August 31, 2014, 11:30:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Easily Moving Pop Up Around  (Read 7343 times)
bobbymojo
Wheel Chocker

The Camping Life

« on: March 21, 2010, 05:57:01 AM »

Hello again everyone.  My first post landed me in the world of the Coleman roof topic...ouch!  After searching based on a response I got....boy are there a lot of posts on that topic....

So, does anyone have a handy, dandy way of moving your pop up around (in/out of garage) other than the crank wheel on the front?  I have a bit of a slope once outside the garage so I am wondering if their is an easier way outside the crank wheel or hooking up my truck every time I want to wheel it outside for some work.

Yes, I am a "newbie" so bare with me as I get used to owning and working on a pop up.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Bob
dcj070454
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 05:59:16 AM »

I will suggest looking into a trailer dolly, two wheeled contraption that has a ball on it and a long handle.  Harbor Frieght has them.

PopUp Purple  SUV Black September 11  USA Ohio
Spirit Deer
PUX is my life

Boundary Waters Canoe Area, Minnesota

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 06:14:16 AM »

I wouldn't roll it out of the garage onto an incline without some way of stopping it.

Rae, Fred, Sugar, and Minnesota

2013 Aliner Expedition Titanium Edition (Ty)
2002 Chevy Avalanche (Avvy)
skroesen
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:33:34 AM »

I use my riding mower.  Gives you an excuse to go buy a rider to mow your lawn! Cool
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:34:35 AM by skroesen » Logged

1996 Starcraft Starlounge 1224 pulled by a 2007 Expedition.  PopUp Orange  SUV Red

For the water, 2004 Crownline 230BR

2010: 6 Nights

Camping Pictures

Repair Pictures
He Ruide
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:04:48 AM »

I will suggest looking into a trailer dolly, two wheeled contraption that has a ball on it and a long handle.  Harbor Frieght has them.

PopUp Purple  SUV Black September 11  USA Ohio

Here is a picture of the trailer dolly that Night Stalker referred to.

Hope this helps

Ruide

Fleetwood Evolution E3
Hummer H2
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
Honda EU 3000 Generator

My Mods and Pictures and My Weekly Blog
wavery
PUX is my life

TrailManor.......TRUE Pop-Up

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:10:07 AM »

I also use the "trailer dolly" to move my trailer around in the garage in my apt building. The garage floor has a slight slope (for drainage) and the trailer can get away from me. I always have the trailer brakes "break-away" cable in my hand when I move the trailer. If the trailer gets away from me, I just pull the cable and the trailer stops immediately.

Wayne, Carolyn & Sccamp 14  grandkids  ...Southern California
--------------
'98 Winnebago Adventurer 33
160W Solar Panels, Dual 6V Batteries

EX PU- '04 Trailmanor 2720SL........ 

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

EX- TV - 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 (ext cab) 157" WB.
tsc
Back-er-in-er

SW Ontario, Canada

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:38 AM »

How big is your pup?

I have a trailer dolly and it's good for my little Sunkamper; the Fleetwood (Utah) is just way too big, if there is any incline at all. Momentem works--I have first hand working knowledge and it wasn't intentional.

I've moved both trailers on a level dirt driveway and it's not bad to pull the dolly. Pushing it backwards is a different story.

Good call Wavery--Never thought of that option with the breakaway cable.

2003 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat FX4
1973 AMF Sunkamper (hoping to upgrade real soon---now upgraded)
2009 Fleetwood Utah (maiden voyage 24 Aug 08)
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:17:20 AM »

Good call Wavery--Never thought of that option with the breakaway cable.
I can't risk the trailer getting away because it could do a lot of damage to other people's property.

I move my trailer around inside of a crowded parking garage with many cars that are very new and very expensive. I also manage the building so it would be really ugly if my trailer smashed into someone's $70K Mercedes.......
 Dead

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

mstrbill
Off Duty Moderator
Parking Heckler

Austin, Tx

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »

hooking up my truck every time

Since I you have a truck, I would recommend a front trailer hitch. As other posters above noted the dolly works best for campers with lighter tongue weights.

Bill

the Camping Poms: Joy, Tori & Bella the Yorkie
2008 Fleetwood Niagara Highwall -  PopUp Blue  SUV Black - 2004 Chevy Suburban LT
96 Coleman Bayport -  PopUp Blue Pickup Blue - 98 F150SC - lots of great memories, but got tired of fighting the sagging cracking ABS roof
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »

hooking up my truck every time

Since I you have a truck, I would recommend a front trailer hitch. As other posters above noted the dolly works best for campers with lighter tongue weights.
Actually, it's the GVW and the brute force that it takes to push and pull the entire trailer that makes the difference. Tongue weight has little to do with it. In fact, my TW is 500# and the dolly is rated at 700#. Tongue weight just simply isn't an issue with the appropriate rated dolly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:59:27 AM by wavery » Logged

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

rileysown
Back-er-in-er

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »

On smooth surfaces it is easy enough to move even a large trailer. At the dealers when I was picking up my Utah, on that very smooth floor of the garage where they do the PDI and service work, my trailer moved with almost no effort. At home on the paved drive, much harder to move. On the grass, with the little wheel on the tongue jack, not a chance.

My question is would a trailer dolly work on grass so I could more precisely position my Utah without all the back and forth that is needed right now as a thread it between the house and the hedge and around the corner?

FYBO III & FYBO IV Survivor
Me (Jim '66) My Blog
Wife (Ladysown--Annette '65) DW's blog
Son  (Justin '05)
TV  '97 Safari
2005 Chevy Silverado  PopUp Grey
2001 Jayco Quest 10v trailer
2005 Fleetwood Utah
 Canada

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
wavery
PUX is my life

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 10:30:19 AM »

My question is would a trailer dolly work on grass so I could more precisely position my Utah without all the back and forth that is needed right now as a thread it between the house and the hedge and around the corner?
The trailer dolly would make it much easier to move than with the regular tongue jack wheel. You may still find it hard to push around on grass though. Get someone to push, while you pull.

The small tongue wheel will just sink in the grass and dirt. The trailer dolly will stay on top (if the dirt isn't too soft).

You can get power driven dollies too. They will manuever the trailer better than your TV.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 10:32:18 AM by wavery » Logged

--------------

3X PU '02 Coleman Tacoma

bobbymojo
Wheel Chocker

The Camping Life

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 10:50:34 AM »

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. 

Skroesen, I never thought about using my riding lawn mower.  Great Idea!!!  That would be a breeze.

I really like the dolly idea as well but since we just spent some hard cash on the pop up the wife will want me to go with the cheaper version....already in stock lawn mower. Big Smile

Bob

Bob
skroesen
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 12:31:08 PM »

Here is a picture of the trailer dolly that Night Stalker referred to.

Hope this helps

Ruide

Is that your red Crownline in the background there?  Nice boat!   Big Smile

1996 Starcraft Starlounge 1224 pulled by a 2007 Expedition.  PopUp Orange  SUV Red

For the water, 2004 Crownline 230BR

2010: 6 Nights

Camping Pictures

Repair Pictures
rileysown
Back-er-in-er

Ontario, Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 12:39:51 PM »

The trailer dolly would make it much easier to move than with the regular tongue jack wheel. You may still find it hard to push around on grass though. Get someone to push, while you pull.

The small tongue wheel will just sink in the grass and dirt. The trailer dolly will stay on top (if the dirt isn't too soft).

You can get power driven dollies too. They will manuever the trailer better than your TV.

I no longer have a wheel. With switching to a center mount tongue jack at the current height of the trailer there is no room for a wheel while still allowing me to hitch up the trailer and still get the wheel off without digging a hole under it.

I figured the dolly would not sink, those big air filled tires would solve that. So it can be done

A powered one would be nice, but the price difference is excessive. I would rather pay $59 and expend some energy that several hundred. If I saw a powered one on sale that might change my views. I do have the plans to make my own and I guess I could try to modify them to add power, for now I thing I might just order a manual one.

FYBO III & FYBO IV Survivor
Me (Jim '66) My Blog
Wife (Ladysown--Annette '65) DW's blog
Son  (Justin '05)
TV  '97 Safari
2005 Chevy Silverado  PopUp Grey
2001 Jayco Quest 10v trailer
2005 Fleetwood Utah
 Canada

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
Pages: [1] 2
  Print