October 30, 2014, 10:47:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Leak: Sealing options for center strip?  (Read 3904 times)
Sock Puppet
Handle Cranker

« on: July 10, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »

The center seam is leaking on the roof of my '99 Jayco.  There is no damage to the wood or structure because it appears to have just started.  I would like to seal over the entire length of the center seam. 

I know some folks just remove the vinyl cover and fill it with silicone, but I'm not confident that will take care of it.  I would like to add 1/2" tall angle (aluminum, maybe?) along the full length about 5" on each side of the center strip, then fill the entire thing with some sort of rubber or sealant. 

Is this a reasonable thing to try?  What type of materials should I use?  I'm looking for any advice you guys have.

Tanks!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:45:37 AM by Sock Puppet » Logged
knobbyhead
Back-er-in-er

The Sea Shore NJ

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »

I used "eternabond tape" on  my center seam.  I believe it is 4 inches wide. I cleaned up the surface with a solution of esp and applied it.  It is very sticky so you need to take care when installing it.

It has been 5 years and it still looks good.   I am very happy that I used it.           

Bob

DW - Trish
1995 Jayco J1006
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Volvo 240

magicfish
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »

Did you have to put something on top of the eternabond?
TNCampingDad
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »

I would recommend using the eternabond tape or caulk both sides of the center seam using a polyuthene caulk.  I have a jayco and wanted to prevent any leaks, so i caulked all my seams with a polyuthene caulk that will never harden or shrink.  This caulk will last 50 years and UV proof! 

Tennessee

ME '74  Jolly Roger      
DW '78 Kisses       
DD '05 Big Smile    
DS '09 Shocked       
2002 Jayco Eagle Summit 12 SD  PopUp Green    
2008 Titan Nissan

nights camped in 2011: 5
austinado16
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »

I wouldn't eternabond it...because I don't think you need to get that whole-hog with it.

The center trim strip is bedded in putty tape.  You can leave it as-is, and just run a nice bead of caulk down each side of the trim.  Then remove and replace that center vinyl trim strip.
Sock Puppet
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »

I'll consider both options. I've had less than great results with caulking on roofs before, but maybe I need to use a better caulk.

Does anyone have a source for the Eternbond?

Thanks all!
4campers+g-kids
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »

EternaBond is great stuff. Put it on our '94 Dutchmen back in 2006 and still no leaks and it looks OK. IF you use it, take your time because there is no removing once it's stuck. Stretch it a bit to keep it smooth. Find it by doing a search for it, many places carry it and prices vary. Here is a video showing it's use:
http://www.truveo.com/RV-Roof-Repair-Vent-Maintenance/id/169912258

Otherwise you need to re-caulk your roof every two or three years. Even the good caulk breaks down fast in the elements despite the guarantee it's supposed to last 50 years.

4campers+g-kids
Tim & Donna  -  Cincinnati, OH
Just us 2 now, and when the g-kids come along
2004 Chevy Blazer 4X4
1994 Dutchmen 1002XS - original owners
*2014- Happy 20th Birthday!*
austinado16
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:32:30 PM »

I guess the other "key" to this equation is storage.  Don't store these campers outside, unprotected from the sun and rain.
Sock Puppet
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

I ordered the Eternabond.  I want to be sure it's sealed.  Thanks for all of the advice!  Any other tips on installation are appreciated.
goldslaugh
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »

I have a 97 jayco. I pulled up the center trim on the rear side of the roof, and there is a gap in the two sides, they do not everlap. Do i need to replace the putty under the trim or just clean, screw the trim back in and seal the trim on both sides?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: