September 19, 2014, 03:52:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lift cable broken - how to fix???  (Read 19110 times)
tmaxx
Wheel Chocker

« on: May 24, 2010, 09:16:28 AM »

I've got a 2001 Coleman Mesa popup.  Last Saturday I was at a campsite cranking up the top when I heard a loud "pop!".  The rear right corner of the top dropped down while the other three sides stayed up.  After examining the corner which was lowest, I saw that the cable was broken.  I was able to lower the top and head home.
I have never dealt with any broken cables before with the popup lifting mechanism.  I am wondering if this is something I should try and fix myself.  Are there any good posts which exist on how to go about repairing this?  Do I need to buy a replacement cable from an RV parts supply?  Also, I am not sure how to raise the corner with the broken cable in order to fix the cable. 
I've got a trip planned next month, so I want to get this fixed soon.
Thanks.
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »

There was a similar discussion just a few days ago. Look in the fix it forum or do a search on broken cable, lift, etc.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
fshnfool76
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 01:30:33 PM »

There was a similar discussion just a few days ago. Look in the fix it forum or do a search on broken cable, lift, etc.

That might be me. The same cable, same corner, broke on my pup friday afternoon. Luckily, I was in my driveway. I couldn't get that corner to go down though.     http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=78500.msg163854#msg163854

Between work and kids scheduals I don't have time to do the work myself this week so I brought it to a place recommended by other shops. I asked him to try and have it done by wednesday evening and he said that it probably wouldn't be a problem.
 Anyway, if you look at the Coleman lift manual, http://rvworkshop.com/Coleman_Lift_Systems.pdf , and your handy, you can probably do it in a few hours. Other guys on the forum have gotten the cable and crimps from hardware stores and Home depot.   Alan

http://community.webshots.com/user/fshnfool76

Alan-'58; DW-ageless[;)]; DD- always the princess[:I]; DS- busy playing gameboy[:p]; New Dpuppy-'07;  PopUp Bronze'88 Coleman Chesapeake; 2010 F-150; All love camping
DeanneTor
Handle Cranker

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 11:17:57 PM »

I have a 1998 Coleman Niagara, that had two broken lift cables in the front.  After reading posts, downloading the Coleman instructions and purchasing all the necessary tools/supplies, we ended up taking it to a total of three shops to get it fixed because the top was much too heavy (with roof mounted AC) to lift high enough to access lifter arms.  The shop we ended up having it fixed at said that they use two fork lifts to raise the top to get it to full height to be able to take the lifter arms out to do the replacement.  And yes, if you have a twelve foot box with a hard top and a roof mounted AC it IS that heavy.  Don't think we could have done it even with five people (two on each broken cable corner and one to push the hydraulic button)  Some mistakes are more expensive than others to fix, just remember to triple check roof latches before pushing the lift button!!! :( Hybrid Green

Deanne
+ Mike, Kieren, Rhys & Farmer
2008 Fleetwood Arcadia
2012 4WD Honda Pilot
ghacker
Parking Heckler

Illinois

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 11:58:36 PM »

...Some mistakes are more expensive than others to fix, just remember to triple check roof latches before pushing the lift button!!! :( Hybrid Green

Ouch! But believe me, you're not the only one for SPUTs. I figure for me it's only a matter of time. I've come close a few times.

'06 Bayside       

'03 Dakota
'13 Ram 1500
denmar05
Handle Cranker

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:44:30 PM »

i had a 1988 coleman camper...bought it used and the first time i put it up the cable broke.It's not a hard fix but it is kinda trickey.First thing you have to do is try to put your top up and brace it.when you have it up and braced (all four corners)slowly crank it down a little bit to take the presure off the cables.go under the camper and take the box off that covers the cable crank hub.you will see four cables coming onto a piece of all thread with a plate on one end that the cables come to.find the cable that is broke and follow it to the corner of the camper.Now go into the camper adn here is where it gets trickey,you have to get the paneling off to get inside the lifting post.when you do that make a picture of how the cable goes.get a new cable and follow the same track.One very important thing your cable will stretch so make sure your pulleys on the corner are moved in so when the cable stretch's you can take the slack out of the cable...good luck and keep us posted 
austinado16
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 04:36:05 PM »

You might crawl under and see where the cable broke if it's in a location that's condusive to splicing, you buy some cable from the hardware store, and a couple of those little horseshoe shaped cable connectors, and make a nice little splice.  This will work well as long as it's not in an area where the horseshoe shaped parts would bottom out on a pulley and prevent the roof from full travel. 

Otherwise, Chris at www.canvasreplacements.com will have that cable and you can do the job easily yourself if you have a moderate amount of mechanical skill and basic tools.
iomegaboy
Handle Cranker

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:55:50 AM »

My 2003 Flagstaff had a broken cable that was repaired by overlapping the cables and bolting them together with the horseshoe bolts. This splice failed (luckily when the roof was low - supported by all the tent material). I went and bought new cable to replace from the winch to the break (halfway between the winch and where it disappears into the lift mechanism). I chose to bend the cables over one another - I just need to watch to make sure that the cable doesn't fray and break at the bend point. I think the chances of that happening are a lot less than how it was set up before. Also if I keep the bolts tight - the metal in the cable has "realigned" in the bent position - and I think it's unlikely to slip out of place). I can't afford to replace the whole cable - the local trailer repair shop says it's a fairly labor intensive process.

PopUp Blue  Van Green
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: