October 30, 2014, 09:25:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Awning replacement?  (Read 5556 times)
socrates50
Wheel Chocker

« on: May 21, 2010, 07:48:24 AM »

Okay, so my wife and I are out for our first weekend in our newly acquired 2004 Fleetwood Tacoma. Trying to put the awning up when the bag stitching rips out of the rubber seal on the roof (I guess it rotted). Anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to order a new one, or should I just try to get it re-stitched?

2004 Fleetwood Destiny Tacoma
2007 Toyota 4Runner 2WD V6
ngatel
PUXaholic

Palm Springs, CA

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 07:58:50 AM »

I hate OEM awnings. Here are the two we have used, and both are outstanding. We used a Fiamma on our 8' Starcraft, and I like it the best. They did not make one long enough for our Niagara, and if they did, it probably would have overload our roof capacity with the A/C and solar panels. Not sure if Fiamma has expanded their line.

Fiamma Awning

Shademaker Awning

Shademaker Awning Pole Mod

Official PUX Curmudgeon
Nick Gatel
Palm Springs
92 Starcraft Meteorite
2006 Niagara
2014 Eclipse Milan 26RLS

2000 Ford Explorer
2003 Expedition
2012 Ford Expedition

PopUpBackpacker
sully
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »

we bought ours used with the same issue - the bag had already come down. I bought the "bead" (plastic insert that goes in the C-channel) from our Fleetwood/Coleman dealer and went to an auto upholstery shop. About $60 total spent. The bag, zipper, poles and awning were all fine - it was just the bag attaching to the roof.

I understand there may be better options, but this was easiest & cheapest for me.

2008 Explorer (V6 4.0)
2003 Coleman/Fleetwood Santa Fe
Missouri City (Houston), Texas
stubble
Chocks-a-lot

left coaster

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:11:30 AM »

I hate OEM awnings. Here are the two we have used, and both are outstanding. We used a Fiamma on our 8' Starcraft, and I like it the best. They did not make one long enough for our Niagara, and if they did, it probably would have overload our roof capacity with the A/C and solar panels. Not sure if Fiamma has expanded their line.

Fiamma Awning

Shademaker Awning

Shademaker Awning Pole Mod

Great stuff, Nick. Too bad those Fiammas are so pricey!

cheers, Sebastian
09 Fleetwood Saratoga, 03 Yukon XL 2500, 05 Honda Pilot
My camping pages

austinado16
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:27:29 AM »

I just have them restitched.  It's quick, easy and cheap.

Stubble; I actually had one of the Fiamma's and intended to put it on my camper.  It was a CL score for $80.  But it was so heavy at 11' long, that even the tech guys at Starcraft said it might damage the roof.  I was really disappointed not to be able to use it.......man, what a nice awning.
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:05:35 PM »

Okay, so my wife and I are out for our first weekend in our newly acquired 2004 Fleetwood Tacoma. Trying to put the awning up when the bag stitching rips out of the rubber seal on the roof (I guess it rotted). Anyone have any suggestions as to the best place to order a new one, or should I just try to get it re-stitched?
If the material is rotten, I wouldn't bother restitching it because it will just tear again.

If you live in the greater Los Angeles area, I have an original Coleman awning and bag (in good shape) that you can have. All of the aluminum framing is all bent up but it would be easily transferable.

If that's not an option, a lot of us have purchased a new awning from this eBay seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/A-E-TRIM-LINE-11-GRAY-AWNING-CAMPER-POP-UP-PICKUP-/140409502381?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20b10efaad

I can't say enough good about the seller and the awning is far superior to the Coleman factory awning (which is a piece of junk).

For $225-$250, you can't go wrong.

BTW 11' is the proper awning length for your 12' roof.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:42:59 PM by wavery » Logged

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: