October 25, 2014, 06:31:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New(to me) Pop-Up - No Title!  (Read 9450 times)
mridgley
Wheel Chocker

« on: February 16, 2011, 06:36:04 PM »

Hello Campers!  I just purchased my first pop-up.  It is a 1998 Rockwood 2306 model.  I bought this bad boy for 1K here locally.  There are a few problems that I need help with.

I got this thing so cheap because it does not have a title.  The previous owner bought it from a church friend that bought this from a previous owner that bought it from the title-holder.  So I am now the 5th owner  and the actual title has never been changed from the owner.

I live in Texas so I donít know what the law thinks of this but it is not currently registered so I am at risk every time I put it on the road.

How do I obtain legally obtain the title or equivalent?
kfriceman
Parking Heckler

Ferndale, WA

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:40:10 PM »

Go to your DMV and ask this same question?

Welcome to PUX!

-Kevin

2008 Tango 299BHS  2007 GMC Yukon Denali * 2000 Coleman Niagara GTE * 2001 Mercedes ML430

Trip count 2014: 5
Nights Camped: 30
knobbyhead
Back-er-in-er

The Sea Shore NJ

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:33:46 PM »

What kfriceman  said.

I bought my popup and just showed dmv a hand written receipt.   No title needed.   However, other states are different       

Bob

DW - Trish
1995 Jayco J1006
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Volvo 240

SteveP
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »

I you can find the original owner maybe he'll sign for you.  Otherwise, good luck.  You may be able to get a salvage title, if the trailer was never reported stolen.  I've also heard that some people title them as home built but TX has different liscense formats for travel and utility trailers.

Best go to the Co Clerks office and get the right answers.

BTW, I have a boat you might be interested in, cheap.

monkeywrencher
Back-er-in-er

Twin Cities Minnesota

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:58:11 AM »

+1 on going to the DMV.

Make sure you have all the information they will need when you go in.

Year, Make, Model and VIN. 

They are going to want to look it up to make sure it isn't listed as stolen.  After that they should be able to help you get a title.  My local DMV has done some magic when I had no idea what to do.  They know the system and how to work it.

Monkeywrencher '61
DW '62
DD '99
DS '02
'10 Flagstaff 228
'01 Grand Caravan
capy235co
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 07:05:47 AM »

Every state is different but be sure to take all the paperwork you have and a bill of sale from the person you bought it from. That may be all you need. The DMV can give you a print out of the current owner of record and it might be that you can get it from them.

Good luck.

Capy235co  '48
DW '49
Chev Trailblazer
Coleman Sedona 2001
Pueblo West, Colorado
mridgley
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »

UPDATE:  So I contacted the DMV - they sent me back to the county tax office - I was then sent to the regional tax office.  What I am going to have to do is file for a "Bonded Title".  Bunch of paperwork - insurance company will need to write me up a bond of some-sort.  Take all of this information back to the local tax office and then they can talk to me.

Note to self:  Don't buy a camper without a clean title.  Oh well - I got the SMOKING deal.
ScoobyDoo
Parking Heckler

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 06:04:47 AM »

It is a 1998 Rockwood 2306 model.  I bought this bad boy for 1K here locally
       Oh well - I got the SMOKING deal.

What are you smoking? I guess you got some good parts? Nowdays I would find out about the title BEFORE I handed over any money. In the days that I walked thru the valley, I would have just "found" a currant plate and used it...but I would have never paid half what is worth.

Me-49(year not age)
Her-53(me to)
FD Sadie-8
FD SiSi-5
FD Maggie-5
FS-Luke-18 Went to the campground in the sky on 7/20/09 while camping
'05 Ram 1500
'96 Starcraft
monkeywrencher
Back-er-in-er

Twin Cities Minnesota

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »

Talk about overly complicated!  DMV handles all of it here.  We don't have county or regional tax offices, vehicle taxes are the job of the DMV.

Monkeywrencher '61
DW '62
DD '99
DS '02
'10 Flagstaff 228
'01 Grand Caravan
bondo54
Chocks-a-lot

Southern Michigan (Jackson County)

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 07:33:19 AM »

Hello Campers!  I just purchased my first pop-up.  It is a 1998 Rockwood 2306 model.  I bought this bad boy for 1K here locally.  There are a few problems that I need help with.

I got this thing so cheap because it does not have a title.  The previous owner bought it from a church friend that bought this from a previous owner that bought it from the title-holder.  So I am now the 5th owner  and the actual title has never been changed from the owner.

I live in Texas so I donít know what the law thinks of this but it is not currently registered so I am at risk every time I put it on the road.

How do I obtain legally obtain the title or equivalent?

For that kind of cash my rule is no title no sale. In some states jumping title like that is against the law.  USA Michigan  PopUp Blue  Pickup Red Ford BEER! BEER! BEER!

PU: 1997 Coleman West Lake
TV: 2007 Chevy Silverado 4X4
First PU 1968 Wheel Camper
kandbmiller
Handle Cranker

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »

We had the same experience. It was a pain and cost us around $200 between the DMV and getting lost title insurance coverage. I'll never do that again. We still camped in it for over a year before we finished all the red tape and got the title and never had any problems. The previous owner never bothered with getting the title and camped in it for a couple years before we bought it (we are the third owners). Next time, the first question I'll ask the seller is if they have the title.

1 wife
5 kids 8 to 18
1998 Coleman Sea Pine
2001 Suburban

http://community.webshots.com/user/kandbmiller
trs
Handle Cranker

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »

I just purchased a new pop up and sold old to my daughter, neither one had a title, just certificate of oriqin. The registry just wants their tax $, so you need a bill of sale.

Tim & Christine

"13" Durango Citadel
"11" Palomino
warwgn3
Chocks-a-lot

Car shows are 2nd only to camping!

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »

When I got my pup, it didn't come with a title either.  I just told the MTO (Ontario DMV) that the trailer was "home made", and all was good.

Cheers
Doug Corrigan
1971 SE.Woods Adventurer

Tow Vehicles:
2002 Chevrolet Astro LT. TL: 4,800 lbs
1990 Lincoln Continental Mark VII. TL: 2,000 lbs
1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara J2 4x4. TL: 1,500 lbs
buttrys
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »

Note to self:  Don't buy a camper without a clean title.

I learned this same lesson on a little Yamaha Razz scooter a few years ago.  In Illinois its a pain to license anything without a title. Thankfully the little bike didnt cost me that much and I ended up unloading it on craigslist!  Wink

The Buttrys
2012 Jayco Jayflight 28bhs
2008 Nissan Armada
Brian
Back-er-in-er

Redondo Beach, CA

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:43:32 AM »

When I got my pup, it didn't come with a title either.  I just told the MTO (Ontario DMV) that the trailer was "home made", and all was good.

When I lived in Texas I knew people who did this on more than one occasion. The County Tax office just wants their $$$ and when people stated that the trailer was home made, they got plates. No further questions asked

FWIW
Brian

BEER!California      DH-61
Illinois   DW-66
California DS-87
Texas DS-93
Texas DD-96
Texas DS-98
Texas DD-01
Ozzie the camping Basset
Big Smile    YES it's 5!
 SUV Red Nissan 2008 Nissan Pathfinder