October 02, 2014, 12:23:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: full hook up toilet  (Read 9446 times)
renfer5
Kindlin' Collector

« on: December 01, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

Have a new flagstaff with the shower/ toilet combo.  would love to have the toilet converted to a full hook up rather than the cartridge.  Has anyone done this?
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:28:15 AM »

No RV toilet is intended to waste directly into a sewer inlet but always into a waste tank of some sort ... in your case that's the waste water cassette, in the case of a flush toilet it's a black water waste tank that ia often mounted under the floor of the trailer but in some cases may be mounted above the floor and also serve as a base for the toilet.  Given this, what you'd really want to do then is figure out a way of providing a waste outlet on your cassette toilet's waste tank ... the question though is WHY?, considering that emptying that waste cassette couldn't be simpler ... just pull it out and take it to the dump station.  Consider this also ... if anything, your camper with it's a cassette toilet has a significant advantage over a model like the Coleman Niagara high wall popup that has a flush toilet that feeds into a meagre 9 gal waste tank, which once full, renders the toilet useless until such time as that tank can be emptied.  If the camper is on a full service site then obviously that's not an issue but on any site without sewer service it can be a real problem as it means the contents of that small BW tank has to be off loaded to a portable container OR the trailer itself has to be dragged to the dump station.  My advice ... leave well enough alone and enjoy the fact you can easily service that cassette toilet you have anytime you want.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
amn385
Handle Cranker

Carpinteria State Beach, near Santa Barbara

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 07:56:57 AM »

I agree.  We have the flushable toilet with the meager 9 ga. BW tank.  The only advantage this has over the cassette is at "full" hookup sites which allows us to use the toilet as much as we want without worrying about it getting full before the end of the camping trip.  We can dump and rinse the BW tank at the site without having to wait in line at the dump station at the end of the trip.  This type of camping is rare to us though.  In fact many of the campgrounds along the california coast do not have dump stations or they have been removed (Refugio, El Capitan).  When that is the case, I surely wish I had the cassette toilet to simply slide it out and walk it to the CG toilet when it is full.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia
2010 Toyota Sequoia
TrailManorMan
Chocks-a-lot

Northeast OHIO

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:21:12 AM »

PopUp Green Consider ordering a second dump tank,I now go to the dump station less but with 2 tanks, sometimes that lasts a week as I sit full tank, (completely seals) under unit until second is full and make less trips.
Tank is clean and no odor when removed so hasn't been a problem.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 08:22:16 AM by highside pup lover » Logged

Ron  goes by (Skip) and Linda
2012 Traverse   TrailManor 2720
Camping for forty three years plus
Last year 38 nights  2013
41 nights so far,
The Becks
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:54:21 AM »

DITTO, "leave well enough alone"

I have the flush toilet with sewer hookup.  It still has to have chemicals in the tank and the chemicals have to be replaced each time it is dumped.  Also, to clean the tank a hose has to be dragged all the way into the trailer.
I don't mind the extra work of the flush toilet (any day camping is a good day), but I would not replace a cassette toilet with one.

2008 Fleetwood Saratoga
1000 lb Weight Distributing hitch
Friction sway bar
2006 Saturn VUE

"The only thing in Creation that is constant, is change."
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »

Our TrailManor has a "recirculating toilet". I have been toying for some time with the idea of installing a holding tank and regular RV flush toilet. However, as mentioned, the holding tank would need to be a minimum of 20G IMO. Even then I met be faced with having to dump at some point on a long trip with no hook-us.

I have come to the conclusion that a "Cassette toilet" (like you have) may be the best over-all set-up for us. However, we mostly dry camp. If you mostly camp with hook-ups, your requirements may differ.

If you live in SoCal, I would gladly install an RV toilet in your camper in exchange for your Cassette (if it will fir my TrailManor).

BTW.......You would not have to have a holding tank if you are only using full hook-ups (although it would be preferable). Your toilet could simply flush directly through your hose, into the CG sewer. If you would like to have a couple gallons of storage (around 8 flushes), a short piece of 6" PVC pipe could be used.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
ScoobyDoo
Parking Heckler

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:24:50 AM »

.......You would not have to have a holding tank if you are only using full hook-ups (although it would be preferable). Your toilet could simply flush directly through your hose, into the CG sewer.

NO NO NO At least let me know where your going to make that mess, I don't want to be anywhere around THAT clean-up. Even with full hook-up you don't want to leave the valve open on the black tank thinking stuff will go stright to the CG sewer.I guess if you put normal toilet (not RV) and were real careful with the slope of the hose it would work. The slope of sewer lines is critical, too flat, nothing moves, too steep, the water runs out and leaves the soilds. The inside of the hose is not as smooth as pipe, the ship probably would not float as smooth, and a RV unit doesn't dump near the water. The chimicals in the BW tank break up the stuff. Dump the black tank, then the gray water to flush the hose.

Me-49(year not age)
Her-53(me to)
FD Sadie-8
FD SiSi-5
FD Maggie-5
FS-Luke-18 Went to the campground in the sky on 7/20/09 while camping
'05 Ram 1500
'96 Starcraft
BriBri
Handle Cranker

New England

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:07:02 PM »

On my Jayco 1206, I have the cassette toilet and was also wondering about the possibility of somehow installing a black-water tank.  But then, as has already been expressed by others, I figured "why bother", when it is easier to simply roll the cassette to the appropriate dumping location.  Another K.I.S.S. situation.

Take your child to the outdoors.....they will be better for it.

>Me: Brian('71)....DW: Amy('74)....DD: Cathryn('04)

>2012 Toyota Tundra DoubleCab 4X4
>2010 Jayco J-Series 1206 
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:35:39 PM »

NO NO NO At least let me know where your going to make that mess, I don't want to be anywhere around THAT clean-up.

UUUUUUGH Me tends to think that you may tend to exaggerate just a tad......What "Mess"....what "Clean-up"?

If one were to use a RV toilet with no holding tank, it would have to be plumbed through a gate-valve along with the grey water tank and the appropriate plumbing and fittings would need to be used. The hose from the gate valve to the sewer connection would certainly need to be managed so that there would be a minimum of puddling (thus smell) and care would need to be used to keep the hose flushed.

I would guess that a LOT of Rvers in CGs leave their sewer connection open while using full hook-ups and not use their holding tank. I'm not saying that it's the best way to manage one's sewage....... I'm just saying that a lot of people do it. I don't see all the "Mess" and "Clean-up" that you describe.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 02:26:38 AM »

I would guess that a LOT of Rvers in CGs leave their sewer connection open while using full hook-ups and not use their holding tank. I'm not saying that it's the best way to manage one's sewage....... I'm just saying that a lot of people do it.

Look long enough and you're sure to find someone dumb enough to try just about anything, including leaving a trailer's sewer's waste gates open when connected to an on-site sewer inlet, but let's hope your assumption is incorrect and that not "a lot of people do it".  Let those waste gates sit open and despite any traps that may be in the system chances are really good that sewer gas will work it's way back up through the system and into the camper. Dead Dead  With the black tank liquid being allowed to just drain away solids will build up in the tank and further exacerbate the smell issue ... rather, the solution is to keep the black tank well filled with liquid and not empty it until it's nearly full, then use the accumulated grey water to further flush the system.  And as we've already discussed, modifying a perfectly good cassette toilet to drain directly into a campsite sewer inlet makes no sense either.

Oz Mods Gallery

Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 02:48:12 AM »

On my Jayco 1206, I have the cassette toilet and was also wondering about the possibility of somehow installing a black-water tank.

Your cassette toilet already has a black water tank, the removable waste cassette, so why would you want to duplicate what you already have?  If anything, a removable waste cassette is far simpler and easier to deal with than having to dump and flush a permanently mounted black water tank, no matter what size it may be.  A classic example is the meagre 9 gal black water holding tank used in many of the Fleetwood Highlander series campers that serves double duty as the base for the flush toilet ... when it's full, it's full and the toilet is rendered useless until that tank can somehow be emptied.  If you're not camping on a full service campsite that means off loading into a portable container or dragging the camper itself to the dump station, neither of which is anywhere near as convenient as simply pulling a cassette toilet's waste tank out and taking it to the dump station.  You've got a time proven cassette toilet ... leave it alone and Be Happy! Tongue

Oz Mods Gallery

BriBri
Handle Cranker

New England

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »

On my Jayco 1206, I have the cassette toilet and was also wondering about the possibility of somehow installing a black-water tank.

Your cassette toilet already has a black water tank, the removable waste cassette, so why would you want to duplicate what you already have? 

I had been thinking of adding a larger-size tank.  The cassette tank holds only 19 liters (~5 gallons), and I was trying to think of the benefits of adding a 15+ gallon tank (i.e. secured beneath the camper).  For example, if I ever dry camped for a week or two.  However, from PUX and other online forums, I found out that it takes quite a few bathroom breaks to fill up even a 19-liter tank.  So, I am sticking with the cassette.

Malena
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »

Could you just get a spare cassette for a cassette potty?

(Might still want to store the filled one outside the camper though.... Dead )
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »

Your cassette toilet already has a black water tank, the removable waste cassette, so why would you want to duplicate what you already have? 

I had been thinking of adding a larger-size tank.  The cassette tank holds only 19 liters (~5 gallons), and I was trying to think of the benefits of adding a 15+ gallon tank (i.e. secured beneath the camper).  For example, if I ever dry camped for a week or two.  However, from PUX and other online forums, I found out that it takes quite a few bathroom breaks to fill up even a 19-liter tank.  So, I am sticking with the cassette.

When we owned our Santa Fe popup I modified it so we could use and store a Thetford 585 electric flush porta potti in the camper.  It had a ~ 5 gal waste tank as well and our family of four could easily get through a normal weekend of camping without me having to give any thought at all as to how full the waste tank may have been even though we used it all the time and never used the campground bath house facilities.  On a three night long weekend I would have to make sure to check on the third morning to make sure the tank still wasn't totally full and most times that was the case so I'd just leave it like that for the trip home and empty / service the waste tank at home.  From your SIG it looks like your family consists of 2 adults and 1 child, in which case I'd suspect you'd get at least four days of use before you'd have to be concerned about emptying the waste tank.  For stays longer than that where you may not be able to empty that waste tank then the idea of having a second spare tank on hand sounds like a viable solution to me.

Oz Mods Gallery

BriBri
Handle Cranker

New England

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 12:58:30 PM »

From your SIG it looks like your family consists of 2 adults and 1 child, in which case I'd suspect you'd get at least four days of use before you'd have to be concerned about emptying the waste tank.  For stays longer than that where you may not be able to empty that waste tank then the idea of having a second spare tank on hand sounds like a viable solution to me.

Excellent suggestion.  I will consider a second/spare tank.  The 1206's cassette toilet is the Thetford C402C, and I know you can buy replacement holding tanks (although I have had difficulty finding suppliers online, and getting through to Thetford customer service is like waiting for hell to freeze over).

Aaahhhh....the joys of PUP ownership. Big Smile

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: