November 27, 2014, 03:37:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: '96 Jayco Jay 1206 lift arm sticks  (Read 5116 times)
fkzdiceman
Wheel Chocker

« on: May 09, 2010, 12:39:06 PM »

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can help me out with my popup.  We inherited a Jayco popup, but are having some trouble with it.  The right front corner will only lift up the length of the thickest part of the telescoping lift arm.  Once it has lifted as far as the largest part of the lift arm will go, it is stuck.  I can't get it lifted all the way up to do anything else with it.  Even trying to push it up manually does no good.  When you first start raising the top, that corner seems to lift much faster than the other three corners.

Thanks,

-matt

1996 Jayco Jay Series 1206
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
fkzdiceman
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 03:29:08 PM »

After some checking it looks like the smaller part of the telescopic arm is binding in the larger part.  Once the larger part of the arm is extended the top will not go  up any further.  Anyone know if you can replace the arm without raising the top all of the way?  Anyone have an estimate for the price of a telescopic lift arm?

Thanks!

-matt

2001 Dodge Ram 1500
OneMoreDay
Chocks-a-lot

Writer, teacher, mother, and wife...

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 05:25:35 PM »

Hello and welcome, Matt!

We have a '99 Jayco Qwest Eagle. It seems that some Jayco models have the spring that is encased in a squarish housing and threads up into the camper and then gets routed to the lift arms, and some have a spring that is enclosed in a round pipe and threads directly up to the lift arms from beneath the trailer. Which is yours?

Anyway, it might be the lift arm that is bent, but it could easily be the spring that is bent inside the lift arm. You can buy both from www.canvasreplacements.com, and if you call, speak with Jessie. She is absolutely great, and will look up your make/model/VIN number and ensure that you are getting the correct part. For both, it could be anywhere from $80 to $150, depending on what you've got.   Cheesy Just went through this, ourselves.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:42:01 PM by OneMoreDay » Logged

1999 10' Jayco Eagle Qwest with a total bodylift
2007 Saturn Relay (tows the popup without a hiccup!)
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:43:21 PM »

The problem with the L&W lift system is getting access!
Trace the cable to see if any of the pulleys are binding when stuck

http://www.popupportal.com/PUPmanuals/Jayco_1998_Lift_System.pdf
http://www.popupportal.com/PUPmanuals/LW_Lift_System_Replacement.pdf

http://www.enter.net/kart/kart.pl?cart=rvworkshop&action=category2&catid=49&pwidth=4
http://www.popupparts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_1932_1933
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:46:56 PM by rabird » Logged

fkzdiceman
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:00:11 PM »

Thanks OneMoreDay.  We actually bought our replacement canvas from them...so that is cool.  Do you know how to check the spring?  I guess I would need to remove the lift arm?

rabird, I don't think it is a pully or cable.  The lift arm goes up smoothly until it reaches the full length of the larger part of the telescopic arm.  I have lifted the top to that point and been able to slide the large part up and down on the other three posts, but the one that is sticking will not budge!  We can't lift that corner any higher manually either.  It seems like the smaller section of the telescopic lift arm is binding up tight in the large section.

I have looked at the lift system pdf in regards to removing the lift arm, but I'm not sure if I can get it out since I can't raise the top all the way up.

Thanks for all the prompt replies.  What a great resource this site is!!

-matt
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:02:34 PM by fkzdiceman » Logged

2001 Dodge Ram 1500
rabird
Parking Heckler

N. Texas

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:44:08 PM »

I'd support it at whatever height you can and try to remove it.

Otherwise, disconnect the bolt at the top and manually raise the roof with help and support!

OneMoreDay
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »

One thing that helps to know: the spring (pulley) is actually NOT connected  to the lift arm, at all. It routes through the lift arm, and pushes up on the top of the lift arm. Really, though it is called a "pulley" it would be better named a "pushey".

So, just to add to rabird's comment, if you can manage to physically lift that corner of the trailer by yourself (thus raising the lift arms to their extended position while someone else is cranking the roof up to its high position), and then have someone place a 2x4 or some block of wood of the correct length between the base of the camper and the roof, then you should be able to access the spring (pulley) from underneath the trailer. Once the roof is fully up, my DH was able to disconnect the housing of the spring underneath the trailer and then pull the spring out from below.

Just so you know, these parts are usually not just sitting around on a shelf, ready to ship. So, once you determine what you need (if it is only the top two sections of lift arm that are not performing, do you see any bends in them? If not, it's probably the spring inside the lift arm that is the problem, and we had a situation where the spring was all bound up with the plastic piece that should be at the very bottom of the lift arm, but got loose somehow and got all bound up with the spring), you may need to go ahead and lower the roof, cover up the trailer, and place your order, and expect that it will be two weeks before it arrives.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:23:00 PM by OneMoreDay » Logged

OneMoreDay
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 04:20:08 PM »

If the problem turns out to be the spring, not the lift arm:

Here is a photo of the access point beneath the trailer for the spring, fkzdiceman, in case you have the same type of Jayco L&W lift as we do:

(The green stuff is lubrication grease.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 04:23:29 PM by OneMoreDay » Logged

fkzdiceman
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »

Thanks OneMoreDay.  It was the lift arm though.  We pulled out the lift arm and had to insert a screwdriver into the hole that mounts it to the camper roof and tap it with a rubber mallet to get it to fully extend.  Once extended we noticed it had a bend in it that was causing it to bind against the larger telescopic piece.  Tried to pound it straight, but it seems to have pretty tight tolerances.

Before I drop $70+ on a new lift arm I'm going to try to buy a piece of square tube steel to replace the smallest section of the arm.  Got the bent piece out and it doesn't look like anything special.  It has a hole drilled in one end for the roof mount bolt and dimples to hold the piece that the spring pushes against (which is plastic!!).  Has anyone tried this before?

Thanks again for all the helpful hints.  I'll be back if my idea doesn't work looking for a good place to buy a telescopic arm Smiley

-matt

2001 Dodge Ram 1500
OneMoreDay
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 05:42:53 PM »

Hey Matt, I'm glad you found the problem, and sounds like an easy fix. I worried I might have steered you in the wrong direction.

Embarrassed  Mary

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: