July 31, 2014, 05:41:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Key for Jayco door lock  (Read 4052 times)
gentlegiant614
Wheel Chocker

« on: December 12, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »

Question I have a Jayco pop up I got a few weeks ago that seems not to have keys (unless very well hidden), the people I bought it from said they didn't know there were any. Anyway the door lock is stamped A116, can anybody help to get a copy for this? I imagine if I look around I can come up with a 571 key for the side access panels some where since I believe those are fairly universal, but don't know about the door lock. Also I noticed a crack in the plastic rear box cover above the tail light (wish I had noticed it b4) has been caulked with clear silicone. Should I put some of that white rubber backed roof tape on it or not really an issue? Thanks
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 10:18:03 PM by gentlegiant614 » Logged
austinado16
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »

Just take the lock assembly to your local locksmith and have keys made for it.

Repair the cracked with something like VLP or clear Lexal.
gentlegiant614
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:10:10 PM »

Thanks I've thought of that & may do it but maybe I should've mentioned that while I'm handy at quite a few things  I also have a short list of "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" jobs & locks are on that list although I have done some lock projects successfully.
austinado16
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 06:34:47 PM »

There should be a couple of philips head screws on the interior side of the door.  Remove these, and the entire outer door knob and metal trim plate will just pull right out of the door as an assembly.

Take that whole thing over to a locksmith and they pop it apart, read the key code, and cut a key. 

Dead easy.

Never show your fear to a repair.  Repeat this mantra;  "Who's smarter.  Me.....or this @#$%^&#% thing."
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 06:38:44 PM »

My PU came without a key. After an incident with a brick wall I replace the door latch with an almost identical one from home depot. I now have keys.

gentlegiant614
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »

Ok! Thanks for the advice from both of you & that sounds simple enough. By the way if I get mad enough to do that mine are usually like @#!^**?$%!!!!@@***&^%#@!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:22:44 PM by gentlegiant614 » Logged
4campers+g-kids
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »

Having replaced two door locks in the past two years (stock ones) I finally went to a screen door handle. They make locksets for inside the screen door handle with keys that are not so standard around the campground. Otherwise a lockset for a camper door is less than $20 and can be found on eBay pretty easy, new keys included!

4campers+g-kids
Tim & Donna  -  Cincinnati, OH
Just us 2 now, and when the g-kids come along
2004 Chevy Blazer 4X4
1994 Dutchmen 1002XS - original owners
*2014- Happy 20th Birthday!*
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: