April 23, 2014, 02:13:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: waterproofing our pop up  (Read 8973 times)
geminigirl_1313
Kindlin' Collector

« on: May 17, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »

We just purchased a 2001 Viking Epic pop up, the previous owner never had any leaks and the camper has been closed up and stored for the last year.  We just set it up and cleaned it and of course once we finished it started raining, the outside is vinyl and the inside is a thin canvas cotton type material, the inside material is getting wet, it looks to mainly be leaking around the seams but the walls are also pretty wet, not saturated though.  This is our first camper can anyone tell me how to waterproof it...do these type of campers normally draw moisture like a tent would?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated...I'm ready to camp!!  Thanks!!
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »

My Bayside uses the Sunbrella fabric for tenting and Coleman recommended 303 Fabric Guard which members seem to endorse as well. If your tenting is made from traditional canvas, any canvas waterproofing should do well.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
retiredtraveler
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:42 AM »

These newer pups all have waterproof materials already of different, proprietary. types. Real canvas is not used. We call the fabrics on popups "canvas", but that is an archaic, but generally used term, and not actually true any longer.
   Your manual will probably tell you not to use waterproofing. Remember that any use of chemicals to clean your fabric can permanently damage the fabric (especially bleach) and you'll be out-of-luck on ability to repel water.
    You can get a seam sealer. A simple wax stick should suffice.

Hopefully the prior owners didn't clean the canvas with any damaging chemicals.

"Americans can always be counted on to do the right thing...after they have exhausted all other possibilities."   --  Winston Churchill

North 'burbs of Chitown
RV: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slideout,shower, surge brakes
TV: :  2005 Nissan Xterra --- 6 speed manual trans
55 watt solar panel
Tent camper for 30 years
5000+ miles of hiking primarily in NP's, lots of biking
penningtonsauto
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:04:53 PM »

Most likely leaking from a small pin hole and seeping. Also the stitching as well will allow it to seep, causing the walls to feel wet. Cleaning the inside of the canvas walls will provide two functions. 1. clean the walls! 2. allow you to find any places that may seep. After walls are clean and any pin holes patched, you can water proof. First water proofing is not brain surgery. On the inside, for extra protection, you can use camp dry, or about any canvas water proofing material. The seams can be sealed using seam sealer or wax. Clean the outside, I use straight hydrogen peroxide. Outside can be water proof enhanced using silicone, paste wax, water seal, or many other products. Make sure you let any water proofer dry for at least 48 hours. I personally like car wax on the outside vinyl. The wax tends to build up slightly in the stitching area and gives you a wax seal. It also makes your canvas look new and shinny. Silicone leaves things kind of oily. Pins holes can be fixed on the inside with Tear Aid A, Iron on patches, ect.. Outside can be patched with Tear Aid B, Vinyl Awning Repair Tape, ect... Stay away from duct tape unless and absolute emergency! It makes a total mess.
Boomstk
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:00:32 AM »

Last year I had used Starbrite waterproofing and had fantastic results.  There was one small section where I missed because I had run out.  Well it was very obvious when it rained the spot I missed.    It wasn't leaking but it was semi saturated. 

One question I would like to ask is...  How long does a product such as this last?   Will I have to do this again this year?

1993 Starcraft Starstream 2412
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: