April 17, 2014, 12:45:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to turn on furnace in fleetwood  (Read 4343 times)
dustyr
Handle Cranker

« on: March 28, 2011, 07:54:06 PM »

Is there an off on switch.  Tuned gas on and no heat
jwhite
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:08:34 PM »

on the thermostat, upper right corner

me
DW
DS 94
DD 03
DD 07
2012 Z71 Silverado crew cab
06 Fleetwood Bayside
1985 Scamper pop up(sold)
amn385
Handle Cranker

Carpinteria State Beach, near Santa Barbara

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:10:49 PM »

There is on ours.  At the top of the thermostat an on/off switch, it doesn't move easily...

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia
2010 Toyota Sequoia
BigDawgGang
Chocks-a-lot

Lifetime Member of Steeler Nation

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 03:29:06 AM »

Our thermostat on our fleetwood is brown.  The on / off switch is at the top as stated above.  You have to get down and really look for it.  And once you find it, it does not move very easy.  You have  to push it hard. 

Andy '70 Pennsylvania, Kelly '75 Pennsylvania, Kyle  '02 Pennsylvania, Bryce '03 Pennsylvania

States Camped In: Pennsylvania Maryland Ohio  North Carolina West Virginia  Indiana  South Dakota Wyoming Nebraska

2005 - 6 Days        2008 - 5 Days           2011 - 10 Days
2006 - 5 Days        2009 - 12 Days
2007 - 3 Days        2010 - 31 Days
dustyr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:45:38 AM »

By thermostat, do you mean the brown fan under the sink.  Where is the thermostat
uploon
Back-er-in-er

Northern Chicago Suburbs, but a Milw Brewers Fan!

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 08:37:30 AM »

The air will need to be bled from the propane lines.  I do this by lighting a burner on the stove, and run for a few minutes.  Plus make sure you have power-from the battery or shore power aka "plugged in" 

The brown/tan grate maybe 6"x 12" mounted in a cabinet is the furnace/blower assembly itself. 

Remove the cover by twisting the black tab at the bottom, and lifting off the cover.  Inside will be a little black switch with an "O" and an "I".  O=off  I=on.  Press on the I to rock the switch into on position.  Replace cover.

Then somewhere in your camper is the thermostat itself.  If it is stock, it's probably 3"x3".  It may be mounted under a dinettte seat as was on our Santa Fe, or on another surface in the PUP.  In our Utah, it's located on a cabinet just inside the door.  It is probably recessed in a brown or tan piece of plastic.  Move the switch on top to the on position.  If it is stock, it will move with some difficulty as stated by others.  Then set the temp.  Again, if it is stock, it is not the most precision instrument, and you may want to replace it with a digital model(search other posts for this.)

The blower should kick on, and then the burner will iginite and you'll have heat.  Then when the temp is achieved, the burner will turn off, but the blower will continue for a bit to clear out any propane.  It then cycles on and off as needed.

It may cycle through a few times trying to purge the air.  Hope this helps, and let us know if it works.

Cheers, JC

JC September 11 BEER! Illinois
Becky September 11 Martini Iowa
& the 3 Cats (non-campers)

1970 Camel-long retired- but still used by another Smile
1999 Coleman Santa Fe- Retired
2004 Fleetwood UtahCP--[popgreen]
2005 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab-for all the stuff Chevrolet
dustyr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 08:42:49 AM »

Thanks I will try when I get home.  I did not think I could use electricty at the same time.  But that must mean I cannot use the fridge on both.  So, if I hear you right, I must be plugged in for the fan to work?  Does that mean I cannot have heat where there is no electrcity?
uploon
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »

If you have a battery, you can run the furnace off of it, but you need to use it sparingly.  We camp w/o power for a week at a time, and can use the furnace, but mostly to take the chill and dampness out of the pup at night and maintain a "comfortable" 56-60 or so, as we are under the sleeping bags/quilts/whatever we may be using.  We also minimize use of the onboard lights as they drain the battery quickly also.  Some have retrofitted LED bulbs in place of the incandescents.  I also carry a second battery for that week just in case it runs low.

For indoor lighting and fans if needed, we carry battery operated units for that week.

I would not run the fridge off of battery, as it will drain in a matter of hours.  Run it off of propane, as I am figuring you have a three way fridge, and it will cool quickly, quietly, and efficiently.

However, if you have shore power, you can run the furnace, fridge, etc all at once.

Cheers, JC

dustyr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:50:11 AM »

So the gas will always run the heater, but the electric and battery will blow it?
TomHaes
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »

You need the gas to produce the heat.  You need battery or shore power to operate the fan. These have nothing to do with the fridge.  That can run on battery or gas or shore power (if it is a 3 way). As was stated above both the heater and fridge will kill a battery fast (fridge faster then the heater). You can run all your gas appliances at the same time, just as you can run all your lights at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 11:50:35 AM by gryl » Logged

Tom

2011 KZ Spree  220KS
2013 Ford 150 EcoBoost
Nights camped in 2013 RV 13 - Scouting 20
2005 Nissan Titan
Nights camped in 2012 RV 20 - Scouting 14
Nights camped in 2011 RV 12 - Scouting 17
Nights camped in 2002 Coleman Tacoma 2005 - 2010 111
Geocaches Found 235
dustyr
Handle Cranker

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »

So if you are way up in the mountains, make sure you have gas?  How long can a heater run on 20 gallons of gas?  Do you have to run the fan if the heater is on?
uploon
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »

A 20lb tank will run the fridge for quite a long time.  The heater it just depends on how long you run the furnace.  So yes, if you are way up in the mtns, make sure you have enough propane.  Just a guess, but 20 lbs should easily last a week or two at least unless you're running the heat and the stove constantly--others may be able to offer more insight on this.

The fan/blower and the propane burner operate in conjunction with each other.  Without the blower you get no heat.  The blower kicks on to clear out any fumes that may be left from combustion-a safety feature.  The fan/blower also operates a "sail switch" which will allow the furnace to ignite (burn propane to create heat)-it's another safety device.  The fan blows on this switch causing it to move or "sail" if you will.  It then creates a contact that allows the burner to ignite.  If the switch isn't "sailing" there will be no combustion, as there will be no contact from this switch.

The burner ignites, and the fan blows heat.  Once the desired temp is met, the burner kicks off, but the fan will blow a bit more to clear out any fumes from combustion--this is another safety feature.

So in short you need the fan and the propane together- the burner will not work w/o the fan-- that is you can't just run the burner to create heat.

You can operate the fridge (on propane) and the furnace at the same time.  Just as I said though the furnace will drain a battery quickly if not used sparingly.  You'll know if your battery is running low as the propane alarm will start beeping--usually at 3am.

Cheers, JC

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: