July 29, 2014, 06:45:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tent trailer tires?  (Read 6917 times)
atforest
Handle Cranker

« on: May 20, 2011, 07:56:22 AM »

Roughly how much would new tires for a 1994 Flagstaff cost? How often do they need to be replaced? Do you replace based on miles or time?
NM Novice
Handle Cranker

Lovington, NM

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »

I haven't replaced tires yet, but I understand they are between $50 and $100 each.  They should be evaluated by general condition, residual tread, etc.  Miles may not be as important as whether they have been off-road or mostly driven on pavement.  A reputible dealer can check them our for you to see if you have sidewall damage, adequate tread, and the like.

1982 Rockwood PUP
Isuzu i-290 Tow Vehicle
Empty Nesters with two dogs!
mountainrev
Back-er-in-er

Eagle, CO

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 08:20:19 AM »

Since most campers don't get towed all that many miles each year, the age of the tire is usually much more important than the wear.  Dry rot is a greater threat than tread wear.  You can determine the date of manufacture by looking for the ID stamp on the sidewall.  The last two numbers are the year.  If they look good and have been replaced within the last five or six years, you're probably good to go.  But if you have the original tires on your '94, replace them ASAP, regardless of how much wear they have.

As far as price, it depends on what size.  I bought new 13" Duro 6 ply tires a couple of years ago for about $60 each (plus mounting).

"I lift up my eyes to the hills."
'03 Viking 2270 Legend
'04 Dodge Durango
BPRescue
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »

Pretty much everything Mountain dude said; you canít go wrong with his advice.  Miles wonít be the issue, it will be age.  Tires stored inside will last longer than outside, with less time if you donít keep them properly inflated/protected.  But using common sense on how old they are, coupled with dry rot will let you know; most people can see an aged tire/cracks and say no chance... 

I am a safety guy, so error on the side of caution.  For instance, mine are 4 years old, and look perfect to me, but I still had an ďexpertĒ confirm I am Ok.  They have been on my mind and I will probably replace them in a couple years regardless...  I know some may say this is a waste of money, or too much, but I have seen far too many accidents; some very bad from poorly maintained tires.  Knock on wood, I have never had a blowout on any vehicle; so it works for me.  The way I look at it is, for $30 a year installed, is it really worth the risk?

99 Jayco 10SG
Mod: Autoloading Boat Rack
Mod: 4" Lift and larger tires
Alumacraft T12V Boat
2007 Larson Sei180 Ski&Fish, V6 Volvo Penta
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »

Roughly how much would new tires for a 1994 Flagstaff cost? How often do they need to be replaced? Do you replace based on miles or time?

A tire size would help, but my guess is tires should run about $55-65 if they're not radials. I bought 4 for the Bayside last year, one with a rim (I want 2 spares for long trips) for @$220.

5-6 years is the max for tires IMHO. Especially if stored uncovered outdoors and/or sitting for long periods of time. Very few PUP owners replace based on mileage. You just don't put on 30-40K miles in 5-6 years.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
dabubba
Handle Cranker

Potash Capital of the World, Saskatchewan

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »

Replaced mine at 2 years, lots of mileage (about 3-4000 miles I'd say).  Beginning to have sidewall cracks and one developed a bulge on the side due to belts snapping, according to tire shop.  Put the spare(s) on it and got new tires mounted.  The rubber itself was like $40 or $55 for the whole tire and rim.  12" rims.

Dodge   2006 Dodge Grand Caravan, Stow n Go, Factory Transmission Cooler, Auxilliary Cooler, 7-Way wiring, Class III hitch. [Brake controller to be added in 2010]

2009 Starcraft 2106 Trailer [Battery, LEDs?,  To be added in 2010]

Last known fuel milage 18 mpg average on 10 hour highway trip at 60-65 mph.

Guided by CURTIS GPS running Windows CE
 PopUp Gold Van Yellow           
Saskatchewan
austinado16
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »

Look on the sidewall for the tire size, call your local tire shop and get an exact price.  Remember to have them balanced, replace the spare at the same time, and always have metal valve stems installed if the tires are supposed to be inflated to 80psi.  Check the tire store's work, because they typically don't inflate trailer tires to the max pressure, and you'll roll out of there on marshmallows set at 35psi if you're lucky.  Low inflation causes trailer tires to heat up.  Heat causes the belts to slip and/or seperate, and then you're on the side of the road in triple digit heat, changing a grenaded tire, and wondering how you'll fix all the damage done to the inner fender.
atforest
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »

Does anyone on this forum own a 1994 Flagstaff that could tell me the tire size? I don't have access to the tent trailer and I can't seem to find specs or a manual online. Thanks!
sailingfree
Wheel Chocker

N Ga

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:59 PM »

It would depend on what pup you have. Flagstaff and Rockwood 10ft box has 12" wheels and 12ft box has 13" wheels.

09 Rockwood 2280
08 Kia Sorento
atforest
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:36:12 PM »

They are 5.30 x 12 and the price at Discount here in Phoenix is $43 per tire. Thanks for all the replies.
austinado16
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »

If you put your year/make/model of camper, and tow vehicle, into your signature, you'll get faster and more accurate responses to questions that are model specific like this one was.

Since you tow where it's hot, it might be worth the extra money to purchase the Load Range D versions of that tire.  It's stronger and that may help it withstand the 145-150*F+ tread tempuratures it'll see when towing in triple digit heat.  Keep 'em aired to the 80psi that's stamped on the sidewall, so they are hard and don't flex as they strike the road.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: