October 21, 2014, 01:29:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto Sock rather than chains or cables - I'm going to go for it (I think)  (Read 12949 times)
austinado16
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2010, 11:38:13 AM »

Malena, reach over the top back side of the front wheels at about the 12 o'clock position, where you see the suspension strut coming down.  Feel for how much room is between the strut's tube and the tire's sidewall back there.  There may also be a clearance issue where the steering connects behind the wheel, so if there's room, run your hand(s) around the entire back of the tire, from about 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock and see if there are any tight spots.  Basically, if you can't slide your fingers between the suspension/steering components and the back of the tire/wheel, the cables won't fit either.

You'll also want to look at how your brake hoses and ABS sensor cables are routed in order to make sure the cables won't snag on the snow cables and be torn out.  If you turn the wheels fully to one side, you'll be able to see most of this stuff with a flashlight.
PupInNH2
Handle Cranker

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »

Hmm, they don't list that tire size for the ones sold in the US but do elsewhere per this site: http://en.item.rakuten.com/denshi/352071/#estimationOf.  A bit more costly there but they do ship to the US, your number is listed as 697.  The other thing is putting your tire dimension into a calculator like at discount tire.  It lists your tire as 29.57" diameter and 9.65"wide.  A 245/65R17 tire which is the same width but 29.54" diameter is on the US list using Autosock 785.  That's pretty darn close, you'd think the cloth would be fine with a 1/16" difference.  Especially seeing they list 245/75R16 as using Autosock 785 and it has the same width as yours but with a 30.47" diameter.  Someone please correct my math if it's wrong but I believe you would be good with the 785.

Mike
97 Camplite 2218   PopUp Green
pullout dining area
Towed by:
00 Odyssey   Van Green
99 Cherokee  Jeep
Malena
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2010, 07:57:36 PM »

Thanks for the math. :) I might have time to go the sock route after all because I'm thinking Thanksgiving isn't worth a thousand miles of snow and rain driving...even though the return thousand should be dry.

darn TSA
austinado16
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »

Nice goin' Mike!  Looks like Malena is getting new socks for xmas!!
radimus
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2010, 07:03:19 AM »

Malena, your AWD is actually better than the 4WD that you had on your Bronco.  4 wheel drive on an American truck is basically one front wheel, and one rear wheel being powered.  At the rear, a limited slip differential would eventually "lock" and make both rear wheels powered, but the front would only have 1 wheel being powered.

One little nitpick.  Limited slip differentials do not lock.  They limit the slip of the wheel with the least traction.  Locking differentials will lock and turn both wheels at the same rate.

rad

hybrid Red 2007 Starcraft Antigua 215S
 SUV Red 1997 GMC Yukon * 1999 GMC Suburban  SUV Black
1991 Ford F-150   Pickup Blue
PupInNH2
Handle Cranker

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2010, 03:33:47 PM »

Nice goin' Mike!  Looks like Malena is getting new socks for xmas!!
Thanks.  These Autosocks really intrigue me.  Seems like a simple, easily stored device to help when the going gets nasty.  Great for my son's Civic and wife's van.

Mike
pullout dining area
Towed by:
00 Odyssey   Van Green
99 Cherokee  Jeep
austinado16
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2010, 10:01:03 PM »

Limited slip differentials do not lock.  They limit the slip of the wheel with the least traction.  Locking differentials will lock and turn both wheels at the same rate.

Proof that I'm not a truck guy, eh?  I thought a limited slip would transfer power from the spinning rear wheel to the non-powered rear wheel so that they were both powered?  No?  I thought a locker was locked all the time and only unlocked while going around corners.  IIRC, when I was trying to determine if the 'burb had a limited slip and if it was working, I did a little "power brake" burn out in the gravel driveway and then inspected my tracks to see if both rear wheels were spinning, or just one.....both were spinning (ie, getting power).

Malena
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »

Well, the cables I purchased seem to fit with enough clearance, although after installing one in the nice dry (although kind of cold) driveway I think I'd prefer a sock.

My truck did well enough in the snow. Except for the time it decided the defroster on the giant rear window was too much and the window shattered. That was a cold drive home.
gijoecam
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 11:33:04 AM »

Malena, your AWD is actually better than the 4WD that you had on your Bronco.  4 wheel drive on an American truck is basically one front wheel, and one rear wheel being powered.  At the rear, a limited slip differential would eventually "lock" and make both rear wheels powered, but the front would only have 1 wheel being powered.

One little nitpick.  Limited slip differentials do not lock.  They limit the slip of the wheel with the least traction.  Locking differentials will lock and turn both wheels at the same rate.

At least I'm not the only neurotic truck guy that statement was bugging LOL!

To further clarify, limited slips *generally* tend to do just that:  Limit the slip of the low-traction wheel which, for all intents and purposes, causes *some* of the power to be transferred to the high-traction wheel, driving you out of the hole (if you're lucky).  The reality is that, for most clutch-based limted-slips, the maximum torque bias they will sustain is VERY low (Ford's Trac-Lok specs a difference of merely 20 ft*lbs between the sides).  Exceed that threshold, and you may as well just have an open diff.

There are some types of limited slips that do, in fact, limit the slippage of the low-traction wheel.  The gear-based TruTrac, Torsen, and Quaife are considered 'torque biasing' limited slips, and all truly limit the torque applied to the slipping wheel to a particular ratio of the two wheel speeds, depending on the design, gear angles, oil viscosity, etc.  They're a whole 'nother beast for a whole 'nother discussion....

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread about vehicular snowshoes.  :)

'03.5 Coleman Monterey  2004 Jayco Jayfeather 29Y, '00 Ford F-150 4x4

Gallery here

Light travels faster than sound.  That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
PupInNH2
Handle Cranker

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 03:11:09 PM »

My truck did well enough in the snow. Except for the time it decided the defroster on the giant rear window was too much and the window shattered. That was a cold drive home.
Oh crap, that stinks.  Did I miss what kind of vehicle this is?

gijoecam, interesting tutorial.  It would be nice if my Jeep had a differential lock like my tractor.   Cheesy

Mike
pullout dining area
Towed by:
00 Odyssey   Van Green
99 Cherokee  Jeep
austinado16
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 08:43:33 PM »

Thanks for more info.  I'll have to look further into how the "Governor Lock" LSD on my 'burb works.  Maybe it's not an LSD, maybe it's a locker.
mx5tc
Handle Cranker

Lisle, IL

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 10:40:10 PM »

It's not an LSD; it is a locker type dif.  Do a Google search on GM Gov-Lock and you'll get some interesting results.

2000 Rockwood Freedom 1620 (8' box)
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee TV
austinado16
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 11:07:10 PM »

Okay that makes sense.  I know they are a poor locker...everyone calls the the Dove-Bomb because they grenade easily if loaded hard, like a burnout on dry pavement.

I was actually planning on installing an Eaton because I didn't even think I had a locker (or LSD) at all, and wanted better snow traction for skiing.  The shop pulled the rear cover and voila'.......a Dove-Bomb in perfect working condition.
Malena
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2010, 10:20:40 AM »

Mike, that was a late model Ford Bronco (last year they built it-'96). The rear window cranks down into the tailgate and apparently they have a tendency to pop every once in a while running the defrost when it's really cold. Sure, it made me jump, but for as long as I had that truck, it was a small inexpensive repair. I didn't reconnect the defrost after that.

Back to socks.
radimus
Back-er-in-er

« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 12:16:48 PM »

Austin, if your Burb still has the RPO sticker on it snap a picture of it with your digicam.  Then when you're in front of your computer do a search for GM RPO and the year range for your Burb.  You'll probably find a list of the RPO codes, from which you can determine what options your Burb was ordered with.

As to whether your Burb has a factory locker or not, look for G80 on your RPO sticker.  That's the code for the factory locking diff.

rad

hybrid Red 2007 Starcraft Antigua 215S
 SUV Red 1997 GMC Yukon * 1999 GMC Suburban  SUV Black
1991 Ford F-150   Pickup Blue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: