October 01, 2014, 04:13:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to convert a popup to a hardside? Anyone ever done it?  (Read 7777 times)
quadrajet4x4
Wheel Chocker

« on: August 20, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »

Hi folks,
The wife and I bought a used popup on the cheap earlier this year. It's our first experience with one and although its a HUGE improvement over tent camping, it's about due for a canvas replacement which is obviously why we were able to pick it up without breaking the bank.

It seems like full canvas replacements run right around $800. Admittedly, that's something I should have researched before making the purchase since I think thats a little high. Before we make that kind of investment, I'm wondering if we're better off heading to Home Depot to buy some materials to fabricate it into a hardside? I know that may sound crazy, but we really wanted a hardside to begin with - just couldn't find one in our price range.
KristinU
Back-er-in-er

Connecticut

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 04:26:43 AM »

Having considered building a teardrop trailer before buying our Aliner, I'd say it could theoretically be done, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be a whole lot cheaper than replacing canvas once you added in some windows and door hardware, waterproofing, etc.  And I would think that weight is going to be a major factor if you try to do it with plywood or the like.  But interesting thought!  I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

ETA: did a little Google poking and came across this: http://greensboro.craigslist.org/rvs/1903592606.html  So yes, it can be done.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:33:41 AM by KristinU » Logged

Cheers!
Kristin

2012 Gulf Stream Visa 23BHD TravTlr Black
2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax  Pickup Red
My camping party: me ('71), DH ('70), DS ('04), baby DK9 ('11)
Nights Camped:
2012: 32
2011: 40 (hooray, broke the 21 night streak - almost doubled it!)
2010: 21 (no, not a typo!)
2009: 21
2008: 21
www.visaadventures.blogspot.com
www.alineradventures.blogspot.com
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 07:13:02 AM »

Yikes!

~No means of escape in case of fire.
~Hardly any windows for ventilation and light.
~No insulation.~
~Loads of wind resistance while towing.

NO THANKS!

If the rest of the trailer is in good shape and you like the layout and everything works, I'd say get the new canvas.  Use it this year as is and save up to get the canvas in the spring, if money is tight at the moment.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
Malena
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:51:41 AM »

Folding hardsides aren't that much more durable than canvas--people with the old hardside Apaches sometimes replace some of the hard bits with canvas. The grass is always greener...

(Psst--just get an Apache  Smile )

Or did you want something that wouldn't have to fold?
miataman
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »

whoa!  I thought of a 'hardside' that still popped is what you were interested in. 
- you cannot tow a permanent hardside - no structural integrity on that CL link!
crazytrain
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:08:37 PM »

found this today made by Fleetwood looks pretty cool but it still has to be popped up and down for travel. 
 http://www.fleetwoodrvsource.com/rvinventory_item.asp?id=674287 Cheesy

IT'S ALL FUN AND GAMES UNTIL SOMEONE CALLS THE COPS!

Ryan

TV: 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan
PU: NTU 1996 Coleman Cheyanne

DH (me) Ryan 34
DW Amanda 35
DS Kade 6
DD Paige 3
DS Cole 2
Kavoom
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »

That Fleetwood would be nice for empty nesters.  Losing the bed ends might be a deal breaker for many.  Quite nice if you don't need the beds. 

Kavoom
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: