August 27, 2014, 12:59:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rooftop AC on Coleman Columbia  (Read 3517 times)
LowSL2
Kindlin' Collector

« on: June 16, 2011, 09:32:41 PM »

I picked up a Coleman roof top AC for $60 off craigslist yesterday.  Just curious if it will even work on my 88 Coleman Columbia.  I searched and the only thing I could find was there might be a frame kit that may be needed to help support the roof.  And I found the sales brochure for my year and it said to see a Coleman dealer about putting AC on a Pioneer series trailer.

Has anyone tried putting a rooftop AC on their Pioneer series Coleman?  If so, does the roof need some type of frame to support the AC?  Any help or advice would be appreciated.  I just need to see what I'm getting myself into here.

Thanks

Jeff
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 03:03:55 AM »

It's not only the roof but also the trailer's lift and electrical systems that you also need to consider when installing A/C on an older popup like this which in all likelihood was not originally designed to accept A/C.  Certainly you'd want a ceiling brace and to frame out any 14" square vent hole over which the A/C would sit but since there really isn't any practical way to reinforce the lift system I'd be cautious about assuming an older version would be suitable for lifting the additional weight of an A/C unit.  I'd also doubt this trailer is wired with 30 amp main service, with a dedicated 20 amp circuit for powering the A/C unit ... if not, you'd have to first upgrade the trailer's 120 vac electrical system OR count on feeding the A/C entirely separately by running another cable directly from the A/C's ceiling unit out to a campsite power source that's separate from that feeding the camper itself.  FWIW, I've done all this when I installed a Carrier AirV on my own 2000 Santa Fe except in my case the roof or lift systems weren't an issue as there already was a ceiling brace in place, the ABS roof didn't require framing out of the hole, and the lift system by that time was certainly capable of supporting the weight ... with a much older Coleman such as your's I'd be inclined to instead use a stand alone floor unit and avoid all these issues.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
jeff1890
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 04:26:22 AM »

Heres a link that will be helpful
http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=103

Here are some things that I know about the older colemans.
These pups were not A/C ready like todays models, so you need the install kit and brace.
The lift system also needs to be modified. You will find this info in the lift system manual from the link above.
Unless its already upgraded you only have a 20 amp service and you'll need to follow Oz's abvice here.

Jeff, Fran and 5 kiddos   USA Pennsylvania
1984 Coleman Shenandoah   PopUp Gold
That I got for 50 bucks  Big Smile
and I restored in 2008
1998 Ford Ford  Expedition  SUV Black 
New to the fleet
2012 Ford Ford Mustang Convertable
I learn as I go
There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who don't ask the question.
LowSL2
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:11:56 AM »

Thanks for the info.  Electrical won't be an issue.  I'm going to install a dedicated circuit for the A/C with it's own breaker and 30A cord.  After reading the lift systems repair manual I can see that my model year needs some cross bracing to reinforce the roof for the A/C. Not too tough.  I was considering having to disassemble the roof to install this so I'll just add some bracing while I'm in there and tie it into the roof frame.  My cables and whiffletree were replaced already by the previous owner and works wonderfully so I'll just run some tests with the same amount of weight on the roof and see how it lifts.

Thanks for the help
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:07:20 AM »

whiffletree were replaced already by the previous owner

The question here if the upgraded whiffletree components were installed not if new parts were installed. Otherwise you may go to pop up sometime and have the wiffletree fail and your roof come crashing down.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
LowSL2
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »

After talking it over with my friends/brother, we're going to reinforce the roof to support the weight of the A/C.  As for the lift components, I'll have to do some testing and make sure everything can support the weight.  The only issue I have is finding parts for this old A/C unit.  Does anyone have any links to places that would sell parts for an older Coleman 6702B A/C unit?  I haven't been able to find too much info online other than a service manual.
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 02:20:29 AM »

Does anyone have any links to places that would sell parts for an older Coleman 6702B A/C unit?

I'd suggest you contact the manufacturer of Coleman A/C units, RV Comfort, part of the Airxcel group of companies.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: