August 01, 2014, 10:32:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof not raising level?  (Read 2561 times)
jeremy_c
Kindlin' Collector

« on: June 07, 2011, 06:57:22 AM »

Last week we purchased our first camper, a 1995 Starcraft Starter 8a. It looked great at the RV store, we brought it home set it up w/no problems, it looked great. We slept in it at home the first night then went camping for 2 nights at the local state park, it looked great there also. We then brought it home and set it up to clean it up, organize things, plan where things were going to go long term, etc... This is when we noticed the problem. It seems the driver side (crank is on the passenger side if that matters) is lower than the passenger side when we crank it up. The canvas is slack but on the passenger side taunt.

It is enough that I would have though I would have seen it before but I can't say for certain that it wasn't this way before, maybe we had blury vision because we really liked the camper :-/... It's our first camper and nothing else is wrong, everything worked great and it looks great also. I'm not even sure where to start on this problem. Any debugging (I'm a computer programmer by day Cheesy) info would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

Jeremy Cowgar
NE Ohio

2006 Chrysler Town and Country TV
1995 Starcraft Starter 8A Popup Camper
bols2Dawall
Back-er-in-er

Reporting from my Campin HQ in S. Ontario Canada

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »

Hello and welcome to the site .
1st thing is to make sure the PUP is sitting somewhat level.
2nd , spray some silicone lube on your lift posts once PUP is up . Just put a piece of cardboard behind the post so as not to spray your canvas .

You might have to adjust your lift cables , if so , do a search of the forums (using search bar above) for instructions . 

2005 Fleetwood Colonial (10ft.)
 hitched to a
2009 Chev TrailBlazer
Captained by me , Mal
& accompanied by my lovely 1st mate
 Bernadette
austinado16
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:08:59 PM »

Welcome and GO TEAM STARCRAFT!!

Not uncommon for the road side of the Starcrafts to be low.

First, only raise the roof when the camper is level.  If you don't yet own a BAL Light Trailer Leveler, make that your next purchase.  They run about $75-$80, shipped, via sellers on ebay, or at http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=18058&SID=15&DID=45&CID=167

Second, never operate the roof with the 4 stabilizers down against the ground.

If you're following these 2 rules, and the roof is still uneven, measure the roof height at all 4 corners so you know what the difference is.   If indeed it's crooked, crawl under the rear of the camper, and take a look at the winch drum and how the cables are winding around it.  Many times, the cables will get stacked up on themselves, instead of wrapping next to themselves.  If they're stacked up, lower the roof, and then have someone raise the roof while you guide the cables and get them lined up again.  See how the roof measures.  If this fixes the problem, great.

If the problem still exists, you can adjust the cables for the road side, by threading the eye bolt at each of the 2 turn buckles, further into the turn buckle.  This shortens the overall cable length, thereby raising the roof more.  It only takes a small adjustment to make quite an effect on the roof height.

To adjust the cables, you'll lower the roof until the turn buckles move to a position where you can get to them.  Then prop some long 2x4s under the edges of the roof, front and rear, and then wind the crank a further turn or so in the "lowering" direction to put slack into the cables.  Now crawl under, loosen the lock nuts on each eyebolt for the road side cables, and then spin the eyebolts into the turn buckles.

Have a helper spot your 2x4s so they don't fall on something, and raise the roof back up fully.  Lower it, raise it, and check the measurements.  Adjust further as needed, otherwise, if it looks good, crawl under and tighten down the locknuts and you're done.
jeremy_c
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 05:58:59 AM »

Thanks, I'll play with it after work and see what I can figure out. I'll report back my findings.

Jeremy Cowgar
NE Ohio

2006 Chrysler Town and Country TV
1995 Starcraft Starter 8A Popup Camper
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: