November 23, 2014, 06:17:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer hitch ball lubrication  (Read 15605 times)
crw4374
Handle Cranker

« on: June 02, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »

I seem to remember my father always having some sort of grease on the trailer hitch ball.  Question- Is the trailer hitch ball supposed to be lubricated?  If so, how often, with what type of lubricant and where to buy?

Thanks

Nights Camped
2010 - 24 and counting
DH - '74
DW - '70
DSS - '94, '01 and '04

Handle Cranker

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 05:25:53 PM »

I had no experience with towing prior to buying my PUP, so I asked my dealer about this.  He said there was no reason to lubricate the hitch ball.  I believe his comment was that the only thing it would do is get grease on your pants if you rub against the hitch ball.  I have not used any lubricant and haven't had any problems. 

12 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD
08 Fleetwood Yuma
CampingFamily1
Back-er-in-er

Mpls/St.Paul, MN 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Sun Valley

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »

The owners manual of the popup says to lube it.

Many people don't believe it's necessary.

I lube the coupler with white grease once in a while and carry a paper towel in my pocket with my keys to remember to wipe it clean later.  When unhitching I pull out the paper towel and wipe off the hitch ball.  

Otherwise someone in the family gets full of grease on their pants.

On other posts, many people think adding grease is way more mess than it's worth.  I do it because I dutifully follow instructions in the manual.  Just in case the manual is more right than people's opinions.

The 2007 Fleetwood manual states on page 53:
"Maintain a light coat of grease on the ball hitch of your vehicle.  This will induce longer ball hitch life and towing ease.  The coupler should be adjusted when required to maintain the coupler/ball tightness.  With the coupler attached to the ball and the coupler release handle down in the locked position, adjust the lock nut (on the underside of the coupler) to compress spring to within 1/32" of solid. "
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:47:28 PM by CampingFamily1 » Logged

Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »

I had no experience with towing prior to buying my PUP, so I asked my dealer about this.  He said there was no reason to lubricate the hitch ball.  I believe his comment was that the only thing it would do is get grease on your pants if you rub against the hitch ball.  I have not used any lubricant and haven't had any problems. 

No doubt he'll be the same dealer standing there ready to sell you a new replacement hitch ball once your score the current one you've not greased.  The coupler rotates about the hitch ball and because it's otherwise metal to metal contact it needs to be greased.  If a greasy hitch ball when not hitched to the trailer is your concern then just stick a hitch ball cover on it.  Those running separate sway bars will also want to grease the sway bar ball, and again covers are available for those as well, 1" IIRC.

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
CampingFamily1
Back-er-in-er

Mpls/St.Paul, MN 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Sun Valley

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 05:51:31 PM »

Thanks for the tip on a hitch ball cover.  That's a better idea than my paper towell

I found one conveniently on Amazon here.  It's in my Amazon cart now!

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:54:51 PM by CampingFamily1 » Logged

tsc
Back-er-in-er

SW Ontario, Canada

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:58:33 PM »

My Fleetwood manual also says to grease.

I have used Bearing grease, and it has served me well. I am now using Reese Hitch Ball Lube, because I got it at a really good price. I put about a dime sized dolop and spread it around everytime I hitch up. To prevent the grease getting everywhere, I also use a hitch ball cover.

2003 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat FX4
1973 AMF Sunkamper (hoping to upgrade real soon---now upgraded)
2009 Fleetwood Utah (maiden voyage 24 Aug 08)
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:18:02 PM »

I've gone both ways-never greasing and keeping a light coat. I really think it's a matter of personal preference. Obviously, a bit of lubrication will make things move easier, keep the chrome coating on the ball preventing rust and prevent squeaking. But I've towed for years without coating with no adverse effects. When I do grease, I just use a cheap lithium compound. One tub will last you a lifetime.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
noMREs
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:54 PM »

No doubt he'll be the same dealer standing there ready to sell you a new replacement hitch ball once your score the current one you've not greased.  The coupler rotates about the hitch ball and because it's otherwise metal to metal contact it needs to be greased.  If a greasy hitch ball when not hitched to the trailer is your concern then just stick a hitch ball cover on it.  Those running separate sway bars will also want to grease the sway bar ball, and again covers are available for those as well, 1" IIRC.

Oz- while I normally would agree with your cynicism, I don't think it applied in this case.  The dealer knew I lived 1.5 hours away and was in the military so I would be moving soon.  Even if I was still stationed there when I needed a new hitch ball, would I really drive 1.5 hours to get one from him rather than running 5 min to the local wal-mart?  He knew I wouldn't be coming back there if I needed a new hitch ball.  You may disagree with him, but I don't think his opinion was motivated by the sale of a new hitch ball. 

12 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD
08 Fleetwood Yuma
Red Barchetta
PUXaholic

Northern CA

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »

I seem to remember my father always having some sort of grease on the trailer hitch ball.  Question- Is the trailer hitch ball supposed to be lubricated?  If so, how often, with what type of lubricant and where to buy?

No need for the mess or a cover.  Simply fold a 12" x 12" piece of wax paper twice to make a 4-layered 6" x 6" piece and you're good-to-go.  Cool Smile

All I've ever used in almost 9 years of towing the PU year 'round down twisty dirt roads and the ball still looks like new.

Jeff
2014 Lance 1575 with tent-end bunk option
(replaced '02 Coleman Utah)
"Get busy living, ..."
CampRock
Chocks-a-lot

“Not all those who wander are lost.” -Tolkien

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 08:23:57 AM »

No need for the mess or a cover.  Simply fold a 12" x 12" piece of wax paper twice to make a 4-layered 6" x 6" piece and you're good-to-go.  Cool Smile

All I've ever used in almost 9 years of towing the PU year 'round down twisty dirt roads and the ball still looks like new.

Jeff....so you dont use ANY lube at all? Just the wax paper? Or do you lube then cover w/ the wax paper?

::Chrissie::

TravTlr Black 2012 Jayco Swift 154BH
 Pickup Red 2010 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
 PopUp Cyan 2005 Viking Saga [sold 6/11]

USA
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 06:41:34 PM »

You just use the wax paper.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
Red Barchetta
PUXaholic

Northern CA

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »

Jeff....so you dont use ANY lube at all? Just the wax paper? Or do you lube then cover w/ the wax paper?

Just the wax paper.  Nothing else.
1 piece per tow.
I keep a roll of wax paper in the jack storage compartment in the rear of the TV.

Jeff
2014 Lance 1575 with tent-end bunk option
(replaced '02 Coleman Utah)
"Get busy living, ..."
Clarabelle
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 09:40:23 PM »

Just the wax paper.  Nothing else.
1 piece per tow.
I keep a roll of wax paper in the jack storage compartment in the rear of the TV.

Great tip.  Thanks, I'll try it.  I've avoided the grease thing so far. 

2007 Sienna
Flagstaff 228
13 grandkids
no pets
Alter Ego
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 11:08:15 PM »

I'm one of those don't grease it guys. I've owned 12 trailers over the last 40+ years and have never wore out a ball or coupler. The only coupler that ever failed on me was from backing the trailer into a tree. (Don't ask) I have about 6 different ball size / draw bar drop combos in the garage and most have the chrome wore off the front of the ball. They're still round and they still safely pull a trailer. I find my trailers always wear out before the couplers.

Gary
1999 Rockwood Premier 2307
2008 Jeep 4 door Wrangler Rubicon
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 11:21:36 PM »

I use proper "Trailer hitch grease".
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=15147&BASE
I put on a rubber glove, put a tiny bit of grease on the finger and wipe it all over the ball, take off the glove and toss it.

When I get home, another rubber glove and a paper towel and the ball stays like new. No squeaks or groans.

I cut a hole in the bottom of a tennis ball. I put the tennis ball on the hitch when not hooked up.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: