October 21, 2014, 05:29:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New here and need help! Honda odyssey and new pop up...  (Read 8766 times)
NocheFamily
Wheel Chocker

« on: June 01, 2011, 07:29:05 PM »

My husband and I are newbies to all of this.  I just stumbled upon this site, please bare with me.

We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L.  Our tow hitch gets installed Friday with wire harness.  We got the hitch for our family for biking, but got wired knowing we wanted a trailer.  We have never owned a trailer before.

I have found several tent trailers on craigslist the past week.  Coleman Utah, Coleman Westlake.....to name a couple models.

My questions would be what would we need to do or get in order to haul a tent trailer???  Is it just the wiring???  What weight of trailer should we tow???  This is what some of m '05 Honda Odyssey details are:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating     5,952 lbs. GVWR
Front Gross Axle Weight Rating   2,833 lbs. front GAWR
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating   3,197 lbs. rear GAWR
Max Trailer Weight     3,500 lbs. towing capacity
Maximum GCWR   8,210 lbs. GCWR

Thank you kindly.  Any info would be awesome!!!

Myself - '76
DH - '74
DD - '97
DD - '05
DD - '06

2005 Honda Odyssey
1998 Colemam Santa Fe
austinado16
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »

Welcome to PUX!

So it looks like you can tow a maximum of 3,500lbs, but the weight of Honda, people, gear, bikes, food, camper, etc. can't be more than 8210lbs.  So you need to do the math on what you guys and the Honda fully loaded with gear will weigh and what's left over from the 8200 is what you can tow.

You'll want to be wired for electric brakes, and have a Tekonsha P2 or P3 brake controller installed, and you'll want the 7 pin round bargman connector on the back of the Honda to also be wired for 12v with the engine running, at pin location #4.  This will allow you to charge the camper battery while towing, and if need be, power it's fridge on 12 volts.

In addition to electric brake wiring/controller, you'll want a camper with electric brakes already installed.  The camper needs to stop it's own weight.

Next, you'll want to think about things like an auxilary transmission oil cooler, depending on what size camper you buy, where you tow (moutains or flat, short or long distance) and outside air temps.  Automatic transmissions get really hot when towing, and heat damages them.

Other things you may need are a weight distribution hitch, and maybe a sway controller, and maybe even air bags for the rear suspension if the camper and gear want to make the back end of the Honda sag.

Then with the camper you need to think in terms of leveling it (many of us love the BAL Light Trailer Leveler.....check ebay), chocking the wheels prior to unhitching, and then all the things you'll stock the camper with in order to make it, it's own self-contained home.
firescout14
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 01:15:44 AM »

We tow our Starcraft with an '05 Sienna.  The gross trailer weight for our 2406 is just over 2900 lbs.  That is the most I felt comfortable going to, without using a weight-distributing hitch.  I installed Air Lift 1000 air bags in the rear coils to minimize rear end sag.  The hitch assembly on the van sits very low to the ground unloaded, and I wanted to at least maintain the unloaded height above the road surface when the vehicle is loaded.  Electric trailer brakes are a must, in my book, for any trailer over 1500 lbs on a minivan. Most of the late-model minivans come prepped for towing, in the form of an appropriate ATF cooler.  Getting that 30 amp 12VDC power circuit on the trailer socket is important for any future camping trailer use.

2007 Starcraft 2406 PUP
2005 Toyota Sienna LE
1975 International Harvester Scout II
myethreesuns
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:45:43 AM »

We have the same exact vehicle, and tow a 1999 Coleman Santee which is 1700 empty and 2500 GVW.
You will need to add a trans cooler, and although the manual states to add a power steering cooler you might be able to skip that. (That was the recommendation I rec'd from many on this board and also 3 rv shops)
We have a Tekonsha Primus for a brake controller, and it works well.
I can tell you that the suspension is a bit light on the end of the odyssey, so if you are towing a small pup...maybe under 1800 total you can probably get by without a WDS. But, if you get a pup with a storage box on the front, then add in a battery and propane tank, you are going to be sagging a bit in the rear, and although some foks have recommended air bags I think you should look at a WDS, as the air bags are not going to help bring the front end of the vehicle back down. (I am picking up a WDS this month)

As an example on the use of the WDS....we normally go to places with full hookups, so we don't need to bring a battery and propane tank...on those trips where we packed light it went fine.
For our last trip last year, I borrowed my FIL's battery, took a full tank and also some extra stuff as we had some friends coming along...weight of the trailer was probably around 2100-2200 vs 1800 that we normally have.
Roads were a little wet from rain that day, and when I was pulling off the the highway an onto a secondary road after a stop, I noticed some wheel slippage from the front end...which is due by having too much weight on the rear of the vehicle, and the WDS will help apply some of the weight back to the front wheels where they below. I guess my thinking is that you can probably get by without a WDS for the short run if you get a very small pup, but I think in the end you will find that you will want to have one installed. (First time pup owner since last year, and although the Honda does a very good job towing the pup I would feel much more comfortable with a WDS)  Good luck.

PS. If you are looking at the Coleman lines, stay away from those that have an ABS roof. If you do a search here you will find lots of info on the topic.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:02:31 AM by myethreesuns » Logged
thebrakeman
Parking Heckler

Canton, Michigan

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 06:24:15 AM »

Make sure your van has the factory tow package, unless you are sure that all Honda vans are equipped for 3500 lbs.  Most standard vans (without the factory tow package) are only rated for 2000 lbs.  If you don't have the tow package, at a minimum, you will want to have an aux. trans cooler installed.  With that, you can have reasonable confidence using that 3500 lbs tow rating and the 8210 GCVWR.

Once that is confirmed, you will want:
Electric trailer brakes - This requires the camper to have the brakes and wiring.  Also requires a brake controller installed in the van (Tekonsha Prodigy, P2, or P3 please).  This requires more wiring than just the standard lighting.
Weight Distributing Hitch (WDH) - For the class of camper you are looking at, you are going to have significant tongue weight (TW).  Your manual probably requires WDH if the trailer is over 2000 lbs when loaded (NOT dry!).

Please note that in order to use a WDH, the trailer must allow it.  It's good that you are looking at Coleman/Fleetwood models.  They are the only brand that allows using WDH on every single model.  Other brands allow WDH, but only on campers that are too heavy for your 8210 GCVWR to handle.

Using a WDH will also require a 2" Class 3 receiver.  If the hitch you are having installed on Friday is only a class 2, you need to call them now, and have it upgraded to 2" class 3.  Otherwise, you will be limited to the very smallest of campers.

As far as the weight you can handle, I highly encourage you to stick to Coleman/Fleetwood brand, so that you can protect your van's stability with a WDH.  But I also urge you to avoid any Coleman/Fleetwood with a slideout dinette (Utah, Bayside) as they will be too heavy for your 8210 GCVWR.  With our previous 2 Chrysler minivans (both with 8300 lbs GCVWR), we limited ourselves to 3000 lbs loaded weight, which could not be done with any Coleman/Fleetwood slideout model.

8210-3000 = 5210 (allowance for loaded van)
5210-4400 (approx empty van) = 610 lbs (allowance for people and light cargo in the van)

610 is reasonable, since much of the heavy stuff will already be in the loaded van.  But you can see that 3500 lbs of trailer is out of the question.  That would leave you with only 110 lbs capacity in the van.  That might be enough for you in the van, but hubby and kids would have to stay home. Sad

If you need a 12ft box Coleman/Fleetwood, look for a Mesa or Valor.  The Westlake might be OK for you, but they can get heavy, too.  You want something that is no more than about 2400 lbs dry, as the typical loaded weight is 600-800 lbs over dry weight.  Otherwise, find a nice 10-ft box model, like the Santa Fe.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 06:30:19 AM by thebrakeman » Logged

thebrakeman ('70)
DW ('71), 3 DD's ('99, '01, '05)
 SUV White 2006 Mercury Mountaineer AWD Premier (V8 4.6L 3-valve)
Factory Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer 10k WDH
2004 Forest River Surveyor SV261T (Ultralite Hybrid)
27-ft, Front Queen Tipout, Rear Quad Bunks
1997/2000 Chrysler minivans & 2000 Coleman Mesa (popup)
austinado16
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »

If you're not too set on Coleman/Fleetwood, you may find that the big Starcrafts are lighter.
NocheFamily
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 04:04:21 PM »

Thank you everyone for the replies :)

Yes, those were my specific year and models specifics that I posted originally.  It gave a trailer weight of 3,500

Hubby is meeting someone tomorrow to view a 1997 Coleman Santa Fe and I met with a dealer today to view a Fleetwood Cobalt.  The Cobalt was very tiny, almost too tiny for our needs.  Hopefully the Santa Fe works out for us tomorrow. 

We decided against the Westlake and the Utah, as I have been giving myself a headache reading this forum and other reviews online.  It is obviously too heavy for our Odyssey, so it is not worth the pain of killing our primary family vehicle.  My father advised us against those both as well.  He is an avid camper/trailer man, but unfortunately he lives in Canada and can't come to view with us what we are getting. 

If we got the Santa Fe, what do you think we will need to add to our van?  The transmission cooler?  The WDH?  The WDH is seperate from the hitch we already have?  Sorry, but again....we are learning...lol

I spoke with a gentleman today at Vacationland RV and he kind of gave me an idea of some other little things....levels, blocks, etc.

Myself - '76
DH - '74
DD - '97
DD - '05
DD - '06

2005 Honda Odyssey
1998 Colemam Santa Fe
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:37 PM »

I would not poo-poo the P/S cooler. If the Manuf recommends it, there is a reason (they built the thing so they should know).

When you are towing a trailer, you will inevitably get into situations where you have to do a lot of slow maneuvering. If your P/S pump is not up to the task, you could find yourself in a tough (expensive) situation. A small trans cooler would make a great P/S cooler. You could install one for ~$40 (plus labor, if you have to have it done.)

Here's a generic:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Derale-Performance-Power-Steering-Cooler-13210-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0d262e4QQitemZ390318940900QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Here's a factory Honda Oddysy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Honda-Odyssey-Power-Steering-Fluid-Cooler-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aOdysseyQQhashZitem2c5cebcf83QQitemZ190537518979QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
NocheFamily
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 05:33:10 PM »

I would not poo-poo the P/S cooler. If the Manuf recommends it, there is a reason (they built the thing so they should know).

When you are towing a trailer, you will inevitably get into situations where you have to do a lot of slow maneuvering. If your P/S pump is not up to the task, you could find yourself in a tough (expensive) situation. A small trans cooler would make a great P/S cooler. You could install one for ~$40 (plus labor, if you have to have it done.)

Here's a generic:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Derale-Performance-Power-Steering-Cooler-13210-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0d262e4QQitemZ390318940900QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Honda-Odyssey-Power-Steering-Fluid-Cooler-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aOdysseyQQhashZitem2c5cebcf83QQitemZ190537518979QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

sorry for my own ignorance (and my husbands's...lol) but is the power steering cooler the same as the transmission cooler that was suggested or are those both seperate things?  My head is spinning from all the research I have been doing the past week but still trying to piece things together while still trying to purchase our first trailer.  Honestly, I think I am more interested in this stuff than hubby...lol 

Myself - '76
DH - '74
DD - '97
DD - '05
DD - '06

2005 Honda Odyssey
1998 Colemam Santa Fe
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 06:48:43 PM »

Here's a generic:

sorry for my own ignorance (and my husbands's...lol) but is the power steering cooler the same as the transmission cooler that was suggested or are those both seperate things?  My head is spinning from all the research I have been doing the past week but still trying to piece things together while still trying to purchase our first trailer.  Honestly, I think I am more interested in this stuff than hubby...lol 
They look basically the same and serve the same function for 2 different parts of the vehicle. Only the trans cooler is about 6x the size of the P/S cooler and it will mount in a different place. You should install both if the manuf calls for it.

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

thebrakeman
Parking Heckler

Canton, Michigan

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 05:29:26 AM »

The Santa Fe would be a great match to your vehicle.
You still want an auxiliary trans cooler if it doesn't arleady have it.  Should look like a small radiator in front of the main radiator and/or A/C condensor.
A power steering cooler would be a separate unit.  Not sure about the need for that, personally.

For the WDH, just be sure that the hitch you are having installed is a Class 3 with 2" square opening.  Then you can take a wait and see on the add-on WDH kit.  Did you read your van's owner's manual?  Do they have a requirement for a WDH?  Chrysler (and many other) vans require it if over 2000 lbs.

thebrakeman ('70)
DW ('71), 3 DD's ('99, '01, '05)
 SUV White 2006 Mercury Mountaineer AWD Premier (V8 4.6L 3-valve)
Factory Tow Package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer 10k WDH
2004 Forest River Surveyor SV261T (Ultralite Hybrid)
27-ft, Front Queen Tipout, Rear Quad Bunks
1997/2000 Chrysler minivans & 2000 Coleman Mesa (popup)
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »

There is very little stress on a P/S pump when operating a vehicle in normal conditions and the tires are moving. However, when some people parallel park (for instance), the wheels are turned hard from side-to-side while the vehicle is not in motion or moving very slowly. This places a LOT of stress on the P/S pump. When we are towing, we usually turn corners more slowly. We often back the trailer into campsites. Sometimes, this can take considerable maneuvering (especially for a beginner). A lot of that maneuvering may involve turning the wheels hard-over from one side to the other while the vehicle is not moving. This builds up a lot of heat in the P/S pump as it has to work much harder to turn the wheels on the ground. Some P/S pumps are simply not designed to throw off that much heat and that is why some manufacturers suggest a P/S cooler on their vehicles when towing.

I have a 1/2-ton truck and it comes standard with a P/S cooler (as do many SUVs). It is more common for trucks to do low speed maneuvering.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:27:45 AM by wavery » Logged

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

NocheFamily
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »

Okay, so I just got off the phone with Honda and got a quote for the transmission cooler and power steering cooler

$308 tranny cooler
$166 p/s cooler

$68 an hour

He said I 'should' get both but at a minimum get the tranny cooler.

Myself - '76
DH - '74
DD - '97
DD - '05
DD - '06

2005 Honda Odyssey
1998 Colemam Santa Fe
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »

Okay, so I just got off the phone with Honda and got a quote for the transmission cooler and power steering cooler

$308 tranny cooler
$166 p/s cooler

$68 an hour

He said I 'should' get both but at a minimum get the tranny cooler.
If your Honda is still in warranty, I'd say, "Let the dealer do it". If it's out of warranty, I would buy the trans cooler and P/S cooler on the net for under $100 (for both) and take them to an independent garage or transmission shop to have them installed. Probably $100-$150 labor (for both).

Here is a good trans-cooler for your vehicle:
http://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCooler-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000CIGE9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307135765&sr=8-1

Here is a better one:
http://www.amazon.com/70266-SuperCooler-Automatic-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B000CIKCQ2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1307135765&sr=8-8

Here's a decent P/S cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/Derale-13200-Power-Steering-Cooler/dp/B0006HNM66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307136044&sr=8-1

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

NocheFamily
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »

Phew, what a day!!!

So, we made the purchase :D  We got the 1998 Coleman Santa Fe!!!  I got my hitch and wiring done today and have an appointment scheduled for Wednesday to get the transmission cooler done.  VERY exciting night here :)  This is our very first 'family toy' so the children are just as excited as us. 

We bought an extended 5 year warranty with Honda when we bought our Odyssey brand new in 2005.  Uhaul did our hitch today and they are the ones that will do the transmission cooler. 

Still so many things we need to do still.  Next is the brake controller.  Is this something I definitely need?  The trailer does have electric brakes.

Myself - '76
DH - '74
DD - '97
DD - '05
DD - '06

2005 Honda Odyssey
1998 Colemam Santa Fe
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: