December 22, 2014, 11:24:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you sell a camper(Title question)  (Read 6585 times)
SirBigSpur
Handle Cranker

Back home in Columbia!

« on: January 27, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »

Hey everyone,

Finally moved my wife and I down to Columbia SC but unfortunately earlier this summer our tow vehicle decided to blow up. We had to replace it with a vehicle that can not tow our popup so I decided to sell it. I have a few guys coming this weekend to check it out and if someone wants to buy it how does the title transfer work? I still have an Ohio title for it and I assume I just can't give him that. Does anyone have any insight on how this works?

Chris And Kendra + Betty+Diesel (The Boston Terriers!)
1998 Coleman Santa Fe
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 02:36:10 PM »

Yes you can, just sign over the Ohio title to the buyer and also give him a bill of sale. I am also in SC; I bought a camper in North Carolina and he gave me a endorsed NC title and a bill of sale. Took all to Motor Vehicle Dept and all was well. The buyer will have to pay sales tax before he can register.

Notary seal not required in SC with out of state title.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 02:56:36 AM by rjniles » Logged

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
beemerphile1
Parking Heckler

NE Ohio

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »

I live in Ohio and have bought and sold vehicles here for over 35 years.

Hopefully when you purchased the pup the title was signed over to you and you got a new title in your name. 

You will need a notary public to witness your signature on the back of the title.  Notaries can be found at most all banks, all car dealers, and possibly other places.  The charge is usually $1 to $2 for the notary's service.  That is all you need to do.

The buyer will then need to take the title to the county title bureau, pay sales tax, and have a new title issued in their name.

Edit;  I just realized you are not in Ohio but have an Ohio title.  You will most likely need to have the title transferred over to a SC title.  Then you will need to follow whatever SC procedure is required.  I posted the Ohio procedure above.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:33:32 PM by beemerphile1 » Logged

Tim
32 nights camped in 2014
30 nights camped in 2013
33 nights camped in 2012
36 nights camped in 2011

Momma said; "If you argue with a fool, it makes it hard to tell which one is the fool".

2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L towing 2009 Aliner Sport  Chalet/AlinerCar Blue
1998 Ford E150 towing 2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900 TravTrl Long Blue Van Blue
1996 BMW R1100GS
2005 Trek Madone
1994 Burley tandem
jenniferl
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 06:24:54 AM »

I'm a loan officer at a credit union and deal with these kinds of questions all the time.  What I've learned is that it's best for the buyer to call their local county clerk to see what is required.

Jennifer, Jeff, Alex, & Sarah
'01 Coleman Bayside-sold
'85 Tidwell Motor Coach-sold
'93 VW Westfalia Weekender
TenneseeTennesee
SirBigSpur
Handle Cranker

Back home in Columbia!

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 02:23:53 PM »

Thanks guys, I found out all I need to do is sign over the title and have it notarized which I will just have done at the bank when I sell the camper. Just had my first no show today so I feel like I wasted a Saturday! Angry

Chris And Kendra + Betty+Diesel (The Boston Terriers!)
1998 Coleman Santa Fe
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:21:42 PM »

Post an ad in craigslist
http://columbia.craigslist.org/

Take plenty of pics. Make sure that you list every little detail about the camper. Awning, heater, A/C, water heater, 3-burner stove, leveling jacks, tongue jack, lino-floor, chrome bumper, spare tire, front door with screen........... You get the point. Make the people feel like this trailer has everything they need and they don't have to ask a bunch of stupid questions.

Take the time to clean it up and shine it......shiny sells. Dull brings brutal, cut-throat offers and some of those may fall through. The cleaner it is, the faster it will sell also.

Put your ph# in the ad.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
Camping Queen
Back-er-in-er

San Clemente, CA

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 07:39:19 PM »

I completely agree with wavery.  I listed my Viking much like he suggested.  I had 3 calls within 15 minutes, and the first guy out bought it some 45 minutes later!  Good luck.

Jane -'6?  Deleware         
DH Dennis (The Reluctant Camper) -'58 Texas  
DD1 -'98  California
DD2 -'01  California
'14 Toyota Tacoma  Pickup Grey
'05 Honda Odyssey  Van Blue
'04 Jayco Eagle 12 FSO   PopUp Green
mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »

Second craigslist. In the first hour I had 40+ calls. Cash in hand, the camper left the driveway 1 hour 15 min after posting the add.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: