September 30, 2014, 11:52:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drip pan for a/c unit?  (Read 3702 times)
4murphys
Wheel Chocker

« on: March 24, 2010, 12:29:07 PM »

hello everyone,  i have a 98 Coleman Grandview w/ a Coleman Mach 3 a/c unit.  we boughtn it last spring and used it a couple times and the a/c worked great but the last 2 times we used it was at the beach.  while we at the beach there was water dripping on the inside of the camper, coming out of the a/c vent, where the cold are comes out.  there was quite a bit, enough to fill a cereal bowl once or twice a day.

i did clean the filters (all the ones i saw anyway).  after talking to 2 different shops about it, both said it sounds like the drip plan needs to cleaned out or there is some kind of blockage. 

my question is, where and how do i get to the drip pan?  my owners manual doesn't say anything about a drip pan, just to clean the filters.

does anyone have any experience on the Coleman Mach 3 a/c?  or some advice? 

thank you!
Oz and Us
PUX is my life

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:21:09 PM »

we boughtn it last spring and used it a couple times and the a/c worked great but the last 2 times we used it was at the beach.  while we at the beach there was water dripping on the inside of the camper, coming out of the a/c vent, where the cold are comes out. 

A drip pan isn't going to help you with this problem ... what's happening is that the temperature of the air on the inside of the cold air duct is so vastly different from the warm air on the other side (i.e. the air in the camper) that condensation is forming on the inside of this duct and blowing out along with the cold air.  To prevent this you need to do what I did with my Carrier AirV ... line the duct with Reflectix ... works like a charm. Approve

Oz Mods Gallery

'14 Freedom Express 192RBS / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'03 Fleetwood Yuma / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'08 KZ Spree 240BH-LX / '05 Avalanche 4x2
'07 RVision TrailCruiser C21RBH / '06 Silverado 4x4
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe / '98 Explorer 4x4
'98 Jayco Eagle 10UD / '94 Caravan
'69 Coleman CT380 / '65 Impala

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy!"
Conductor
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:32:57 PM »

I had a problem with my Duotherm AC, where I was getting a good amount of water dripping inside during use. After checking the roof seal, checking the drain openings on the drip pan, etc., what I found was that my plastic drip pan had a nice long crack in it. So instead of water draining to the outside of the unit, it came down through the crack and into my camper. Because the drip pan requires removal of pretty much the entire AC workings to replace, I went to work with a lot of silicone sealer. I filled and sealed the crack, and did some other things to help divert condensation to the proper drains, etc. It works great now. (At least it did before winter......)

Conductor, DS, DD
1999 Rockwood 2108 Ultralite TT - 100% LED, 30 watts solar, extra water tank
2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7 liter, K&N Filter, Mag-Hytec Diff. Cvr, Synth. Eng & Gear Lube
RickH
Chocks-a-lot

Jacksonville, Florida

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:00:26 PM »

This problem can also be caused by one of the four mounting bolts coming loose. That happened to me awhile back.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: