October 24, 2014, 05:27:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 wheeler attached to camper?  (Read 13199 times)
MikeAndDonna
Wheel Chocker

« on: September 17, 2010, 05:17:38 AM »

Hello friends, my husband and I will be getting a pop up camper from his brother soon,,as of now its in his brothers barn in Indiana(we are in Ohio),,but neither the less,,we will be camping soon! I know its is in need of some cosmetic work,,curtains ripped,,screen has sme holes etc..but we are fine with making it our own!And free to boot,,you cant beat that!
Anyway,,we have 2 4wheelers to take out,,but only one can fit in the back of our truck.We had planned on buying a toy hauler but when the pop up came available for free,,we jumped on it!

My question is,,you know those  little bike attachments for the back of cars,,they have them for regular 2 wheel bikes and for wheelchairs etc.They have them for 4wheelers too (atvs).Do you think you can attach one of them to the back of a popup camper for traveling?This way we could take both atvs with us camping.
Thanks for your input,,Im glad I found this site!  Smiley
gijoecam
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:11 AM »

Not a chance.  A 600lb (or more) four wheeler plus the rack to carry it hanging off the back of a popup would result in a VERY improperly loaded trailer.  It would undoubtedly have a negative tongue weight (i.e. the back of the truck would be holding the tongue down) which is a guaranteed way to create a dangerous amount of trailer sway.  It's the perfect setup for trailer instability.

On the plus side, since you got the camper for free, you might consider removing the axle and mounting it to an open flatbed trailer which is capable of hauling the camper plus the four wheelers.  I've seen several examples of this being done, some with more success than others since trailer balance is difficult to achieve.  (Place the camper too far back and it sways when the four wheelers aren't aboard, too far forward and it's too much tongue weight with the four wheelers aboard)

There are popups designed for just such a situation, but adapting the one you have isn't going to be easy or cheap.

'03.5 Coleman Monterey  2004 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y, '00 Ford F-150 4x4

Gallery here

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
skipro
Back-er-in-er

Sevierville, TN

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:53 AM »

I don't believe that there is any way you can do that.  PUPs frames are not strong enough to hold the weight, and even if they could, it would take all the weight away from the front of the camper that it would be difficult to tow.  I wouldn't do it.

2013 Trail Lite 200S
2002 Coleman Bayside - Loved the room, hated the roof.
2013 Ford Expedition
1988 Coleman Chesapeak gave us 14 good years
jeff1890
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:38:15 AM »

I personally wouldn't do that. You didn't give any info on what type of pup you are getting but most pup bumpers can't take that kind of wieght. Not only the bumper but the added weight in gereral I think would be to much. While the dry weight(camper with no extras added) of pups have a wide range. Most can only carry an extra 500 to 1500 lbs.(I know that someone will chime in and say they can haul more but without knowing what type op pup I'm only making a generalization). I would assume that once you added the 4wheeler and gear you would be easy over the weights.

Jeff, Fran and 5 kiddos   USA Pennsylvania
1984 Coleman Shenandoah   PopUp Gold
That I got for 50 bucks  Big Smile
and I restored in 2008
1998 Ford Ford  Expedition  SUV Black 
New to the fleet
2012 Ford Ford Mustang Convertable
I learn as I go
There are no stupid questions. Only stupid people who don't ask the question.
robbrouse
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »

Good morning. I don't have time to dig for it but I have seen a platform that some people add to their trucks and both ATV could ride there. Might be hard to get the ATV up rail high on the truck but I see them all the time it Utah and you still have some storage under the ATV's.

That would be my advice. Assuming the tuck you are using is  a full size truck would want to do it on a Ranger or a frontier type truck.

Robb
Utah
work2camp
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 07:17:57 AM »

^^^^Ditto^^^ Haven't personally used them but have seen them used and they are sweet. You can put 2 four wheels on the rack which rests on the bed rails of the truck and still have storage underneath on the floor of the truck bed. I have never seen the 4 wheelers being loaded or unloaded so I am not sure how that is achieved but the setup itself looks nice. Perhaps this is something that you could check into and do an internet search for.
Catdaddyxx
Handle Cranker

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »

One example of what I think you're thinking about is Diamondback Truck Covers. http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/
I seriously considered getting one for myself a while back.  The major problem is the price.
It's it's astronomical.  I bought a brand new 16' utility trailer for the same price as a diamondback, and that doesn't include install.

What kind of truck is your TV and how heavy is the tounge weight of your pup?
That'll all play a factor.  A 1/2 ton truck should be able to handle a daimondback with two quads and a pup attached.  But will probably need a helper spring or air ride bag to keep the ride level.
A 3/4 ton of larger should have no trouble.
Also take into account the size of your bed.  A short ford supercrew bed wouldn't hold two since it's only 5.5' long.
Might also take into account the size of the quads.  a 300 sport quad and a 700 utility quad have a huge weight difference.  My older 400 4x4 sportsman weighs in at about 750 pounds while my wifes 330 trailboss weighs in at 600 pounds.  I'd think that a lightweight sport quad would be a good deal lighter.

Perhaps a hitch extender if you couldload one quad on it's back bumper and one flat out to the tailgate.

ok, I'll stop rambling.

PopUp Green    TravTrl Long Green Pickup Green Ford
2010 29' Jayco, JayFlight 26BH
Tow Vehicle: 2004 Ford 150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L V8 3.73 gears, tuned, FIPK, Piped.

1960 Montgomery Ward Pop-Up (Restoration Link)
http://rvitch.com/forum/index.php?topic=80322.0
ballard
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 03:57:35 PM »

You need to get a trailer frame like this:

Then take your pup like this:

And mount it on the trailer frame so you have this:

Or you could do this:

So you have this:

and then you take a welder and add this:

and you will then have this:

Here's another similar build but better in many regards:

You will just need to be sure your popup trailer axle/suspension/wheels/tires are up for the task.
MikeAndDonna
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 05:43:44 PM »

Thank you for all the answers,,,Im gonna take it as a NO,,for mounting the bike hauler,,Thanks for all the tips and points,,also for the ideas for diamond back haulers and the new frame.Everything looks great!
Indiana Camper
Handle Cranker

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:55:01 PM »

Again, depending on many vehicle factors you could possible look at having a receiver installed on the front of the truck.  I've seen racks with coolers, generators, bikes, or dirtbikes.  I don't know if they make one big enough for you atv.  It may be worth looking into.

06 Fleetwood Evolution E2
02 2500 Chev. Avalanche 8.1 with Prodigy
Ger1550
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 08:26:32 PM »

Hello,
I had your same problem. I purchased a 20' open trailer and put my pop-up kinda in the middle. I can put both LARGE atv's (one on the front and one on the back) Additionally their is enough room for coolers, portable potty, chairs, tables and much more. When I did this it created a space under the pop-up. This space is now used for my 40gal water tank, water heater and pump. Now I do not have to rely on any others to tow my atv's when we go out. I do have pics let me know if you would like them posted.
JPNCA
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 02:34:19 PM »

I want to see them
bigblue
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:25:12 AM »

NO!

Larry
Cindy
2006 GMC Sierra Extended cab GMC
2003 Palomino Yearling RL   PopUp Blue Pickup White

Georgia Official Keeper Of The Flame Georgia
Packman
Back-er-in-er

Milwaukee, Wi

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:43:18 AM »

Yeah, that's an absolutely "no way, no can do".  The frames are not strong enough.  Even if they were, the tires would be way overloaded.    Even if you could change the tires, towing it would never work.  the hitch would be a negative weight  instead of a positive downward force of 200-300 pounds a typical hitch is on a pop up.  Even if you could corrrect that problem, any slight moverment, ie., a quick lane change ,for instance, and they trailer would be swinging very dramatically because of all the dead weight hanging on the very back of the trailer would have the driver hanging on for dear life trying to regain control of the vehicle.

I give you credit for trying to be creative in a solution, but that is one that just won't work.

Sorry.

Scott

Scott
DD- Morgan
Draco - German Shephard and Therapy Dog

2004 Ford Explorer V6
2003.5 Coleman Bayside
TrappedinKS
Handle Cranker

Central Kansas

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 09:55:20 AM »

Driving yesterday I saw a Ford Excursion pulling about a 30' to 35' travel trailer with a 4 wheeler on back on some kind of rack.  This was not a good combination, since I saw this setup in the ditch jack-kniffed with the trailer perpindicular to the road.  The back window and I believe a side window was busted out.  My assumption is that it started swaying out of control and unfortunately they ended up in the ditch. 

PopUp Grey  Van Red  USA
'93 Palomino Filly
'95 Ford E-150 Conversion Van
Chris '80 Missouri   Stephanie (DW) '71 Kansas
(DS) '09 Kansas
Mabel (black lab) '99 RIP 4/2012
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: