October 25, 2014, 01:08:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lights and Electrial Wiring inside 1996 Jayco Pop-Up  (Read 12041 times)
austinado16
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 08:12:46 PM »

Yes, you can use the "butt splice" connectors, or the "scotch locks."  I think the factories use the scotch locks becuase it allows you to undo the connection without cutting the wires...so you can take the tenting down without having to cut the wires shorter, re-strip the ends, and re-crimp them into a butt splice.  That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I don't know this for sure, but the safety switch probably just has one wire going "through" it.  So it's just "breaking" the ground wire, or the hot wire, but not both.  It probably does this inline, before the wires come up out of the box.  So the switch is upstream from the box wires and of course, the lights.
sferguson
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 04:24:20 AM »

Do you have a manual for your PU?

1996 Jayco Owner's Manual

Bottom of page 37
"All Jayco fold-down tent campers have interior light circuit directed through a master shut-off switch to prevent 12-volt current flow to the ceiling lights. Periodically test light and switch to be sure switch adjustment is correct. Switch is located along bottom edge of roof on left (road) side."

Does anyone have a picture of this "master shut-off switch"? My interior lights are not working, and I can't seem to find this switch anywhere. Please help!!

Thanks

1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB
1997 Ford Explorer
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 05:13:17 AM »

Bottom of page 37
"All Jayco fold-down tent campers have interior light circuit directed through a master shut-off switch to prevent 12-volt current flow to the ceiling lights. Periodically test light and switch to be sure switch adjustment is correct. Switch is located along bottom edge of roof on left (road) side."[/color]

Does anyone have a picture of this "master shut-off switch"? My interior lights are not working, and I can't seem to find this switch anywhere.

My 1998 Jayco Eagle 10UD had a pressure switch located near the top of the rear street side lift arm, outside the trailer, tucked up inside the roof ... when the roof was lowered to the travel position this switch would be forced open, thereby killing power to the ceiling lights.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
CamperMomof2
Handle Cranker

So many campgrounds, So little time

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 06:21:38 PM »

Well, here it is, a new camping season upon us.  I did not complete the repairs on my popup last summer and had to put it up for the winter.  The mice had a party, and my cats are fired.  I will set up a Mouse Swimming Pool next winter - great tip I saw on here.

I have the lights inside working - I hesitate to say "fixed" because I don't know if I did the repair correctly, but the lights come on.  I also have a really great porch light - clear lens and VERY BRIGHT!!  Now, my concern over my light repairs.  I reconnected the wires that I had found, which had been cut.  Plugged in the power, and there was light.  Fridge and AC work too - YEAH!!!  Momentary break for a happy dance at that point!  Reality set back in.  The cut-off switch that is just under the edge of the roof has no wire connected to it.  I guess I was supposed to do something to that, but missed that step.  So, here is my question.  Do I only need to worry about the lights being a safety issue if I have a battery on my camper, or will the lights still have power when the camper is hooked to my truck?  If the lights will still have power when the camper is hooked to my truck, I have to figure out what step I missed and redo that.

1996 Jayco Eagle 10
 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
Jennifer - Mom, U.S. Army Disabled Veteran, Teacher
DD Hailey - 17
DD Aimee - 9
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »

With the converter rocker switch in conv or off, neither the truck nor a battery would power the lights, that's for a properly wired PU with a manual switched converter.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:09:14 PM by rabird » Logged

CamperMomof2
Handle Cranker

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 07:12:56 PM »

Guess I better hook that PUPpy up to my truck and do some checking.   Grin

1996 Jayco Eagle 10
 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
DD Hailey - 17
DD Aimee - 9
bigfatbri
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 09:44:15 PM »

Do you have a manual for your PU?

Bottom of page 37
"All Jayco fold-down tent campers have interior light circuit directed through a master shut-off switch to prevent 12-volt current flow to the ceiling lights. Periodically test light and switch to be sure switch adjustment is correct. Switch is located along bottom edge of roof on left (road) side."

Does anyone have a picture of this "master shut-off switch"? My interior lights are not working, and I can't seem to find this switch anywhere. Please help!!

Thanks

Here's what it looks like on my 97:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/p04cXcvAlTup98JamOt2Og?feat=directlink

I couldn't figure out why my ceiling lights didn't work til I found this thread and pulled that little piece down with my finger. Thanks for the tips, folks.
My exterior light still won't come on - does anyone know if there is a trick to that one?
sferguson
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 04:16:19 AM »

Aha!!!!!!!!! Found the little bugger! It turns out on the Eagle 12KB, the switch is located on the road side above the center post. I sprayed it with some contact cleaner, and it works fine. I am thinking about bypassing the switch anyway so that this doesn't happen again, especially at a campgrounds. Thanks for all of the help everyone.

1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB
1997 Ford Explorer
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan
raycfe
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 05:21:42 AM »

You should not bypass it. Now that you know where it is, if you have a problem you know where to look. It keeps you from burning the canvas or starting a fire.
CamperMomof2
Handle Cranker

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »

I have not been able to figure out how to connect to the shut-off switch.  Looked through the manual, but did not find a diagram, or description, that really helped me.  If I do not connect to the shut-off switch, and being connected to my tow vehicle does provide power to the lights, having the switch turned to "off" on the circuit breaker should keep the power off to my inside lights, shouldn't it?  If that will work, then I can definitely remember to turn the circuit breaker switch to "off" every time.  Hmmm, pondering a thought as I type, if the PUP is connected to the tow vehicle, but I have the switch turned to "off" on the circuit breaker, will that also prevent power from getting to my tow lights?

Oh, why didn't I become an electrician......

1996 Jayco Eagle 10
 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
DD Hailey - 17
DD Aimee - 9
sferguson
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 04:20:07 AM »

I have not been able to figure out how to connect to the shut-off switch.  Looked through the manual, but did not find a diagram, or description, that really helped me.  If I do not connect to the shut-off switch, and being connected to my tow vehicle does provide power to the lights, having the switch turned to "off" on the circuit breaker should keep the power off to my inside lights, shouldn't it?  If that will work, then I can definitely remember to turn the circuit breaker switch to "off" every time.  Hmmm, pondering a thought as I type, if the PUP is connected to the tow vehicle, but I have the switch turned to "off" on the circuit breaker, will that also prevent power from getting to my tow lights?

Oh, why didn't I become an electrician......

Hey, there is a post on here by Kennyb79, listing parts for a 97 Jayco with a link to a bunch of pictures. Perhaps he has a picture of the electrical hook-up for the master switch and the wiring to it. Looks as though he has quite a bit of the inner shell exposed. It might be worth a question out to him.

1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB
1997 Ford Explorer
2003 Dodge Grand Caravan
CamperMomof2
Handle Cranker

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »

Thanks sferguson.  I had previously looked at those pictures hoping for just that very thing.  Couldn't see enough to help.  Asking probably won't hurt.

1996 Jayco Eagle 10
 1995 Dodge Ram 1500
DD Hailey - 17
DD Aimee - 9
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: