Well ok, here are some pictures. This is definitely the "low tech" approach.
Here's where we started:
This is what the inside looked like, basically a 3/8" square frame with a 1/4" plywood skin
Replace with solid plywood and skin inside with wood grained contact paper
With a new bottom frame and additional plastic sweep/rain guard
I just used a plastic J-channel on the bottom....close enough to pass visual inspection
Thanks for all your help everyone.
What I like about this forum is that you can ask questions and people don't make you feel stupid for not knowing the answers. Believe me, that is not true elsewhere in cyberspace.