December 20, 2014, 02:55:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Activity ideas needed for big group  (Read 3280 times)
Gracy
Chocks-a-lot

« on: May 15, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »

Over 4th of July weekend we are camping with a big group... at total of 30 of us and the group is growing... but the trip it could be more.  ANYWAY there will be about 10 kids ranging in age from 11 years - 3 years... then about 6 teenagers.... what are some good activity ideas for the 11 years - 3 years kids?  I was thinking maybe a scavenger hunt but other then that I'm at a loss.  Any ideas appreciated.
Adopt-a-grey
Back-er-in-er

San Diego County, CA

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »

Movie night!

We have a large family reunion trip every year and manage to show a movie on a big white sheet.  It is always fun!  We tend to stick w/ the Pixar films so adults and kids can find common ground.  Everyone gets involved in setting up chairs, hanging the sheet and dishing out a movie snack (homemade ice cream and popcorn are favorites but we've had prepackaged pudding w/ whipped cream!).

Don't get caught up in bringing a real screen as that takes the ambiance of a camping movie!  We always keep an eye on the volume so you we don't bother our neighbors and have never had any problems (other than forgetting computer speakers!)

Power and sound are always our biggest obstacles since we rarely have hook ups on our trips.  We've always made it work w/ a dry run at home.  Some projectors are real power hungry and make the planning a little more difficult.

Make a fast friend...  Adopt a greyhound!

Joe California  Vali California  DD '03 California
Tundra '13 Toyota Explorer '05 Ford Starcraft Centennial 2600 '04  PopUp Green
Nights camped: 45/'05; 38/'06; 36/'07; 40/'08; 50/'09; 50/'10; 41/'11; 33/'12; 32/'13; 16 so far this year
CampingFamily1
Back-er-in-er

Mpls/St.Paul, MN 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Sun Valley

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 03:55:58 PM »

Our church does large outings.  We have some planned time, and other times for everyone to do whatever they want.  A lot join in for swimming at the beach.  There is a group plan for a large campfire, and a singing time (away from quiet campers at the pavilion).

Geocaching is also good for those interested.

Gracy
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:59:34 PM »

So far I've decided on treasure hunt and movie night.  I just need to figure out how to make a movie screen.  We can't afford a blow up screen... they cost to much for us right now.  Any ideas on how to make an easy movie screen would be appreciated :)
Adopt-a-grey
Back-er-in-er

San Diego County, CA

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »

We just use a plain old bed sheet hanging from an EZ Up.  It works great!  Make sure it hangs low enough so you can add rocks if the wind kicks up!

Lots of people play games.  I think there was a discussion about them in the Hobby section of PUX awhile back. 

http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=65508.0

We've considered picking up mini-golf:

http://www.amazon.com/Wham-O-Mini-Frisbee-Golf-Set/dp/B000OWL0X0

Also, plain old softballs and gloves at a campground work great.  Some of our older folks have a great time playing w/ the kids!

If it is hot, don't forget water guns/balloons.  Kids love them but make sure they pick up the balloon bits if you set it up!

One trip the kids had fun w/ one of those "Ice Cream Maker Balls".  Seems like a whole lot of work for little success but everyone seemed to have a good time so what do I know!

Have a great time!

Make a fast friend...  Adopt a greyhound!

Joe California  Vali California  DD '03 California
Tundra '13 Toyota Explorer '05 Ford Starcraft Centennial 2600 '04  PopUp Green
Nights camped: 45/'05; 38/'06; 36/'07; 40/'08; 50/'09; 50/'10; 41/'11; 33/'12; 32/'13; 16 so far this year
The Sod Father
PUXaholic

YO! The Philadelphia metropolitan area.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »

How about making t-shits?  Each kid brings a plain white T shirt and they have to decorate it with some kind of theme for the weekend?  You can also have them tie die t-shirts.

Have kids collect kindling and fire wood.  That should keep them busy for a while since most campgrounds are picked clean by other campers.

A variety show - each kids has to perform a skit, sing a song, tell a joke, etc.  Every kid has at least one talent.  Even if it is blowing spit bubbles.  This is an opportunity for them to shine!

USA    Greek Flag    Pennsylvania
Me '63
DW '66, DD '93, DD '97, Pluto '02 Golden Retriever
2011 Keystone Bullet 31BHPR TravTrl Long Blue= Pickup White'14 Ford F-350 Lariat PSD

Held together with a Hensley Arrow

"The Rock" - 2007 Rockwood 8317SS
 Hybrid 2007 Shamrock 233 PopUp Green'03.5 Coleman Utah CP

http://community.webshots.com/user/thesodfather
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks!"

- Sir Winston Churchill
CampingFamily1
Back-er-in-er

Mpls/St.Paul, MN 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Sun Valley

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »

The best activity is relaxing

Campergirl1028
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »

Scavenger hunts are really good-as are the tye dye shirts...
I am working on some tutorials for 'jewelry making' knot tying type of things that would be fun.
Bubbles--always a good time.

-trek for sticks, kindling
-contests--biggest bubble (gum), races, swim contests
-kickball/dodgeball
-I saw a bowling game... take plastic soda bottles-fill with water-food coloring?  Recap.  Use a ball to knock over the balls.-might be interesting.

Do one of those games where everyone has a name on their back/or item and they have to ask others yes or no questions to figure out what it is.  Cartoon characters, etc would make that fun for the young ones!
GL!
blw2
Back-er-in-er

Jacksonville, FL

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:06:37 AM »

Along the same lines as the scavenger hunt I suppose, but you could practice compass skills with a treasure hunt..... or if the crowd is more techie, set up as a GPS geo caching game.

Brad
DW Julie
DS, '05
DD, '08
DD, '11
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: