April 21, 2014, 04:08:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Snapped Main Cable  (Read 761 times)
Soluopon
Kindlin' Collector

« on: May 22, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »

So there were two issues going on yesterday...
1) I was lowering my roof and the from passenger side got stuck with about 3 inched to go. I spraying the pulleys with lubricant, not solvent, and cranked the roof pack up. When I lowered the roof again same thing happened, the roof would get stuck....I do not know why. But that leads the the second problem.

2) I was lowering my roof and SNAP goes the main wire from the A-Frame to the center of the camper. As far as I can tell the main cable is the only thing that went. The four lines going to the lifts are not busted. The lifting mechanism are pulley based.

So my questions to all you pop up venterans are 1) Why do you think the roof would shut when it did just fine 2 days previously and 2) what kind of cost am I looking at for that cable replacement?

Thanks,

Equipment:
2005 Ford F150 STX
1976 Venture Chateau
austinado16
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:15:16 AM »

Take a piece of that main cable to your local hardward store and buy enough new cable to do the job.  You'll need to come up with a way to attach the cable to that main yoke that pulls all 4 lift cables, as well as to the winch drum on the A-frame.  Not a big deal, just look at how it was originally done and your hardware store will have crushable do-dads, to get that done.

Once you have the main cable repaired, see how the roof operates.  If there's still a problem, take a look at the cables and pulleys that are feeding the problem area.  If you see no issue there, take a look at the telescoping roof supports and see if they are hanging up.  Some systems have seperate short lengths of cable inside these supports, and the cables, the pulleys or the brackets that hold same, can get damaged.....resulting in your problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: