October 24, 2014, 03:49:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: canvas adhesive question(s)  (Read 1311 times)
celchlepp
Wheel Chocker

Live. It's that simple.

« on: May 29, 2010, 02:30:21 PM »

Hi all,

I was just wondering what the preferred adhesive is amongst those of you who've ever had to patch any spots on your popped up tents.  The fella we bought ours from gave us some spare canvas to patch with, but I wanted to make sure we get the best stuff there is to seal up any holes anywhere.  Please let me know what you use and what you've tried and whatever other helpful info you can throw my way. 

Thanks!  :)
Chuck
Camping Queen
Back-er-in-er

San Clemente, CA

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 04:31:42 PM »

I have had great results with Tear Aid (you can find it on Amazon), assuming you aren't talking about large holes.  There are two different kinds - Type A is for fabric and Type B is for vinyl - so make sure you get the right kind for your application.  It is easy to apply, is waterproof, and is tolerant to both high and low temperatures.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 04:32:38 PM by Camping Queen » Logged

Jane -'6?  Deleware         
DH Dennis (The Reluctant Camper) -'58 Texas  
DD1 -'98  California
DD2 -'01  California
'14 Toyota Tacoma  Pickup Grey
'05 Honda Odyssey  Van Blue
'04 Jayco Eagle 12 FSO   PopUp Green
austinado16
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »

Probably be tough to successfully glue canvas to canvas.  But if I was going to attempt it, I'd use 3M 5200, or maybe GOOP, or E6000, or silicone.

Personally I'd suggest the product that CQ has used, or iron on patches, or....if the spare canvas is a perfect color match, take the camper's canvas down and have an autotive upholstery shop sew in the patches.  If you shape the patches to look like gussets or other blended shapes, they'll barely be noticeable.  Or sew them in yourself if you have a good sewing machine.
Outbound
Back-er-in-er

Oshawa, Ontario

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 07:42:24 PM »

When we had a PUP, I always used a needle and thread to sew up the rip and then used Tear Mender to keep it from fraying.

For rips in the screens, I just used a needle and some black thread.

Craig
2009 r-pod 171  SUV Black 2008 Mazda Tribute GS-V6
1975 Lionel 80  PopUp Bronze
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: