September 20, 2014, 11:58:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing cracks or holes in ABS plastic, how I did it.  (Read 19049 times)
rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« on: September 04, 2009, 01:54:22 PM »

I originally had a thread called looking for source of ABS flat stock. I found the material I needed and have completed the repairs on the hole punched in an ABS plastic panel on my Coleman Cheyenne.  My source for the ABS was : http://www.smallparts.com/

Here is what I did. I took some of the ABS flat stock and drilled it with a 1 inch paddle bit to get shavings. I took about 1/2 cup of shavings and covered with MEK solvent in a sealed jar. Shook the jar occasionally and the shaving melted into a goo the consistency of honey (took about a day). Add more MEK if too thick, add more shavings if too thin.

First picture is the front storage box on my PUP

This picture shows the front storage box on my PUP. I was getting water in the box and traced it to the 2 reflectors on the right. I could see a crack in the ABS panel above and below the reflectors. Someone had used silicon caulk to patch the cracks but the silicon was separating from the ABS material.

I removed the 2 reflectors and found about a 2 inch hole in the ABS. Apparently the previous owner had used the reflectors to cover the hole.

Cleaned the area well with the MEK solvent on a rag.  The MEK also does a good job removing the silicon caulk from the previous repair attempt.This also softens the ABS and helps it bond to the new material. I cut a piece of the flat ABS stock about 4 inches square. I used 1/8 inch stock and this was probably overkill as the storage box is only 1/16 inch thick. Applied the MEK/ABS goo to the patch and applied over the hole. Held in place for about 2 minutes and the goo was set up enough to hold in place. As you can see, although I bought white ABS the flat stock has a definite yellowish tinge. I plan on painting to match. Picture shows patch in place.

Waited about 2 hours and used more of the goo to fill in around the patch and fill the cracks above and below the patch. I found out with the goo the consistency of honey it flows very well and is almost self leveling. I used a 1 inch disposable foam brush as an applicator. Do not over work the material because it sets up rapidly and will starts to clump up as it sets.  If you get some uneven spots, wipe with a rag dipped in MEK and it will take down the rough spots. Don't try to reuse the brush as the MEK dissolves the foam also.  Picture shows the patch completed.

Waited a day for the MEK solvent to totally dissipate. Painted the patch with a Krylon Fusion  (made to stick to plastics) spray can. White (Satin finish) seemed the best match for my existing color and gloss. Also protects the ABS stock and patch material from UV damage. Picture shows finished paint job.

Last picture shows the reflectors reapplied. I am happy with the way it turned out and it was very easy to do.  If you are going to try patching with the MEK/ABS goo, make sure you actually have ABS in you patching goo. All white plastic is not ABS. The MEK will melt most plastics, but the goo will not bond to ABS if you use some other plastic. A good source of ABS for goo is white LEGOs (you know the plastic toy building blocks).  Hope this is helpful.

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
The Becks
Chocks-a-lot

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 02:57:19 PM »

Nice!  Thanks for the details.

2008 Fleetwood Saratoga
1000 lb Weight Distributing hitch
Friction sway bar
2006 Saturn VUE

"The only thing in Creation that is constant, is change."
austinado16
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:38:50 PM »

Nice work!
travel lite
Wheel Chocker

This is our home away from home (Tifton, Georgia)

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »

You did a great job, and thanks for the instructions. I printed them cause I'll probably need them one day.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:43:39 AM by travel lite » Logged
99lakewood
Handle Cranker

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:52:36 PM »

Nice job. I Just posted a question about Krylon Fusion. How long ago did you paint and how is it holding up? Im going to start repainting my roof in the AM. thanks for the look at the pic's the paint looks like a grate match.
rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 01:57:43 AM »

I only completed that repair job last week, but I repaired another small crack about 6 weeks ago and painted with the Krylon Fusion paint. It has been in the sun the whole time and seems to be adhering to the ABS fine.  The Krylon satin white seems t be a perfect match for the stock Coleman white. Gloss level is perfect.

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
SpikedCactus
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »

PopUp Green  Pickup Blue  SUV Grey

Curious now that it has been over six months if it is still holding and how the paint is holding up.  We found several cracks in roof/lid as well as on our storage lid on our 2001 Coleman Westlake this spring and we are trying to see about how to fix them.  Hubby is incredibly handy with repairing things and caulked them, but has never worked with MEK or the ABS.  We would be looking at two large repairs on the roof and one or two smaller repairs on storage lid.  Any help would be terrific.

rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:11:13 AM »

The repaired patch is holding up great. The only suggestion I would make is on the larger cracks, I would use some self sticking fiber glass mesh tape and use the MEK goo over that. Find the tape in the drywall section of your big box store.

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
SpikedCactus
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:44:17 AM »

PopUp Green  Pickup Blue  SUV Grey Texas
Thanks.  We will look into that.  We contacted a local custom trailer maker and they are willing to look at it to see about a custom made top and pricing that, but if that fails, we need to do something.  Seems a shame to simply not be able to use the trailer because of this problem.

BBW

skipro
Back-er-in-er

Sevierville, TN

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 08:50:16 AM »

Not use your PUP until it's fixed?  That's what they make white duct tape for!

2013 Trail Lite 200S
2002 Coleman Bayside - Loved the room, hated the roof.
2013 Ford Expedition
1988 Coleman Chesapeak gave us 14 good years
xkuzme1
Back-er-in-er

I live vicariously through myself!

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 12:53:50 PM »

Nice write up... and I dont even have an ABS roof.

TV 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited              
          being pushed by a
   2012 Jayco Swift SLX 184BH
Louis
Handle Cranker

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 02:26:15 PM »

Great job, documentation, and now camping I hope!  I tormented about the fix for our Cheyenne cracks around the gasket edge.   Got an epoxy instead of the Mek mix...  [you can tell ABS, if you put the shavings, or a cut of..
{indoor plastic window shades are ABS}.. in water~~~ it sinks ]  Then cleaned with a solvent and made the "V" cut and the hole at the top of the crack to stop the progress.  After the 'glue' application, I bought Grizzly Grip [thanks to a well supported back up on this forum]  and applied the textured 2 application for UV protection.  Unfortunately we 'store' our Camper in the sunny driveway.  And I think the sun severly compromises all of us.  All exterior house paint now has UV protection.  I'd suggest not the textured... abrasive when attaching the rubber cord for over the bed canvas..  also tends to collect the debris when camping under trees.  Love the job though, I'd show pics but have yet to learn how.  It does look good!!!
khwtww
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 07:16:02 PM »

The two cracks on my 2002 Cheyenne are on the rear panel - not the roof itself.  Each of the cracks are about 6 inches long.  I believe the original owner backed into a solid snow bank.  The epoxy I applied 5 months ago has already yellowed.  They are not in a place that an extra piece can be applied like the whole under the reflector.  Suggestions?
rjniles
Back-er-in-er

Georgetown SC

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:49:44 AM »

khwtww,

Drill a small hole (1/8" at the end of each crack to prevent it from spreading, clean the area with MEK. Cover the crack with self stick fiber-glass  mesh tape (used for dry wall taping). Coat with the MEK/ABS goo. Wait 24 hours and paint with the Krylon Fusion paint.

Bob & Sandra

2002 Coleman Cheyenne
2007 Chrysler T&C
khwtww
Kindlin' Collector

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 08:40:42 PM »

Perfect - thanks!  Now I just need to wait for some warm weather!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: