July 29, 2014, 04:43:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I visited the PUP yesterday and found...  (Read 5959 times)
PattieAM
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 04:19:46 AM »

My PUP's been open and 'lived in' all winter....just yesterday noticed a trail of ants (tiny ones) in the PUP and traced them to the bench/sofa where the converter and water heater are located (Niagara).  A mouse had a nest in/on the water heater (a bit of insulation was the attraction)...he'd nibbled some of the styrofoam cover, and as I had sprinkled mouse poison in all of the unseen areas, may have eaten a bit, died in the nest on the water heater and attracted ants.  A quick shot of ant killer and a thorough clean up and sprays of bleach and a bit more mouse poison cleaned up the mess.  (I've been spraying the tires, stabilizers/tongue jack regularly to deter ants).

No damage done, other than some styrofoam beads gnawed and discarded by Mr. Mouse. 

My tip - check this cubby regularly - if Mr. Mouse had not died, he could have removed alot more of the styrofoam insulation and the water heater would not retain it's heat, and whoever sat on the sofa could have hot crossed buns!

1997 Dodge 1500
2000 Dodge Durango
2006 Fleetwood Niagara
Nights Camped-2006:  51
Nights Camped-2007:  42
Nights Camped-2008:  28
Packman
Back-er-in-er

Milwaukee, Wi

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »

Scott,

Yeah, so far it looks good but won't know for sure until I crank the roof.

A real long-shot is that 2nd story addition.  Grin

Dennis

I'm not sure why you would want the 2nd story, you would have to cut a hole through the roof to get the 2nd story.  The basement is where you add the extra space.  I don't know what you are thinking!   Plus if there is a storm, you have a safe place to go!

Scott

Scott
DD- Morgan
Draco - German Shephard and Therapy Dog

2004 Ford Explorer V6
2003.5 Coleman Bayside
Brenda M
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »

I stopped by my pup on Sunday, gave it pat and said "not today, but soon"  Open the storage truck and I could still smell some smoke  a tiny bit..  must be the area rug...  Now if Michigan weather would cooperate and get in the 50's....

Brenda M

POPPIN since May 05
Coleman Cheyene 2001
Ford Explore 2001
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »

I'm not sure why you would want the 2nd story, you would have to cut a hole through the roof to get the 2nd story.  The basement is where you add the extra space.  I don't know what you are thinking!   Plus if there is a storm, you have a safe place to go!

Scott

You must have forgotten I dabble with telescopes. Can't put the observatory in the basement. Big Smile

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
RICKSNIAGARA2006
Handle Cranker

Louisville,KY

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »

I wasn't so fortunate over the winter....we took all food out of camper at the end of last season, and did my best to seal the popup and placed Decon and traps around the garage. Mice still got in the camper and did quite abit of damage. I have holes chewed in several window screens, bunk end canvas and a small hole in the roof of one bunkend, I'm really bummed, kinda makes me want to go to the darkside, but I love the tent feel! I can't fiqure out what attracted them other than a place to nest, I was told to try peppermint oil, next winter I will be more diligent, little boogers can do some major damage!

Rick & Nicki
Daughter-Emily
2 Boston Terriers -Twinkie & Cricket
2006 Fleetwood Niagara hybrid Red
2006 Toyota Tundra Limited 4WD 4 Door Toyota  Pickup Black
Packman
Back-er-in-er

Milwaukee, Wi

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 05:50:09 PM »

Scott

You must have forgotten I dabble with telescopes. Can't put the observatory in the basement. Big Smile

But then you have to make it rotate!   Big Smile

Scott

Scott
DD- Morgan
Draco - German Shephard and Therapy Dog

2004 Ford Explorer V6
2003.5 Coleman Bayside
Sweet Chariot
Chocks-a-lot

Campaholic

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

...I was told to try peppermint oil, next winter I will be more diligent, little boogers can do some major damage!

I saw a trio of mice last week, two carrying peppermint lollipops, and the third tugging a big peppermint plant behind him... so I don't know about that...

2011 Chalet Takena-1860-Bunkhouse TravTlr Black  Pickup Black (new truck!)              Canada  USA        Roll Eyes me Kisses DW Cool DS (11) Tongue DS (9)
Sweet Chariot the PUP  PopUp Green (sold)
WHCIII
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 06:02:28 AM »

2 items I haven't decided on yet but may happen. Changing the awning's vertical support poles so they're attached to the camper

Is there a kit for that? I was thinking the same thing but don't have access to a fabrication shop.

PopUp Grey Van Grey
'91 Coleman Williamsburg - '05 Odyssey
 USAMississippi
Nights Camped In 2010: 8
Nights Camped In 2011: 9
Old Granddad
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 04:52:35 PM »

That some unprincipled jackass had stolen the type 29 battery, damaged the battery box lid in so doing, and had, for some reason, stolen one of the "caribiners" (sp?) that fasten the safety chain to the tongue.  All this in a "secure" storage lot at Public Storage.  Then, just for fun, towed it home and went to check the mail, only to find a postcard from Public Storage saying they are raising the rent next month.  And of course, they disclaim any liability for the theft in the boilerplate of the lease.  So much for "secure" storage.  Phooey.

It looks like the bad guy(s) may have had thoughts of stealing the whole trailer, as the hitch ball lock had been tampered with.  Maybe they found the hitch ball lock, got frustrated, and decided to take the battery out of spite.  Dunno.  The stabs were down, too, which, if they didn't have the right tool/handle, pretty much nailed the trailer in place.

Whatthehell gets into people these days?  IT'S NOT YOUR STUFF, turkey, so hands off!

There.  I feel better already.  Smiley

OGD
 Oregon  PopUp Blue  Pickup Grey

Old Granddad
Salem, Oregon

'06 Nissan Frontier V6
'08 Fleetwood Sun Valley
('89 Coleman Chesapeake, gone, but not forgotten)
(??") Apache Mesa (canvas), good riddance
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »

2 items I haven't decided on yet but may happen. Changing the awning's vertical support poles so they're attached to the camper

Is there a kit for that? I was thinking the same thing but don't have access to a fabrication shop.

That's actually not too difficult. Can do it with just hand tools and a drill. Here's a couple ways of doing it I bookmarked for when the time comes.

http://gmcamping.tripod.com/id13.html

http://picasaweb.google.com/Brad.recumbentman/AwningMod#

http://www.softsmart.com/popup/Temperature.html
Look down the pg. a bit.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: