July 24, 2014, 02:40:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1976 Starcraft Stardust Swinger  (Read 5771 times)
rlpolicar
Kindlin' Collector

« on: November 12, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »

Hi everyone,

I just picked up my first PUP for $250. The canvas is in good shape, no mold or tears. But the cables broke on it. I found the PDF for the Starcraft Lift System and printed it. Now I just need to know where I can find the replacement cables. Actually any help on how to actually do it would be great. Is there a photo tutorial on how to replace the cables?

thanks
Cowtown Dave
Wheel Chocker

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39:51 PM »

I was looking for some spares for mine as well.  I found replacement cables in varying lengths on eBay for $8 a pair.  This guy appears to have a lot of stuff.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/dapatch07/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=

New owner of a 1999 Starcraft Galaxy!!
knobbyhead
Back-er-in-er

The Sea Shore NJ

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 12:46:15 PM »

Here is a link to a wiki page describing your lift.  I think this should help:

http://www.wikipopup.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

For 250$ you got a goo bargain. 

Bob

DW - Trish
1995 Jayco J1006
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
1993 Volvo 240

austinado16
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 11:10:55 AM »

Cool score.  There's a '76 Swinger here locally for sale and it's pretty nice.  Even has the original convection style furnace.
rlpolicar
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 03:59:15 PM »

Well my buddies and I had a chance to raise the top and we figured out how the cabling system goes. Looks like all cables that go to the yoke were broken, 2 of the 4ft cables inside of the lifters were also broken.

So now I'm looking to replace all 4 lifter cables, but the sites you guys mentioned sells the length that I need. This situation may lead me to make my own cables by using some ferrules and a cable swager. Has anyone made their own cables? If so, were they pretty reliable?
austinado16
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:08:00 PM »

You'll have no problem making and using your own cables.  When they're all installed you'll have to raise the roof to the height that makes the screen door fit correctly and then adjust the 4 main cables at their turn buckles so that the 4 corners of the roof "stop" at that correct height.  From then on, the roof will operate really nice.  Just remember to always level the camper prior to raising the roof, and then once the roof is fully up, set the stabilizers.
74' Starcraft
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 09:39:20 PM »

Hi
The instructions here are great!  Straight forward once you start doing it.  I bought the cable and furrols (sp?) at Lowes and pretty cheap.  If you are replac one.... do them all.  You could also have the material stored away incase you need to make one on the road

rlpolicar
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 02:48:54 PM »

Do you guys know how to lower the stabilizing jacks? I tried to follow the instructions, but when I hit the quick release, nothing happens it doesn't slide out. Am I missing a step?
austinado16
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 09:51:31 PM »

Does it have the Atwood style that are spring loaded, so you pull the whole thing about a 1/2" to get it to uncouple from the horizontal "stored" position.....and then let it snap back into the more vertical "down" position.  Then there's a big release "tab" that's spring loaded.  You press the tab down fully, then grab the foot of the stabilizer and pull it down out of the body of the stabilizer until the foot touches the ground.  Then you insert a 12" long 1/2" diameter steel bar into the upper holes in that part you just slid.....above the metal "tab" and leverage the inner part of the stabilizer against the ground harder.  Not so much as to lift the camper, but enough to put some load on the stabilizer.

Disregard my rambling if your's isn't set up this way.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: