October 25, 2014, 06:54:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New (to me) Viking Little Gasser  (Read 4465 times)
dbetz10
Kindlin' Collector

« on: January 26, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »

I just picked up a older Viking Little Gasser SL 16S, I dont know much about the camper but it looks very similar to this one:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/254135-opinions-pop-up-camper.html

The lady says that everything in it works and that it is all there but being winter I am unable to check it at the moment. She also did not have a title for it so I am unsure of the year, does any know know what year it is?
Here is the big problem, after driving and showing up her husband bothered to mention that it doesnt have the canvas anymore. They got got it from their neighbor with plans to strip the tailor so when they opened it he had cut it all out. Im only 18 and this is my first pop up, I dont have the money to buy a new one and was hoping someone might have a used canvas or know of a way to "make one" i cant spend more then about $200-300 max on a canvas and would hate to see the PUP get scrapped. I paid $50 for it and with everything working I think it was a good deal.
I will post pictures of the actual  PUP when spring is here.

Thank You for any help!
-Devin
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:01:57 PM »

Look through the different year Vikings at nada.com
The only 'SL' I found was 1980

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1980/Viking

Viking owner's manuals
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:04:34 PM by rabird » Logged

dbetz10
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:54:08 PM »

Thank You for the response, that manual answered a lot of questions for me and if I can come up with a canvas it will help me greatly!
Brian
Back-er-in-er

Redondo Beach, CA

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:30:05 PM »

Welcome to the PUX Devin!

I would think that your odds of finding a serviceable used canvas for this Viking would be in the "winning the lottery" range. The good news is that if the Popup is in very good condition other than the canvas you could probably get a new canvas from Bear Creek (my choice!) or Canvas Replacements (also highly recommended by many here) for the $600-800 range allowing you to probably (at least) double your money in the spring on Craigslist or EBAY Smile.

If the camper turns out not to be in pristine condition you might try parting it out online (EBAY) in the spring. You might be surprised what a working Popup faucet, or furnace, or 120v-12v converter box will fetch. The hollowed out "utility" trailer you are left with will certainly bring more than your $50 investment.

Either way you should be fine, money-wise Wink

Good Luck,
Brian

BEER!California      DH-61
Illinois   DW-66
California DS-87
Texas DS-93
Texas DD-96
Texas DS-98
Texas DD-01
Ozzie the camping Basset
Big Smile    YES it's 5!
 SUV Red Nissan 2008 Nissan Pathfinder
 PopUp Grey 2010 Palomino Banshee B-2
Rastus
Handle Cranker

Richard camps with 3 little kids in E. TN

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 05:43:39 PM »

Viking lift arms and cable brackets are also in high demand.  If you part it out, I may be interested in a few lift system parts.

We are making memories our kids will tell their grandkids about. 
Richard Camps with his 3 little kids in E. TN.  My wife just doesn't understand camping, so we don't make her join us.
dbetz10
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 07:08:10 AM »

That was my thoughts also. I figured worse case to part it out, it shouldn't be hard to make my money back! I guess we will see what kind of shape is in when spring comes.

If I do decide to part it out the parts with first be offered here on the forum!

Does anyone know if there is a way to get just the pattern for the canvas? Without having the old one ive seen its a problem to get a new one without the old pattern.

Thank You.  Chevrolet
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: