August 21, 2014, 02:08:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone removed their fold-down sink?  (Read 11947 times)
digidad
Handle Cranker

« on: June 16, 2011, 11:44:53 AM »

Our Palomino P2100 has a sink above the fridge and drawers which folds down during transport into the middle of the floorspace. We have never used the sink and I was considering removing it. The advantage would be more packing/storage space while travelling because it would not fold down into that space. In addition, it would provide more countertop space while camping for luggage/organization.

Has anyone else done this? I would hold onto the sink unit, of course, so that it could be re-installed if we were to sell the trailer in the future.

MIKE

2004 Palomino Pony P-2100
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:54:19 AM »

Seems to me you've answered your own question - remove the sink, make better use of the space made available, but keep the parts so you can re-install them later should you sell the camper.  Essentially, I did the same with the third bunk bed in our travel trailer ... I removed it because we have just two boys but kept the parts so I can re-install the third bed in the event I should one day sell the trailer to someone who does want a camper with three bunk beds.  It's your camper, do what you want with it! Tongue

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
blw2
Back-er-in-er

Jacksonville, FL

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »

You've got me thinking.....
We do use both the sink for teeth brushing mainly, and the stove on occasion.
I sure don't like the flip over galley in the way of the fridge though and perfer to cook outside.
Maybe I could come up with an alternative for teeth brushing........

.....Nah, probably not worth it.

Brad
DW Julie
DS, '05
DD, '08
DD, '11
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:14:15 PM »

You've got me thinking.....
We do use both the sink for teeth brushing mainly, and the stove on occasion.
I sure don't like the flip over galley in the way of the fridge though and perfer to cook outside.
Maybe I could come up with an alternative for teeth brushing........

.....Nah, probably not worth it.

It sure would be for me if it meant going from a popup with no roof down fridge access to one that does! Tongue

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Buckeye Hunter
Back-er-in-er

Union County OH

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 03:10:08 PM »

I removed the sink in our first pup and also the water tank that took up most of under the 1 side of the dinette.  We never camped with water hook ups, and the hand pump was worthless.  Took me less then 30 minutes, and removing maybe a dozen screws.  We enjoyed the extra storage space & wished we had done it sooner.  I also removed the dorm fridge out of it.  Replaced tank, sink, and fridge when we passed that camper on to a friend.  With current pup I haven't removed it, but we still rarely use the sink.  It has an under floor tank, so I can't gain any space with it.  The 90% of the time we don't have water hookup, I may pour a 5 gallon jug of water in the tank when we get to the campground and drain it when we leave. 

Mike '73 Ohio -- DW '78 Texas -- DS '04 Ohio -- DD '08 Ohio
Chloe Puppy '09
97'  Camplite 2218SL   PopUp Grey Pickup Red  03' Ford F-150  
93'  Flagstaff 618    PopUp Bronze SUV Black  97' Jeep Cherokee 
01 Coleman Tent  /\   Pickup Black  95 Nissan Truck

Nights camped 2011 - 7 -- 2010 - 12  -- 2009 - 13 -- 2008 - 19 -- 2007 - 17 -- 2006 - 9
digidad
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »

I went ahead and removed it - six screws and three hose clamps. I think the extra space will come in handy - seems roomier. There was a button which the sink cabinet rests on which cuts the electricity when not depressed. I replaced this with a 20A fuse.

2004 Palomino Pony P-2100
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:47:20 AM »

You need to put the switch back somewhere it will cut the power when the trailer is closed. It's an important safety device that will keep you from having your tenting melted or worse catch fire.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
teejaywhy
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 08:02:14 AM »

Probably the most used "Feature" of our popup (other than the sleeping quarters) is the sink.  A place to wash hands is such a luxury coming from the tent camping arrangement (water jug tipping...).

Of course our popup has the flip over arrangement that does not take floor space or block access to the fridge.

Tom
------------------------
Martini  The Yost Outpost
Arizona Gilbert, AZ
 PopUp Blue '05 Jayco Baja 10Z
darenator
Parking Heckler

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 09:50:19 AM »

I have considered creating a 2 compartment OUTDOOR sink to hang on the side of the camper as we also cook outside.  The sink would hang on the other side of the wall of the shower so easy access to water and drain.  Our camper has a built in grey water tank under the shower so that would be helpful also.  I  would store the sink in the front trunk so we could use even when the camper is folded down.  Removing the indoor sink after I get this done could be a good, but I think we would still leave it in the camper.

PopUp Blue'99 JAYCO EAGLE 12 FSO
 SUV Green'99 GMC SUBURBAN 1500
[usa]FAMILY OF 7[st-ID]
http://www.campingbugs.com
Brandon722
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

I have a 2001 Jayco 8 foot pup.  I took out my fold down sink, saves a ton of space. Then I took the "icebox" and flipped it vertical and have the cover on top - makes for great cold storage for food and drinks with a little ice in there. I then took the drain hole in the cabinet, made it larger and put some of those cheap cup holders in there - this holds drinks so they don't spill (great when you have kids).  I actually took the paneling from the sink section and reframed the front where the icebox opened up and it looks great. 

I took the sink, framed it in it's own box, then added a bracket so it can mount on the outside shelf where the stove goes, added the water hookup, dropped a drainage tube out the bottom into a 5 gallon bucket - and BAM, we have a working sink outside.  The problem with a sink inside is that the water pressure was over powering and everything got sprayed with water when anyone turned it on. And hardly anyone used it anyways.  We use wet wipes to clean hands inside.

I did a ton of other smaller mods in the sink area too - added an upright paper towel roll, created a storage space under the icebox with a support for the icebox, etc.  I enjoyed mod-ing it out.
blw2
Back-er-in-er

Jacksonville, FL

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 06:47:37 AM »

Brandon722
any pictures?

Brad
DW Julie
DS, '05
DD, '08
DD, '11
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers
Brandon722
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 10:03:53 AM »

I did a post on my blog a long long time ago - and just found it.  I have made a couple more mods since then, but there are pics of the sink.

http://brandon722.blogspot.com/2009/01/camper-mods-part-1.html

Original - before mod

Final - post mod
Erik2002winnie
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:16:50 PM »

i removed the galley, and both curb side cabs.

replacted with some totes.

first trip this weekand.

im ecstatic about it.

More room, easier setup and beak down, and i can put toted that are for setup and not needed during the trip in the tv. 

shweflen
Handle Cranker

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 03:55:54 PM »

I had a Coleman Rio Grande and removed the fold down sink and stove along with the cabinet underneath them.  I replaced them with a cabinet I made which held 4 laundry baskets full of clothes.  I had a plywood "kitchen" in the back of our tow vehicle that held all of the cooking utensils and a lot of dry goods with a fold down work surface.  We cooked out of the back of the tow vehicle and never had food in the camper.  Good for bear country.
Statik
Handle Cranker

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2011, 04:11:05 AM »

For the size of the sink, I decided to leave it in our 1980 Starcraft Venture 2008SC, but I never wanted to mess with stored water. So, I removed the storage tank from under the seat and capped that particular hose off. Now we can still use the sink with a water hookup, and gain the storage space. My next project is to remove the stove and replace the countertop as we will NEVER cook inside our pup. Eventually I'd like to route propane to a dual hookup outside the pup with a dual stove setup but that is an advanced change that will probably have to wait til I have spare time. :)

Statik
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: