino hard side, and I am well pleased with it. Have had few issues, other than some rot I found while on a camping trip, but I got her all repaired and shes better than new. THis is our first Pup, and having had a hard side one first, I couldnt  imagins one with canvas sides. I would think they would be colder, hotter, noisier and just plain more headache. I might be wrong, of course, cause Ive never experienced one with canvas sides other than other's units.

Pat
Karen
Speck and Tucker, the dogs

"...I have learned to be content, regardless of the circumstances." Philippians 4:11 NIV
kitticatz
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »

Im looking for owner manual for 1986 hardsided palomino popup any one now where to get one thank
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: