July 23, 2014, 02:10:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: what's your method for PERCOLATING coffee?  (Read 18531 times)
Old Granddad
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »

I love coffee, but it no longer loves me back.  Too hard on my innards.  Perked coffee is much worse in that regard.  Wife likes her foo-foo coffee and will lose no opportunity to stop at Starbucks or similar, makes her own at home.  My daughters, who are both coffee (and beer) snobs and in their 30s, are shocked, shocked I tell you!, that the Old Man, when he does attempt coffee, uses grounds from (gasp!) a can, say Yuban or Folgers or some such.  Decaf, of course, so my old ticker does not run off at full tilt.  Pure Kona is easier on the tummy but _way_ too expensive.

Gettin' old is the pits.  It's not for sissies.  Nor, I guess, for old grouches, either.

PopUp Cyan  Pickup Grey

Old Granddad
Salem, Oregon

'06 Nissan Frontier V6
'08 Fleetwood Sun Valley
('89 Coleman Chesapeake, gone, but not forgotten)
(??") Apache Mesa (canvas), good riddance
blw2
Back-er-in-er

Jacksonville, FL

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »

I used to percolate with a little camp pot, but it was always getting cold, then bitter with the re-heats.

When DW bought one of those fancy Keurig machines at home, I retired my drip pot (with thermos carafe and no warming element) to the PUP.  I'm spoiled by Keurig now, and can't seem to get it right with the dripper any more.

On our last Cub Scout trip, one of the leaders brought along a Keurig for the group to use.  Nice!

Another leader had some Starbucks VIA packets, and let me try one.  It was surprisingly good.  Not as good as fresh brewed and filtered I would say..... but surprisingly good.  Would be great for backpacking (which is why he had it) but I'm considering stocking the pup with them.

Brad
DW Julie
DS, '05
DD, '08
DD, '11
13 Thor Chateau 31L Class C
'06 Silverado
'05 Rockwood Freedom 1910 (5-1/2 years)
former tent campers
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 01:11:58 PM »

I'm the only coffee drinker in the house. For me Melita's the only way to go. And it packs small since you only need the funnel & filters. Make it by the cup myself.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
Tenttrailer
Parking Heckler

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »

I grew up on percolatated coffee and when mr coffee came out with elec drip, i never like perclatated after that.  From what I read its 212 degrees F (boiling) is to hot to brew coffee, it flushes the acid out of the beans or burns it, which boiling water is what makes the percolating.  We use to use a pinch of salt in the coffee to take out the bitterness.  1tsp per cup.

A few years ago a friend made me coffee without a coffee maker. I think the process dates back to the 1800's and it was good.  Very strange method:  in any pan bring the water to a boil (212 degrees), let it sit for a few minutes to get to about 185 degrees, add your coffee and let it sit for a few minutes.  Now this is the strange part; add the white of a egg.  What takes place; the white of the egg settles and captures the coffee grounds but does not add any flavor.  Now pour your coffee without pouring any of the white of the egg.  It was very good and compared to drip or pressed coffee.

During the civil War, they used about the same method, but no white of the egg, which the bottom cups were very chewy.

Trailmanor pulling a Toyota Sienna

Art & Joyce - - Columbus, OH via MI, PA, NY, IN

Nights camped too many to count - - - Camped 31/50 states & Canada.
Lindz
Handle Cranker

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2012, 09:57:56 AM »

Old Grandad, you crack me up!   Kiss

I have put many hours into the "how to perk coffee" debate while teaching my husband how to make coffee.  It only took 10 years and 2 kids to get the man to drink it!  Now he loves it and we race each other to the pot in the morning.

While camping we carry a *gasp* Mr. Coffee drip machine.  And also an aluminum percolator found at an antique store in case of power failures or boredom.  We used to exclusively use the percolator but when camping with toddlers... coffee in a hurry is sort of a requirement for surviving.  At home I have an enamel percolator I use when I have time to really wait and watch for the coffee to get juuuuust right... and I use a filter. 

I've found a full tablespoon is a bit much for the hubby's taste, so we usually settle on 3 tbs to every 4 cups.  I brew 8 cups regardless of how many people are drinking.   Grin

Lindz, the camping boss mama
DH Chris
4 yr old DD
2 yr old DD
'04 Pilot pulling a '99 Rockwood
Camping with preschoolers puts the fun in dysfunctional!
thevoelkers
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »

We use to use a pinch of salt in the coffee to take out the bitterness.  1tsp per cup.

1 tsp per CUP? That would seem to make it coffee bouillon...

Hybrid Silver  Pickup GreyWisconsin

Jayco 1006 / Rockwood Roo 21S / 1998 Chevy Tahoe 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn Quad
lisanjoe
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2012, 09:10:50 PM »

Another leader had some Starbucks VIA packets, and let me try one.  It was surprisingly good.  Not as good as fresh brewed and filtered I would say..... but surprisingly good.  Would be great for backpacking (which is why he had it) but I'm considering stocking the pup with them.

I used to perc- it seemed like thats how you are supposed to drink coffee while camping. But I just got sick of it- too hot, too cold, bitter, not strong enough- always something Angry

I can't handle that in the morning, so either use a french press or the Starbucks VIA packets. I also keep them in the popup at all times.
colocamper
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 06:31:37 AM »

Yep the coleman does the job. 

gmhg41
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 12:14:03 PM »

My method for using a percolator.

Throw away the insides. Heat water in the pot. Remove from heat. Pour coffee into the hot water. Let it settle to the bottom of the pot. Pour through a filter if available.

South Carolina    PopUp Blue Pickup White  
'96 Coleman Niagara; '02 Ford Ranger
camper4ever
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 12:27:34 PM »

I use a Melita Drip (into a blue enamel coffee pot) and it works fantastic. I've used perculators in the past, but, found them to be a PITA. Although, I am currently having trouble finding #6 cone filters and may have find another method to make coffee.

Dave, ON  Canada GMC

2009 K1500 GMC 4x4 crewcab
E2 Trunnion (1,000/10,000) WDH
2012 Roo 23SS
jonesclarinet
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »

I use a Melita Drip (into a blue enamel coffee pot) and it works fantastic. I've used perculators in the past, but, found them to be a PITA. Although, I am currently having trouble finding #6 cone filters and may have find another method to make coffee.

Dave, ON  Canada GMC

Search amazon.com, they come right up.

Me and DH - '79
DD - '09
Coachmen Clipper Sport 128ST pulled by 2006 Jeep Commander
 PopUp Blue SUV White Jeep Massachusettes
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: