July 26, 2014, 01:07:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Almost 2 months Smoke Free  (Read 3791 times)
ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« on: July 26, 2010, 06:54:12 PM »

So on Wednesday I will be two months smoke free.

I started using the patch (step 2) to which I called "the happy patch".  I was on such a level amount of the nic that I was always in a good move.  I was on that for six weeks, then moved down to step three.  That darn little patch did NOTHING and even kept falling off but I kept with it for about two weeks or so and now I have no patch.  A happy patch was much better than no patch at all.

I have gained a bunch of weight that I am not very happy about and DH didn't end up quiting with me, which totally sucks big time.

Tonight I am sitting here thinking "I could have that ice cream sandwich or a smoke".  Two evils, just which one do I want more?  I think the ice cream will win.  It's much yummier!! 

Burlington, Ontario
2010 Spree 310RLS behind a 2013 F150 Ecoboost XLT/XTR
Me  Canada :'77
DH  UK :'69
Dog #1: Tonka (Male, American Cocker & Dog) #2: Gizmo (Male, Shih Tzu), and Dog #3 Tilley (Female, American Cocker)
oreo57
Back-er-in-er

Southern , California

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:05:40 PM »

DONT GIVE UP. I've smoked for 30 years and would LOVE to stop. Tried patches, meds and all the doctor can offer but none seem to help, The DW quit and its all mental according to her. Keep going..
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:50:43 AM by Oreo57 » Logged

Mike
DW-Toni

2005 Fleetwood Colonial Cp  PopUp Blue modded
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Ext Cab modded
Yamaha EF2400IS
California  USA BEER!

Popup mods & Pic's
ForestCreature
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 07:24:03 PM »

Good for you!! Keep it up, you'll be better off in the end with no patch. It takes about a week for all the nicotine to leave your system, after that it's all mental.
I don't remember if it's been 3, 4 or 5 years that I quit. And yes, I gained weight too   Angry   I keep hoping someday it'll start dropping off. 

Marcy
2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS

2003 Fleetwood Wilderness 27 H
98 Aliner LXE   Chalet/Aliner

Our Pics
ilovecamping
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:54:43 PM »

Hang in there and don't give up.  I quit 4 months and 6 days ago.  It does get easier but I do not believe it is all mental.  I will just be doing something and this overwhelming urge for a cig comes over me.  It doesn't last long and I have learned to get busy so as to be distracted.  I didn't use anything, I just quit cold turkey.  I too have gained some weight which is hard on me because of my bad knees.  I will work on losing it when I feel I am stronger with the not smoking.  I wish you the best in your journey to become smoke free.

Donna & Tom
2 DD's, 1 DS, 4 DGC, 3 DGDog
2000 Suburban LT 1500 4X4
2011 Shamrock 23ss

2006 ngts camped-65
2007 ngts camped-64
2008 ngts camped-63
2009 ngts camped-14
2010 ngts camped-21
2011 ngts camped-14
http://community.webshots.com/user/ilovecamping1?vhost=community
TooManyTents
Parking Heckler

Willamette Valley, Oregon

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 08:12:25 PM »

Good for you ElizabethAnn - keep up the good work!

Dave Oregon - 1999 Coleman Cheyenne   2003.5 Coleman Utah  PopUp Grey  Pickup White ---->  2011 Ever-Lite 27RB TravTrl Long Green  Pickup White
austinado16
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:09 PM »

GOOD FOR YOU!!!  Come back here every time you need support. We'll give it to you.

Nicotine is more addictive than Heroine, so you (all) are up against a monster.  All I can say is that it takes a tremendous amount of courage and mental strength to quit, thumbs up for doing it.

My suggestion would be to add in some sort of outdoor excersize, whether it's walking, riding a bike, swimming, or anything else.  Excersize makes the brain release endorphins, which are your naturally produced "feel good" chemicals.  The more of those you can produce, the less the brain will be looking for a "fix" from nicotine.  It'll also help with the weight gain by not only burning some of the extra calories you're taking in, but by building muscle in place of fat, and raising your metabolism naturally (another thing your body's been allowing nicotine to do for it).

3,500 extra calories is a pound of stored fat on a human body.  So think in terms of what you're taking in, and the value of the kind of calories you're getting.  Alcohol is a big fat producer, so are low fiber "breads/carbs/starches" like non-whole wheat bread, noodles and rice, potatoes and pototatoe chips, corn and everything made with corn and corn derivatives (corn syrup is in everything just about).  So read labels, and slowly cut back, while bringing in some excersize, and you'll probably find you can start losing a half to a whole pound a week without "suffering" really.  Do that for a year, and that's a solid 50lbs you've taken off.  Make it a life style and you're talking some significant weight loss over a 1-3 year period.  Not to mention where you'll be from excersize....even if it's just walking.

Also, set some goals and do something fun with the $$ you're not using on smoking.  How 'bout a cool vacation somewhere in 12mos?  Hawaii?  The Virgin Islands?
uploon
Back-er-in-er

Northern Chicago Suburbs, but a Milw Brewers Fan!

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:56:13 PM »

Hang in there!!  Yep it's hard quitting, but you'll be so much happier.  As far as the weight, I put on 30# in an instant.  However, my Dr said it's better to be a bit overweight than to smoke. 

The urges decrease in frequency and duration.

Welcome to the ex smokers club!

JC

JC September 11 BEER! Illinois
Becky September 11 Martini Iowa
& the 3 Cats (non-campers)

1970 Camel-long retired- but still used by another Smile
1999 Coleman Santa Fe- Retired
2004 Fleetwood UtahCP--[popgreen]
2005 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab-for all the stuff Chevrolet
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 04:32:07 AM »

Good for you!

Be careful about the weight gain.  Don't trade one life-threatening problem for another.  If you need something to do with your hands and mouth, try keeping a non-caloric drink with you at all times so you can sip through a straw.  Ice water with a wedge of lemon is a nice choice.  There are many, many benefits to drinking water, which most of us do not get enough of.

I've read that the weight gain from quitting smoking and the decrease in metabolism is usually around ten pounds.  The rest is bad habits, so be careful about establishing bad habits you'll just have to try to break later.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
austinado16
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 07:42:19 AM »

Drinking water is HUGE!  Try drinking an entire gallon a day, and see if you don't actually start feeling better overall.  It's one of the biggest "missed" things in most of our lives.
z_randy
Chocks-a-lot

NJ

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 07:46:09 AM »

Congrats! 

1996 Coleman Bayport
ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »

Thanks everyone.

So last night I picked going to be over having another ice cream bar.  There is no calerios in sleeping.

I have had the worst craving for chocolate since I quite, but that might jut be my mind picking one bad habit over another (like some one said above).  But once we get back to camping, and this humidity goes away I will be alot more active and I think that will help a lot with the weight gain (the stress of selling a house isn't helping much either).

Burlington, Ontario
Dog #1: Tonka (Male, American Cocker & Dog) #2: Gizmo (Male, Shih Tzu), and Dog #3 Tilley (Female, American Cocker)
acenorm
Chocks-a-lot

Shamong, NJ

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 10:49:09 AM »

Smoked for 20 years, went on the patch and did it correctly, and have been smoke free for 4 years this month. It was tough in the beginning, but now I don't even miss it.

Good Luck!

Norm

2014 Jayco X23F, 2013 GMC Yukon XL
Hybrid Blue SUV BlackGMC
 USA New Jersey
BirdLand
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 11:41:41 AM »

Congratulations  Big Smile

I've been smoke-free for about 13 years now; it can be done though it takes a lot of hard work.  Just remember "don't quit quitting" and that nobody is ever sorry that they quit smoking.

I gained weight (not only due to using food as a replacement for something to put in my mouth but I discovered that food tasted so much better), but don't let that deter your efforts; just concentrate on one thing at a time.  I also agree that starting some type of exercise (even if you only have 2 minutes (what you might have previously used for a smoke break) that's still time to run up & down some stairs, jumping jacks, hula hoop, etc. - the activity will make you feel better physically and mentally).

Hang in there; my prayers go out to everyone who's battling the cigarette addiction!

Me (1969), DH (1971), DS's (95 & 97)
'06 Fleetwood Sea Pine
'08 Dodge Durango
'11 Jeep Wrangler Sport
ElizabethAnn
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »

Congratulations  Big Smile

I also agree that starting some type of exercise (even if you only have 2 minutes (what you might have previously used for a smoke break) that's still time to run up & down some stairs, jumping jacks, hula hoop, etc. - the activity will make you feel better physically and mentally).

I have a Wii Fit that I would be using if my living room didn't have to look like no one lives in it (i hate this house selling hunting thing)... which also has made me eat out more.  Why dirty up the kitchen when I can just get take out.  Mind you I have tried to keep my take out choices a little on the healthier side, but that isn't always possible and nothing can compare to my home cooked meals.

I really wish my husband would have thought my idea to move into the trailer while the house was being shown was a good idea.  Personally I think it's a great idea.  Indian Line Conservation area is just five minutes north to where I work.  He should have thought about all the gas we would be saving ;)

Burlington, Ontario
austinado16
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »

Forget that Wii stuff.  Get out in the world and go for walk w/ your dogs at 6am.  They'll love you to death for it!!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: