April 17, 2014, 07:57:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1993 Coleman Destiny Pop Up  (Read 13457 times)
McLeod13
Handle Cranker

1993 Coleman Destiny Royale

« on: January 10, 2010, 09:37:26 AM »

Hello everyone. This is my first post here.. We are looking for our first pop up. We recently found our love for camping and are eager to get one. We have found one in our area. a 1993 Coleman Destiny or about 1400.. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this camper. It looks a little small in the videos I have seen, but then again you can't really trust what you see online.. We aren't too extravagant and there will normally be 3 or 5 of us camping in it. We don't have a lot of stuff right now, but we would like to do some mods to it.. Like adding AC and a stereo and a mini fridge.

Would we be able to do this with this kind of pup? We would also like to go all over to different states and go camping. Any suggestions.. This one is right around our price range, and we may be able to go a little more..

Can't wait to get the camping started!
Is it spring yet?
Veteran of United States Navy!!
pianojuggler
Back-er-in-er

Pacific Northwet

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »

Welcome to PUX.

I have a 1992 Coleman (Fleetwood) Destiny Roanoke.  "Destiny" is the series.  IIRC in 1993, there were three or four models including the Roanoke, Royale, Cedar, and maybe the Cedar XL.  The Roanoke is the bottom of the line and has an 8-foot box, 8-inch wheels (with no brakes) and is a VERY basic trailer.  No fridge, no potty, limited storage, a wheezy two-burner stove, a hand-pump sink, and two smaller-than-full-size beds (the dinette also makes in to a bed that is a scant 5 feet long.  I took out the sink.  I took out the box that the stove sits on and I only use the stove outside on the hooks provided.  For me, this was a baby step up from a tent, and is basically a tent in a box on wheels.

The Royale is a 10 foot box, has a "queen" bed in front (make sure you get the two extra supports for the front bunk) and may have a few other amenities.  The 10-foot and larger Colemans have electric brakes.  At some year (probably later than 1993) *all* Colemans had brakes.  Mine doesn't.

Whether the PUP is worth $1400 is a call you are going to have to make, and you may have to do some research to get there.  I paid $850 for mine two years ago.  I bought it in the dead of winter -- PUPs weren't selling like hotcakes in December.  Condition and geographic area are big factors as well.  A PUP is worth more in a climate where you can camp nearly year round (although some crazy people do camp year round here in the Pacific Northwet).  On a 17-year-old PUP, I would not worry too much about the fact that Coleman/Fleetwood/FTCA/Coleman/whatever may or may not exist next week.  The trailer in question will be pretty well depreciated and is long out of warranty.  IIRC, Destinies *never* had ABS roofs, so no worries in that department.  So, if it is a Royale in good shape, I would guess that $1400 is probably in the right ballpark. 

Yes, you can add an AC, a stereo and a fridge.  I would be most concerned about the AC.  I have seen home-made AC installations that put the AC at the back of the box rather than in the roof.  The weight is carried lower (although fully aft, so watch that tongue weight doesn't get too light) and if you seal it well, it should never leak.  Added a roof AC yourself seems like you are begging for a roof leak, but that's just my opinion.  In a PUP this old, I would just buy a dorm fridge and not try to get a propane-fired RV one.  They are expensive and finicky about being level.  The only advantage is that you can usually leave it running while you are underway so you arrive at your destination with your brown pops COLD.  But one of those powerchill-style coolers can accomplish the same thing.  A dorm fridge also means you must get a site with electric hookup.  I don't know if that will cramp your style -- like if you had planned on boondocking (camping off the grid).

If you are planning to take long trips, pay particular attention to servicing the wheels and brakes.  On any PUP this old, I would do the wheel bearings and brakes as a matter of course.  You should also carefully check the condition of the tires -- including the spare.  A spare spare might not even be a bad idea, especially if you get the one with 8-inch wheels.

Check out the lift system carefully.  Check for binding, for the ratchet system (if it has one) to work properly, check that the roof is level when fully raised and when fully lowered and ready to latch.  A roof that is very unlevel or not square with the box when lowered *may* indicate a tweaked lift arm, one or more cables that were replaced and not properly adjusted when they stretched in, or a box that is twisted (probably because the underframe is twisted, probably because someone tried to level it with the stabilizers.  Check the wiring and propane systems carefully.  While they may be relatively easy to fix, they are potential serious hazards if they are in bad shape.

I hope this helps.  Keep those letters and card coming in!

SUV Blue 2000 ML430  PopUp Green 1995 Coleman Utah
McLeod13
Handle Cranker

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »

Wow, I am really confused now.. LOL.. That isn't saying a lot though.. The camper I am looking at says it is 8ft closed and has a queen, double, and full.. We are going to look at it but it is 75 miles away..

Can't wait to get the camping started!
Is it spring yet?
Veteran of United States Navy!!
hoppy
Back-er-in-er

Peachtree City, GA

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »

You can go to www.colemantrailers.com, and view all the floor plans for all their past years and models for clarification.
Once on the main page, at the top is a tab that states brochures, and just click on the year of the PU you are interested in. The floor plans and dimensions will be in there to clear up the confussion for you.

Happy hunting.

Keep your kinlin' dry

Hoppy  Big Smile 
Hoppette  Blush
2001 Silverado TV   Pickup Grey
2001 Coleman Mesa   PopUp Cyan
pianojuggler
Back-er-in-er

Pacific Northwet

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »

One tidbit about looking at current models vs. older ones... as I recall, the current 8-foot box Coleman is the Sedona which has a full/queen-ish size bed on one end and a twin-ish size bed on the other.  My 8-foot box Roanoke has two beds that are the same size -- about six inches narrower than a "full".

So, make sure you are looking at the floor plan for your model for your year.  Stuff changes over time.

The ONLY way to know exactly what is on any given trailer is to look at that trailer.

SUV Blue 2000 ML430  PopUp Green 1995 Coleman Utah
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: