October 23, 2014, 07:45:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone make there own accumulator tank?  (Read 6975 times)
Young Jayco Owners
Chocks-a-lot

1996 Jayco 1068

« on: January 01, 2011, 10:53:37 PM »

Adding to my list of things I want to do when the camper comes out of storage! and this one can be waiting to be installed when it comes home :)

Wanting to know if anyone has made there own accumulator tank and how it has worked for them!?
http://www.modmyrv.com/2009/06/10/rv-diy-water-accumulator

Also wanted to ask a few questions about the build as the mod guide above is good it still leaves out a few steps that im thinking out befor I dig in!

THANKS AS ALWAYS

Pickup Black 2005  Ford F-150 STX 6in lift 34's         
 PopUp Green  1996 Jayco 1001
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:59:43 AM »

The problem with this type of accumulator, even as the author of this article mentioned, is that it doesn't have an internal rubber bladder but instead relies on the fact air inside it can be compressed ... to an extent.  No doubt it's better than nothing and I suppose could make for an entertaining project but I otherwise I can't imagine why you'd bother when an accumulator tank like this ShurFlo which is designed for the purpose is readily available at a reasonable cost and is a time proven solution to the problem of pump cycling.  Those with larger rigs that have a lot of plumbing can benefit from an even larger accumulator tank but for those of us with less plumbing the smaller ShurFlo works just fine for the purpose.  My suggestion ... don't over think all these changes you want to make to your camper as most often "good enough" is, well ... good enough! Approve Wink

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
TMMull
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 07:07:44 AM »

For what it's worth We have the Sure Flow tank in our HTT. It works just fine and takes up very little space. No more dribbling hot water heater! They can be had for as little as $35.

2008 Starcraft Antigua 185SB
2005 Ford F150 Scab.
Young Jayco Owners
Chocks-a-lot

1996 Jayco 1068

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40:47 AM »

I think from now on ill just send my questions strait to you oz  Wink, so do you use the smaller size accumulator as well?

I never knew a solution was available untill I ran across that mod so up untill now I would have left it alone but comming from when I was a kid growing up camping I always hated the slurgie water faucet and the dreaded flush in the middle of the night and knowing that there is a solution for a small price of 40 bucks im all about it....

I agree with you though oz it appears to me that buying the premade one looks like it would make more sense considering someone in the comments on that link said it cost them around 40 bucks to make so I think Ill go ahead and get the premade   Big Smile

Pickup Black 2005  Ford F-150 STX 6in lift 34's         
 PopUp Green  1996 Jayco 1001
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 08:07:22 AM »

... so do you use the smaller size accumulator as well?

I bought a ShurFlo accumulator tank 10 years ago to reduce the pump cycling in our 2000 Santa Fe, then re-installed it in our 2007 TrailCruiser hybrid, then for a third time installed it in our current travel trailer.  It does help reduce pump cycling so IMO it is worth having and considering it's relatively modest cost has been well worth the investment.  Of course you still want to take all the other steps to quell the racket your pump makes but there's no doubt the accumulator tank does help.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Chuck S
PUX is my life

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:33 AM »

Some things are so simple and work so well it's not worth trying to re-invent them.

-- Chuck

'02 Bayside '06 Roo 23SS behind '02 Explorer '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photos.
CraigK
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »

Personally as a plumber for 35 yrs, air tanks are big FAV of mine. But, like Chuck says, it is simple.
I am doing an air tank on mine in the spring. Just to stop my water heater from dripping out the
relief when it gets hot.

I just like the kiss method. One less air cap to leak, one less bladder to tear or *stick*.
Try getting a bladder that hit the top off if you run out of air.

I am babbling. It just a what? 30 dollar bladder tank mod? But I am doing air hehehehe.
Plus I am making mine long, 2 inches round, and stashing it in a waste space area. Give me
a few extra inches of space to hide stuff by the pump.
Sweet Chariot
Chocks-a-lot

Campaholic

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:34:38 AM »

I bought a 2 gal. accumulator (pressure) tank from home depot. It was similar but much less expensive that the ShurFlo stainless tank. It allows for 12 seconds of running the kitchen sink on full before the pump kicks in. The noise reduction is hard to say - I can barely tell if pump is off or on. One advantage I noticed is that the toilet flushes much better because the pressure doesn't drop instantly. Instead the water swirls like it should.

2011 Chalet Takena-1860-Bunkhouse TravTlr Black  Pickup Black (new truck!)              Canada  USA        Roll Eyes me Kisses DW Cool DS (11) Tongue DS (9)
Sweet Chariot the PUP  PopUp Green (sold)
mbopp
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »

I picked up a NIB NOS 2 gallon tank on Ebay a few years back. It's plumbed in with a QD hose coupler and mounted on a Velcro pad so it's an easy in-out for winterizing.

DW & Me
"A bad day of camping is better than a good day at work"
TravTrl Blue Pickup Red
'13 North Trail 21FBS & '12 F-150 EcoBoost (AKA "Ecobeast")
17' Wenonah Kevlar & 16' Dagger Royalex canoes
gijoecam
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:15:23 AM »

The other problem from the setup used in the OP's link is that, over time, the air in the chamber will gradually absorb back into the water.  Under pressure, the air will slowly disappear from the chamber, to be replaced by water.  Unless you can drain it back out, at that point you've just got a couple gallons of extra watter to carry around in it.

An Accumulator is the way to go...  honestly.

'03.5 Coleman Monterey  2004 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y, '00 Ford F-150 4x4

Gallery here

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
miatared
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 03:48:34 PM »

I have the Shurflo installed in my Shamrock 19 and it works very well.

Took all of 30 minutes to install, right next to the pump under the dinette seat.

Pump no longer cycles every time we use the faucets.

D&D
Pickering, ON
2010 Sabre 31 REDS-6 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 SuperCab XLT

++     God only created so many perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair ++
Sweet Chariot
Chocks-a-lot

Campaholic

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »

The other problem from the setup used in the OP's link is that, over time, the air in the chamber will gradually absorb back into the water.  Under pressure, the air will slowly disappear from the chamber, to be replaced by water.  Unless you can drain it back out, at that point you've just got a couple gallons of extra watter to carry around in it.

Can you explain this? Why does the water seep into the tank? I think that has already happened to me - or else I've just lost some air pressure in the tank - it's not doing anything after only 4 months.

2011 Chalet Takena-1860-Bunkhouse TravTlr Black  Pickup Black (new truck!)              Canada  USA        Roll Eyes me Kisses DW Cool DS (11) Tongue DS (9)
Sweet Chariot the PUP  PopUp Green (sold)
shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 02:48:15 AM »

Can you explain this? Why does the water seep into the tank? I think that has already happened to me - or else I've just lost some air pressure in the tank - it's not doing anything after only 4 months.

Using the home made accumulator the air quite literally dissolves into the water giving up the space in the accumulator.  Now with a store bought accumulator the water and the air do not mix as the air is behind the rubber bladder and is compressed through usually a Schrader valve.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams
FYBO II, III & IV!
Ontario Provincial Parks Advocate
CraigK
Handle Cranker

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 08:33:53 PM »

Well I lied earlier. I found a 3 gallon tank with a bladder that fit beside my water tank. 6o dollars at Canadian Tire and presto. Done. I can flush the toilet 10 times before the pump runs. And no more blowing water tank relief valve exposing my lines to 150+ PSI as the pressure biulds before the relief blows.

Sooner or later I have to step out of the 70's and use todays new stuff. Like The new bladder tank. I had issues with the pipe size though. I had a heck of a time making a brass fitting go into the pipe. And I used otica clamps for the rings. I am not sure where a guy can get those plastic hose ends.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:43:36 PM by CraigK » Logged
shum
PUXaholic

Real trucks have NO spark plugs!

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:58 AM »

Do you mean the PEX connectors?

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 4x4 CC PSD Ford
2007 KZ Outdooorsman 2505 QSS-F TravTlr Green
shum
SwingingBonnie DW
DS & DD
"don't panic"  Douglas Adams