October 25, 2014, 12:44:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ceiling lights and fan don't work on my 2007 Palomino Yearling 4100  (Read 4153 times)
JCBII
Handle Cranker

« on: July 03, 2010, 09:53:02 PM »

Finally got a chance to go on our first "real" campout using our Palomino Yearling Model 4100.  I took my wife & son up to Big Sur 3 weeks ago for a campout @ Big Sur Campground & Cabins.  It was a nicely run, but crowded campground.  Anyway, once we got everything set up, I tried to switch on the ceiling lights (there are two).  Neither would turn on.  I then tried to use the exhaust fan just to see if it would work.  Unfortunately it didn't.  So we ended up using a coleman lantern that we would bring into the trailer for light.  Disappointing considering that we have hardley used our popup since we bought it in 2007.

Before I take it someplace to have it fixed, I'd like to know if there is a simple fix.  Is there a fuse somewhere that I can check? 

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JCBII

austinado16
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 11:54:59 PM »

Some campers have safety switches either on the underside of the galley, or on the box.  They kill the power to the ceiling lights (and maybe vent fan in your case).  So check to see if you have such a switch, and if so, make sure it's not damaged, or out of adjustment.  You can remove the 2 wires connected to it, touch them together, and the ceiling stuff should work.....that'll help you rule out the switch. 

Otherwise, check your fuses (located near the battery, or maybe in a compartment in the converter box?).

If you're able to hit Big Sur, you might like it over an hour east of Fresno in Kings Canyon.  If you go down the back side of the mountain, into the actual canyon, you can camp in the Cedar Grove area at any one of 4 large CG's.  A couple of which are right alongside the Kings River!!  No reservations required, and there's always room.  No electric/water hook-ups, but the CG's all have very clean flush toilets, potable water spigots all over the CG, and showers are at the store/hotel about 1/3mi away.  Check the weather reports because it's 4,500' so it cools off at night.
threebeachboys
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:18:17 AM »

Before I take it someplace to have it fixed, I'd like to know if there is a simple fix.  Is there a fuse somewhere that I can check? 

There are sometimes plastic connectors at the base and the top of some of the lift arms.  These connectors can separate and/or a wire can pull out from one of the ends.  Also some campers have a "master switch", usually right inside the door that may need to be flipped "on" for the lights to work.

Pam

crazycampers
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 06:38:42 AM »

when ours does it we just "wiggle" the sink galley and that fixes it right up !!  the little switch between the two parts designed to turn off the power to the roof when it is lowered sometimes needs a helping hand to work ..lol  good luck !!

live life like there is no tomorrow because there might not be!!
JCBII
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »

when ours does it we just "wiggle" the sink galley and that fixes it right up !!  the little switch between the two parts designed to turn off the power to the roof when it is lowered sometimes needs a helping hand to work ..lol  good luck !!

Oh man, I hope it wasn't something that simple.  Wait a minute, maybe I do.   Smile

Anyway, thanks for that info.  After the 4th is over, I'll pull the trailer out of the garage, pop it up, and try wiggling the sink.

And to Pam and austinado16, thanks for the information.  I'll look for that "master switch" or fuse box when I open the popup next weekend.  I'll also check to see if any lines were pulled loose.  The only lines that I see running up to the roof are behind the sink.  They have a velcro flap over them to hide from view, and they basically run up from behind the sink to the ceiling.  I removed the flap and looked for anything pulled loose, but it all looked fine.  There is a fuse right at the battery, but it's ok.  I was told by the dealer to pull this fuse out when storing the popup so as not to run down the battery.

Also, thanks for the Kings Canyon info.  I currently have it opened on another tab in explorer.  Looks really nice, and if you're not elbow-to-elbow with other campers, that would be a plus.  The link to the campground we stayed at is below.  As far as cleanliness and customer service goes, the place was great.  You could walk into the showers almost anytime and they (along with the toilets) were spotless.  The employees there did a great job of making sure everything was cleaned often.  But when it comes to privacy, you just don't have it.  Too many spots too close together.  My family was lucky in that we got one of the spots that was fairly large.  If your intention is to go outside the campground and explore all the local areas, then it still might be what you are looking for.  Kinda pricey though.

http://www.bigsurcamp.com
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 11:34:53 AM by JCBII » Logged

miataman
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 08:23:40 AM »

I'm guessing it is this.  The Pal's 3M connectors are notorious for separating.  We had exactly the same thing happen on our 2004 Pal last year. It was a plastic connector located behind the converter box.  First thing, I would trace the wires from the roof back to behind the converter, and start checking those connectors.  You could replace them as you go, too.

There are sometimes plastic connectors at the base and the top of some of the lift arms.  These connectors can separate and/or a wire can pull out from one of the ends.  Also some campers have a "master switch", usually right inside the door that may need to be flipped "on" for the lights to work.

Pam
austinado16
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »

Also, thanks for the Kings Canyon info.  I currently have it opened on another tab in explorer.  Looks really nice, and if you're not elbow-to-elbow with other campers, that would be a plus. 

If you'd like to see more about both Kings, and Sequoia (basically 2 parks arranged like a figure 8 to each other with Kings to the north) go to the CA forum here:  http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?board=15.0  Scroll down and you'll see my recent thread from visiting Kings 2 weeks ago, and then a couple more listed as being about Sequoia, one of which has a link to a large (nice) photo album from a forum members visit in Apr/May.
wingdreamer
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »

I'm guessing it is this.  The Pal's 3M connectors are notorious for separating.  We had exactly the same thing happen on our 2004 Pal last year. It was a plastic connector located behind the converter box.  First thing, I would trace the wires from the roof back to behind the converter, and start checking those connectors.  You could replace them as you go, too.

Pam

I have a 2007 Palomino 4125 and as well, had the same thing happen as miataman. Go to where your inverter is located and you will see a pile of wires coming out of the back of it. All of them are attached to wiring with those damn ("should be outlawed as they are a fire hazard") Scotch type crimp connectors. I found one of mine, when wiggled, would allow the lights to come on, and could hear it arcing and sparking in the crimp when I wiggled it... did I say that these things should be outlawed?Huh??  Did a temp fix, then when I got home I removed every scotch connector at the inverter, and soldered and taped everything. No problem now for 2 years.  Also, as noted above, where the kitchen sink swings up , there is a small white pin switch used on the Palominos that will send power through to the lights when the sink is up and in place. The wiring under the  switch can come dislodged, and you wont have any 12 volt lights or fan if this happens. Depending on your model, you might have a lower cabinet that you can open up and look to the rear of it, where you may actually see the bottom of the switch and the wires that connect to it.  Let us know what the results are, but I'm putting my money where miataman did (scotch connectors at inverter)....... 

2007 Palomino Yearling Y4125
Me: 1959 model
wife: 1963 model
#1 son: 1991 model
#2 son 1992 Model
TV: 2004 Montana EXT
JCBII
Handle Cranker

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 10:28:43 AM »

Hey all.  It's been a year since I finally got a chance to revisit the problem with the lights not working on my Popup.   Just for the record, the post I made where I said I was going to pull the Popup out of the garage after the 4th of July (last year) to test some of your suggestions never happened.  Other things popped up (punn intended) and I never got the chance to look at our Palomino.

My wife wanted to camp out at San Clemente (I'll be posting a separate thread on this) this past weekend, so I figured it'd be the best time to work on the electrical problem noted in this thread.  We were lucky in that there was actually a spot available at San Clemente, and it was a full hook-up.  While I'd rather pass on the higher price of a hookup spot ($60 per night, btw), it was definitely a benefit for testing electrical issues.   After setting up the Popup, I tried the ceiling lights along with the light outside the trailer by the door.  Nothing worked.  However, after hooking up to the 30amp outlet, everything worked!   Last year while at Big Sur, the ceiling lights and fan did not work (darn, I don't remember if that outdoor light worked then) even though we had hooked up to a 30amp connection.  I know the 30amp connection worked, because our 110v outlets in the trailer worked.

So I guess there is a loose connection somewhere after all.  The lights/fan didn’t work in Big Sur, but now they worked this past weekend.  Guess I should replace all those “crimp type” connectors as suggested anyway.
With regard to the 12V battery, shouldn’t the lights & fan work when running off just the battery?  I’ve had the battery on a battery tender since we bought the trailer new, and the tender shows that it’s fully charged.   The battery is over 5 years old now, so how do you check to see if it’s still good?   Or would you just replace it due to the age?

austinado16
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »

Your new best friend is a digital voltage/ohm meter.  They're sold at Sears, and at automotive parts stores, and hardware stores.  Get one and start testing with it.  Your battery should show 12.6+ volts if it's fully charged.

To answer your question, the ceiling lights, porch light, and roof vent fan are powered by the 12 volt system.......so they either get power directly from the battery, or they get power coming through the convert, after the converter changes 110v a/c current into 12v DC current.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: